Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

*Save Rob McElwee!*

Posted

I just found another facebook page that was set up supporting Rob, already has over 100 members in 2 days.

http://www.facebook....155543421151961

Edited by Westsussex1

Posted

Just sent a stonking e-mail to the Met Office, with a tweaked version on the way to the BBC shortly. It's been "in development" for days, but I finally got round to finalising it this arvo and I'm well proud of the finished version, even if I do say so myself! I hope they actually read it and reply, and don't just send me a generic response back, else I won't be amused.

Please guys, if you haven't already done so, take the time to write to them about this and tell them what you think about the decision to remove Rob from the TV forecasts. Joining a Facebook campaign is all well and good, but the most effective way of making your voice heard is through the power of speech. (including written) Never underestimate that. :)

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Presenters are there to communicate - put the weather across to the public, to be engaging, to be informative and as a bonus, make you enjoy the weather forecast wherever possible - I find it astounding that any group of HR professionals (or whoever may be at the helm of this LUDICROUS decision) could come to the conclusion that Rob McElwee, Phil Avery and Schafernaker are better OFF SCREEN!!!

Top post there, absolutely bang on the dot.

Well If it ends up way with the big 3 gone, maybe we should all complain to the BBC whenever one of the others come on screen and make just even the slightest mishap? Ok maybe not but seriously this is a ridiculous decision and this error of judgement is certainly getting some attention out there so us guy's n gals best keep it going.

As an aside, did anybody watch the BBC news 24 forecast at 7.27pm this evening, where Rob Mc appeared to quote 'us three' at the start of his own broadcast! I believe he was referring to the three guys in the studio with regards to getting a chocolate tasting job but maybe not?

This is an interesting thread and the very folks involved, may even be reading our input, so we best bear that in mind too.

All the varied views on this, certainly prove the passion we have for our country and its forecasters etc.

Cheers

STORMBOY

Edited by STORMBOY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

go to the bbc center in white city. then go and post them posters ALL around it or have a protest :D

Posted

I've come across a feature during other email contact with the BBC: if you post a general comment, they can either not respond or just send a general reply; if you ask a specific question (like, e.g., "Does the BBC have any say in over who presents the weather forecast and if so can it overrule the Met Office in this?", they have a duty to respond to the question.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hello fans of the 'Big 3'

Has anybody seen this on the Met Office blog link http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/ where you can post your own opinion on there if you so wish?

A copy of which I post below.

Weather presenters

14 10 2010 It has been reported today in the media that we will be making changes to our team of weather presenters at the BBC. Earlier this year the Met Office secured the BBC contract to deliver weather services across TV, radio, on-line and mobile channels. Our new contract with the BBC requires us to deliver continued high standards of accuracy and consistency within revised affordability levels. To achieve this we have employed a fair and open process to change Met Office staff roles and structure within the BBC weather centre.

Met Office Staff at the BBC weather centre have a range of skills, including key skills in meteorology, with most being fully trained weather forecasters and following a fair and open interview process staff have been placed into broadcasting or management roles that best fit their individual skills and strengths.

Crucially, the continuing partnership between the BBC and Met Office in the provision of weather forecasting services, will enable us to deliver authoritative, reliable, accurate and innovative forecasts on which BBC audiences rely.

Mods, please move to a new topic post if you feel it necessary

Cheers

STORMBOY

Edited by STORMBOY

Posted

Been away for a week so only just caught up on this. Terrible news regarding Sir Rob & Philip Avery, regarding Tomas, meh.

As an older member, I still remember when BBC forecasts were the gold standard. Presented by fully qualified forecasters who not only gave a forecast, but tried to explain & even, (shock horror!), educate a little. They stirred an interest with me that has continued throughout my life. Any youngster today would never have been drawn in to the whole subject by many of today's forecasters who seem to be chosen more for their looks than their forecating ability.

Complain all you like, we may "own" the BBC & the met office, but they don't give 2 hoots for what we think. The people running them are just "managers", to quote an old saying, they know the price of everything & the value of nothing.

Edited by davehsug

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Thats bad in all honesty. Just joined the facebook group and had a little say, also shared it with my vast friends list.

Rob is the best of the lot in all honesty, enjoy his forecasts so much and I think he deserves to do the job at which he does best. Why couldn't some of the less experienced and duller forecasters be moved to the office roll?

Posted

Because they want young, bland and those who toe the line that an overnight minimum of 8C in Shetland in mid-October is disastrous, and that snow is a catastrophe.

Posted

Ah well, the ageist BBC are at it again. Rob will probably be better off anyway, lets face it who watches BBC weather nowadays? The beeb are succeeding in dumbing down their forecasts to the lowest common denominator, their aim being to achieve a GMTV style weather forecast presented by some 19 year old page 3 girl.

As a boy I genuinely loved the BBC forecasts where presenters did not have to behave like robots and were allowed to express emotions and divulge technical information! Forecasters such as Michael Fish, John Kettley, Bernard Davey and of course Ian Mccaskill helped embed my interest in meteorology. Heaven help the kids of today, thank goodness for the internet is all I can say!!

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Oh gawd! wish it had been Dan Corbett! I feel exhausted after his forecasts because he speaks so fast. As for this "grab an extra duvet from the back of the cupboard" or "I think you better remember to take your brolly" - If it's going to be cold or if it's going to rain, just tell me........ I'LL UNDERSTAND!

Yes, I rather agree. His "popular" metaphors and analogies - clearly deriving from his many years forecasting in the States - seem forced, the whole thing delivered in a hurried, sometimes almost manic way. Before somebody takes offence on his behalf, I have no issues whatsoever with him or any others in the team as meterologists; I am talking simply of my personal take on how they choose to communicate with the audience, and how successful that choice is.

