Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2011 Stormchase Chat & Banter

Paul Sherman

Posted

I only noticed your LITTLE joke now Pat!, dont be stressing me out please! :smiliz23:

Ill hav enough worries leaving the country for the first time by myself! ha

Your Ok...

I always think act like a local if your on your own at night...But I think your meeting John also so should be fine.

Dub is there a big price difference with your Airport Hotel compared with Best Western?

I havent had time to look as was going to book this weekend.

On another note...In 1998 I went to SanFransico to stay..

Because I didnt know the area I stayed in a place called The Tenderloins....

very scary place....

When I got back home I watched COPS on TV and found out that the Tenderloins as the highest Murder rate In SanFransico :w00t:

Here is another stupid story...I walked the streets of Chicargo at 2.30am :help: NEVER DO THIS!!!

I nearly got mugged or murdered by to guys.. :ph34r:

I bluffed my way out of a very dangerous situ....I WAS LOST IN THE STREETS OF CHICARGO :rofl:

Truly...

I have learnt now..

I am only safe if I stay with the guys.

On a Chicargo Sub train...I took a wrong connection and ended up In SouthSide :help:

where the train was full of gangs....One gang was talking who they shot in the day over a lawn mower.. :help:

yes I got off the next stop :crazy:

Hard to believe but I swear true

Im a bit more wise these days

LOL..And the time a copper resued my from downtown LA..in the DAY..LOL..I could go on...lol

Or the time I danced with Axel(Guns and Roses girlfriend in Hollywood...and nearly got my head blown off...LOL...

My wild rock days....

pic of Cop who rescued me

Its only safe for me to Stormchase

My wife said I am only allowed to StormChase these days or its divorce

post-3696-0-77799700-1295441640_thumb.jp

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Your Ok...

I always think act like a local if your on your own at night...But I think your meeting John also so should be fine.

Dub is there a big price difference with your Airport Hotel compared with Best Western?

I havent had time to look as was going to book this weekend.

Ah ill be grand once i get to where im going... its the connection flight ill be stressing about , thats why i picked one with a good lent of time to change over :) 4hrs 50mins to be exact, :rofl:... i wonder what ill do for that time ha.

Ye Pat, its double that price for the Hyatt hotel. Mainly because its an airport hotel id say, but ye , i dont mind myself as its looks nice .

Ian

Posted

Ah ill be grand once i get to where im going... its the connection flight ill be stressing about , thats why i picked one with a good lent of time to change over :) 4hrs 50mins to be exact, :rofl:... i wonder what ill do for that time ha.

Ye Pat, its double that price for the Hyatt hotel. Mainly because its an airport hotel id say, but ye , i dont mind myself as its looks nice .

Ian

Dub They normally change your suitcases for you automatic..but do ask..

so you dont have to worry..but do check

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Dub They normally change your suitcases for you automatic..but do ask..

so you dont have to worry..but do check

Oh yes , i shall be DOUBLE checking haha... Also happy that the new Dublin Terminal 2 has a part for Pre Clearence to the US now , so i wont hav to be waiting long when i arrive over there :).. Just grab my suitcase, and stroll "upstairs" to the hotel haha ... Gonna book this weekend.

Posted

But on the flip side of the deemed dangerous part of America where we go could not be safer. Have often left Car windows fully open at night with Laptops in them on the Outskirts of Oklahoma City with no problems. In fact have been going since 2004 and never come across any problems at all, the people are Salt of the Earth who would do anything for you, even the cops have a laugh and joke with you when they find out we are Limeys! The Oklahoma Truck full of Teenagers who helped with the Changing of the flat tyre last year springs to mind, as does the Kansas Farmer who towed us out of the Ditch with Multiple Tornadoes bearing down on us in his Green John Deere Tractor and not wanted anything for his efforts.

