Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Antarctic Ice Discussion

pottyprof

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

A few days ago new record set http://www.forbes.co...another-record/, Continued growth of sea ice for 33yrs http://arctic.atmos.....antarctic.pngm

When you read this about the author, James Taylor...

I am senior fellow for environment policy at the Heartland Institute

...you can predict with a surprising degree of accuracy the tone, sources and fallacies that are going to appear.

Anywho, when he learns the difference between sea ice and ice shelves, report back and I might reconsider my opinion on him...

Edited by BornFromTheVoid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

A few days ago new record set http://www.forbes.co...another-record/, Continued growth of sea ice for 33yrs http://arctic.atmos.....antarctic.pngm

This is what jumps out.

-----------------------------------

Indeed, none of the mainstream media are covering this important story. A Google News search of the terms Antarctic, sea ice and record turns up not a single article on the Antarctic sea ice record.

Its very sad for the scientific community

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

When you read this about the author, James Taylor...

...you can predict with a surprising degree of accuracy the tone, sources and fallacies that are going to appear.

Anywho, when he learns the difference between sea ice and ice shelves, report back and I might reconsider my opinion on him...

But he is right regarding the lack of coverage of the Antartic in the mainstream media... you can't just shrug it off by saying it's only sea ice...it's setting new records for Pete's sake.
  • Like 1

Posted

But he is right regarding the lack of coverage of the Antartic in the mainstream media... you can't just shrug it off by saying it's only sea ice...it's setting new records for Pete's sake.

I'll have to refer you to my last post, just above yoursPosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Oi! You can leave me out of it!Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I'll have to refer you to my last post, just above yoursPosted Image

Im talking about on the television not the internet. You always hear about how bad the Arctic is on telly but we never see any report on telly regarding the record gains in the Antartic.

Oi! You can leave me out of it!Posted Image

Forgot your name was pete...Posted Image
  • Like 1

Posted

Not talking about people blogs talking about the media try finding info on any media any out let

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-19658013

Good luck in finding one comment (several videos on artic ice)

No 'debate' here just observation

If the antartica ice extent was at a record low do you not think it wouldn't be on front page of every media outlet.

• Like 2

Posted

This is what jumps out.

Indeed, none of the mainstream media are covering this important story. A Google News search of the terms Antarctic, sea ice and record turns up not a single article on the Antarctic sea ice record.

Its very sad for the scientific community

Yes good point they only want to print scaremongering articles thats what the link was saying.

Posted

Right guys, calm down!

For the past 3 months' the state of the Arctic has hardly been out of the news - the whole world knows about it! But, as for the Antarctic, give it time. It'll not be long before the whole world knows about that too...

After all, this is a weather site; we are bound to latch-on sooner?

Posted

Antartic gained 140,000 km"2 overnight sixth highest ever recorded another day like today and all records will be broken

arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/timeseries.south.anom.1979-2008

Posted

Im talking about on the television not the internet. You always hear about how bad the Arctic is on telly but we never see any report on telly regarding the record gains in the Antartic.

That's not what the Forbes write up was about though.

As I said, these are just daily records, not annual. The Arctic has set numerous daily low records that weren't even mentioned on here, let alone on TV.

The big deal about the Arctic this year is that it's about 50% lower than average, with the volume about 25% of what it was in the 80s.

Even with the Antarctic daily record, the actual difference compared to average is only 7%.

If people want to complain that Antarctic daily records aren't making the headlines, then they should first start by taking the same view with Arctic daily records. Fair is fair.

Also, just to be clear. My now deleted post that mentioned "lies" and "dis-informers" was related to the Heartland Institute, not anyone here!

Posted

That's not what the Forbes write up was about though.

As I said, these are just daily records, not annual. The Arctic has set numerous daily low records that weren't even mentioned on here, let alone on TV.

The big deal about the Arctic this year is that it's about 50% lower than average, with the volume about 25% of what it was in the 80s.

Even with the Antarctic daily record, the actual difference compared to average is only 7%.

If people want to complain that Antarctic daily records aren't making the headlines, then they should first start by taking the same view with Arctic daily records. Fair is fair.