Rob McElwie, by contrast (to my taste again) conveys in the same timespan more information, more detail (not to mention those delicious hints at what he thinks may be to come later!), and does so with a twinkle in his eye, and in a relaxed, far more understated way, full of gentle - and very literate - British-style humour. I'm often amazed to find how much he has crammed into his short spot without seeming for a second rushed or under pressure. As an academic in the excellent Guardian article linked to http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/oct/16/bbc-weathermen-being-moved-off-screen by Paul says, "McElwee's forecasts are little masterpieces of concision and wry wit and complicity with the viewer." He is quite simply, for my money, the thinking man/woman's forecaster.

This is a poor, and odd decision by the Met Office - I suspect the BBC would not have made the same one. As others have said, I'm not really sure what team leadership skills (assuming that really is the issue) have to do with the ability to communicate with the public. Perhaps in a civil service context he is perceived as having become too much of an individual - a little cocky or "starry", even - not a "team player". But as has been observed, the ability to know and do the science, and yet please the public (some of them, anyway!) is a rare skill; to do so in an effective way in the short timespan alotted for forecasts is even tougher. Inevitably egos will surface in those who are good at it. But I think - if it is the real reason - that they should show a greater appreciation and tolerance of the "big", charismatic personalities who do it best, provided always that they can and do still get the meteorology right.

Our screens will be far the poorer for his loss.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Although Thomas is for the chop the way he handled the crashed computer on the country file forecast was superb. He wasn't helped by some pillock trying too restart the program behind him which probably sent some people into fits due to the amount of flashing on the screen.

The forecast was presented very well despite the distractions.

Posted

Agreed. That's must be a forecaster's worst nightmare.

I had a response from the BBC, which answered none of my specific points. Moreover, in what way does removing three (or possibly more) of the best forecasters from broadcasting duties improve standards of consistency and accuracy?

"Thank you for your comments.

The BBC weather presenters are professional forecasters employed by the Met Office and based at the BBC. Following a competitive tender process, the BBC recently awarded a new contract to the Met Office for the supply of weather services. As part of its new contract the Met Office has made a few changes to the on-air forecasting team to ensure it could maintain high standards of consistency and accuracy. Familiar faces will continue to provide up-to-date weather forecasts and analysis for our audiences.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us.

Kind Regards

BBC Audience Services"

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Although Thomas is for the chop the way he handled the crashed computer on the country file forecast was superb. He wasn't helped by some pillock trying too restart the program behind him which probably sent some people into fits due to the amount of flashing on the screen.

The forecast was presented very well despite the distractions.

Very impressed by how Thomas handled that, he sure knew his stuff and with all that on the screen!

Posted

Agreed. That's must be a forecaster's worst nightmare.

I had a response from the BBC, which answered none of my specific points. Moreover, in what way does removing three (or possibly more) of the best forecasters from broadcasting duties improve standards of consistency and accuracy?

"Thank you for your comments.

The BBC weather presenters are professional forecasters employed by the Met Office and based at the BBC. Following a competitive tender process, the BBC recently awarded a new contract to the Met Office for the supply of weather services. As part of its new contract the Met Office has made a few changes to the on-air forecasting team to ensure it could maintain high standards of consistency and accuracy. Familiar faces will continue to provide up-to-date weather forecasts and analysis for our audiences.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us.

Kind Regards

BBC Audience Services"

Bit of a useless response from the BBC really.

"maintain high standards of consistency and accuracy" - Rob already shows these qualities, so why get rid of him? He certainly shows more consistency and accuracy than some other presenters.

Very impressed by how Thomas handled that, he sure knew his stuff and with all that on the screen!

Just proves to show that despite what many people think (the weathermen always get it wrong, they read it from an autocue) that clearly he wasn't reading it from an autocue and that he had actually taken all the information in prior to the forecast going on air.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Yep great to see him, top performance....WE GOT TO KEEP ROB!

Dont forget.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB--wRuJWHY&feature=player_embedded

and.....sign up to facebook, Save Rob McElwee

http://www.facebook....21151961?v=wall

Edited by Westsussex1

Posted

My good, that Carol Kirkwood is looking rougher than the Blue Peter garden nowadays. Its an absolutely joyless experience listening to her on BBC Breakfast. If only Rob was on it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

My good, that Carol Kirkwood is looking rougher than the Blue Peter garden nowadays. Its an absolutely joyless experience listening to her on BBC Breakfast. If only Rob was on it.

:shok: I disagree.

I really like Carol and her clear presentation voice.

I've always found Rob's voice rather hard to hear.

He mumbles.

BL.

Posted

Rob has the knack of presenting the weather in an interesting informative way, unlike some of the others who seem to equate quirky with informative.

If he goes it will be a big loss for the overall presentation of weather on the BBC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Has there been any official word from the Beeb? I would prefer it if Thomas Schafernaker went...although he did the same course as I am doing funnily enough.

Posted

The BBC didn't even bother to take the time to reply to my e-mail. Perhaps I didn't direct it to the right place, I just used the contact us link on the BBC Weather website.

Rob is still on the BBC at the moment. Last saw him doing the forecast both on Saturday & Sunday night. And Phil Avery was also on the other night so I don't think any of them have gone yet.

Hopefully after the strong reaction they'll have had a change of heart.

Posted

I doubt the Met Office will have a change of heart in all honesty, this will happen and i am assuming it will happen this month sometime, it will be a sad lost too see these forecasters being off our screens but we have too move on sadly.