It still amazes me the Cops who are also the EM Over there do not have Radar in there Patrol Cars and regulary stop to look at our data, happened 3 times this year, Remember Woodward, Senora Day and Dumas when the Sheriff came up and the amazing thing is they even know the terms :lol: The Sheriff of Dumas said to me, what do you reckon Right Mover, if it splits it will Tornado :lol: :lol: Can't see the Cops over here saying things like that

Paul S

Posted

yes completely agree Paul 100%

The Plains ect is far safer than the big cities...Have felt alot safer with you guys..

ps..Paul

you have a bigger spot on my page now :pardon:

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Agree that most of the area is very safe, though I did have one scary experience in Arlington, TX with a drug deal going bad right outside my room. (peered through the window to see guns drawn! I hid in the bath for the next hour!) I was staying in a complete dive of a place near the big theme park on a down day. No way the netweather guys would stay anywhere like that! That is far and away the exception though. Even in Midland which is notorious as being one of the crappier cities in Texas (and birth place of George W. Bush), I got away with being pretty much unconscious on my bed all night with the motel room door wide open and all my gear either in plain view or in the open boot of the car without anything going missing (yay food poisoning). Outside of 1 or 2 of the bigger Texas cities, everywhere seems very safe and you really have to search to find the grottier places :p I wouldn't worry much at all about safety concerns...

Posted

You going Solo again Nath ?? Or have you got someone to split costs. Also what days are you travelling, think the BA Sale ends today

Posted

....even the cops have a laugh and joke with you when they find out we are Limeys!

Paul S

Aha so was Tyson Darling peed off that day then :diablo:

Not a smile or even slight lifting of the eyelid was to be seen.

Neither was "Have a great Day" to be heard

Agree that most of the area is very safe, though I did have one scary experience in Arlington, TX with a drug deal going bad right outside my room. (peered through the window to see guns drawn! I hid in the bath for the next hour!) I was staying in a complete dive of a place near the big theme park on a down day. No way the netweather guys would stay anywhere like that! That is far and away the exception though. Even in Midland which is notorious as being one of the crappier cities in Texas (and birth place of George W. Bush), I got away with being pretty much unconscious on my bed all night with the motel room door wide open and all my gear either in plain view or in the open boot of the car without anything going missing (yay food poisoning). Outside of 1 or 2 of the bigger Texas cities, everywhere seems very safe and you really have to search to find the grottier places :p I wouldn't worry much at all about safety concerns...

So in summary,

If the criminals don't get you the food does :oops:

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

anyone fancy a holiday in Odessa :rofl: :w00t:

Remember the filthy looks in bandit country :rofl:

One Supercell that was to far..lol

CenterParks doing a Holiday in Midlands...and Butlins for Odessa

fastest filling up of the cars in the WEST.

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

You going Solo again Nath ?? Or have you got someone to split costs. Also what days are you travelling, think the BA Sale ends today

Everything is up in the air for me at the moment. Work is being crap with my new boss not able to confirm whether I can get the time off. I signed onto a project which was supposed to be from October-December of last year but it keeps getting put back and this week it has ended up being set for a deadline of mid May... I was supposed to get confirmation last week if I could get the time off but now I won't know till Friday. If I can go, I'll fly out alone and just mill about with the chaser I happen to bump into. Met a lot of people last year who I'll probably hook up with again if I'm in the area :) Just hope work pulls through and I'm allowed the time off (I only gave them 49 weeks notice!!! :() Tentative dates were May13th - June 4th.

So in summary,

If the criminals don't get you the food does :oops:

Oh yes... That is easily the closest I have come to dying storm chasing... and I got stuck in a field in the path of the Bowdle Supercell and had a tornado touch down 50 yards from my car....if that...

I pretty much blacked out whilst driving and came to with 2 wheels in the grass. Collapsed as soon as I got into a motel room at about 6pm that evening, woke up in the early hours and spent the next two days being violently sick and other indescribable horrors relating to bodily fluids ;). I felt sorry for the mcdonald's cleaners at about every service area on the road to Sherman the following day... Avoid the Walmart popcorn chicken if you are in Roswell ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Hi folks

I have another message from Travis, head of tourism "Bald Knob, Arkansas"

Tom

Oh yes , i shall be DOUBLE checking haha... Also happy that the new Dublin Terminal 2 has a part for Pre Clearence to the US now , so i wont hav to be waiting long when i arrive over there :).. Just grab my suitcase, and stroll "upstairs" to the hotel haha ... Gonna book this weekend.