Also, just to be clear. My now deleted post that mentioned "lies" and "dis-informers" was related to the Heartland Institute, not anyone here!

I'd just like to receive an unbiased report whenever they bring up the issue... Edited by Seselwa

Posted

I'd just like to receive an unbiased report whenever they bring up the issue...

To do that, best thing is to look at the data yourself. It's all freely available on the internet.

I think we'd all love to see unbiased reporting of climate change and issues such as this. Something we can all agree onPosted Image

Posted

Right guys, calm down!

For the past 3 months' the state of the Arctic has hardly been out of the news - the whole world knows about it! But, as for the Antarctic, give it time. It'll not be long before the whole world knows about that too...

After all, this is a weather site; we are bound to latch-on sooner?

When?...When it starts melting again...

Posted

I'd just like to receive an unbiased report whenever they bring up the issue...

So go to the proper science institutes?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

When is the average maximum set in the antarctic roughly?

I always thought it would be around same time as the artic bottoms out? Is it likely to grow any more so late?

Edited by mullender83

Posted

So go to the proper science institutes?

I'm talking more for everyone that watches the telly, the people that don't know the fact that Antartic is gaining ice...(not us weather folks that look at every graphs or records) the fact that if they report what is happening in the Antartic, peolple might start to doubt how accurate they are about their predictions...look at this for example "Most model predictions have sea ice declining less fast. Will a model ever be able to model mother nature?

Posted

When is the average maximum set in the antarctic roughly?

I always thought it would be around same time as the artic bottoms out? Is it likely to grow any more so late?

On average, the southern max area occurs 3 days ago. The minimum Arctic area occurs on average little over 2 weeks ago.

I'm talking more for everyone that watches the telly, the people that don't know the fact that Antartic is gaining ice...(not us weather folks that look at every graphs or records) the fact that if they report what is happening in the Antartic, peolple might start to doubt how accurate they are about their predictions...look at this for example "Most model predictions have sea ice declining less fast. Will a model ever be able to model mother nature?

Lets look at it this way. With all the flooding and wind going on in parts of the UK, should I complain that nobody is covering the fact that parts of southern Ireland are having one of the driest Septembers on record?

You cover what matters. The Arctic sea ice loss has been huge and is affecting weather across the hemisphere. The Antarctic sea ice gain trend is very small and isn't really effecting anything.

Posted

I cannae really answer that, S. I don't watch television!

Posted

On average, the southern max area occurs 3 days ago. The minimum Arctic area occurs on average little over 2 weeks ago.

Lets look at it this way. With all the flooding and wind going on in parts of the UK, should I complain that nobody is covering the fact that parts of southern Ireland are having one of the driest Septembers on record?

You cover what matters. The Arctic sea ice loss has been huge and is affecting weather across the hemisphere. The Antarctic sea ice gain trend is very small and isn't really effecting anything.

We have no idea what or how ice gains/losses are affecting weather patterns. It would be nice if the BBC had one article on antartica sea ice they dont well apart from recent things like

Antarctica warmth 'unusual, but not unique'

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-19348427

We shouldn't as mentioned need to 'debate' the bias as it clealry exists (all media outlets) .End off. The reasons could be debated but maybe for another thread.

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 1

Posted

Southern Ireland's lack of ppn isn't that important Posted Image

Posted

Well Antarctica, being enclosed by the Circumpolar Current, may not be that important either?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

You're possibly right re. media bias etc, and right that if it's needed it'd be better in a new thread. However, there is clear and obvious 'bias' between the importance/significance of what's happening in the Arctic (major significant long term dramatic changes to the whole dynamic of the region), and the Antarctic (slight variation around a generally static long term mean). So in some ways it's hardly surprising the Arctic news is getting more coverage than the Antarctic. It's like two car accidents, one a major pile-up involving much destruction, and the other a minor prang which caused a small dent - and we know which of these two would make headline news.

Posted

Exactly!

Posted

Well Antarctica, being enclosed by the Circumpolar Current, may not be that important either?

No...only that it continues to grow despite AGW... as you mentioned earlier, we'll be hearing about it when it starts melting long term.