Well I must say a lot has changed in Ireland since my ancestors left there for the USA during the potato famine

Tom :wallbash:

Edited by Tom Lynch

Posted

Just a little few facts about the team that will be looking after you guys whilst out in the Plains this Spring

Paul Sherman - 213 Chase Days by the end of 2011 with 43 Tornadoes - Ever Present since 2004

Tom Lynch - 187 Chase Days by the end of 2011 with over 20 Tornadoes - Only Missed 2006 since 2000

Ian Cameron - 149 Chase Days by the end of 2011 with 32 Tornadoes - Ever Present since 2007

John Hanrahan - 40 Chase Days by the end of 2011 with 5 Tornadoes - Ever Present since 2008

Nick Finnis - 77 Chase Days by the end of 2011 with 20 Tornadoes - Chased every year since 2007 except 2010

Ian Michaelwaite - 32 Chase Days by the end of 2011 with 1 Tornado - 2nd Year with the Netweather Team

Paul Michaelwaite - 32 Chase Days by the end of 2011 with 1 Tornado - 2008, 2010 and 2011 with the Netweather Team

Arron Hiscox - 68 Chase Days by the end of 2011 with 8 Tornadoes - 2009 to 2011 with 1st year as Staff

So just under 800 Chase Days experience with Countless Tornado Intercepts :good:

Posted

Just a little few facts about the team that will be looking after you guys whilst out in the Plains this Spring

Paul Sherman - 213 Chase Days by the end of 2011 with 43 Tornadoes - Ever Present since 2004

Tom Lynch - 187 Chase Days by the end of 2011 with over 20 Tornadoes - Only Missed 2006 since 2000

Ian Cameron - 149 Chase Days by the end of 2011 with 32 Tornadoes - Ever Present since 2007

John Hanrahan - 40 Chase Days by the end of 2011 with 5 Tornadoes - Ever Present since 2008

Nick Finnis - 77 Chase Days by the end of 2011 with 20 Tornadoes - Chased every year since 2007 except 2010

Ian Michaelwaite - 32 Chase Days by the end of 2011 with 1 Tornado - 2nd Year with the Netweather Team

Paul Michaelwaite - 32 Chase Days by the end of 2011 with 1 Tornado - 2008, 2010 and 2011 with the Netweather Team

Arron Hiscox - 68 Chase Days by the end of 2011 with 8 Tornadoes - 2009 to 2011 with 1st year as Staff

So just under 800 Chase Days experience with Countless Tornado Intercepts :good:

Question

if so many tornadoes happen around them. Are they safe to be near??

8)

Edited by Tom Lynch

Posted

Question

if so many tornadoes happen around them. Are they safe to be near??

8)

You are our only worry Mr Lynch :hi:

Thanks Cookie - You will be in Safe Hands, just stay away from Travis! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

and Pat .he's a bad influence!

Edited by duckeyh

Posted

The American Airlines sale ends on the 26th Jan. I found the same flights on the AA site as the BA site for £100 less

Posted

I just want may to come round quicker now!! B)

LoL so do my work colleagues,..........I'm driving them nuts :help:

BTW I won't be joining you guys on the BA flight out ...I'm off to Canada :yahoo: ........will definately need a hair of the dog on the 28th though :drinks:

Posted

Why you worried about me boss???

I just want may to come round quicker now!! B)

you will be amazed how quickly it arrives old bean

Start preparing a check list of everything you are going to bring. Don't leave it till the last minute.

Tom

Edited by Tom Lynch

Posted

Well i'm another step closer. Just booked my flights with BA. Flying out 11.25 on the 28th April, and returning 17.50 on the 10th May. At least this year I ain't got passports and Esta to worry about!

Posted

Why you worried about me boss???

you will be amazed how quickly it arrives old bean

Start preparing a check list of everything you are going to bring. Don't leave it till the last minute.

Tom

Tom,

do you have any clips of my huge tripod?

:smiliz19:

Ton any clips of my huge tripod?

Edited by dogs32