Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2010/2011 Part 3

reef

Posted

It's 0.6c with a dp  of 0.1c here. PPN right on my doorstep, with a frost already on the ground I'm expecting hoping for freezing rain or a little sleet. 

Don't get your hopes up im 250m abs and had a frost at 6 then it rained and now thats like glass on the floor then it rained again no snow in sight.

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

It looks like its sleeting here, but the snow that may be falling looks very wet, I'm pretty confident it's snow as it's large and falling slower than the rain (if that makes sense).

Posted

Here's for a repeat performance for Leeds 

post-8968-081283100 1289858894_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Location: Queensbury, West Yorkshire. 327m (1,072ft) [top of road = 406m (1,332 ft)]
  • Location: Queensbury, West Yorkshire. 327m (1,072ft) [top of road = 406m (1,332 ft)]

It's 0.6c with a dp of 0.1c here. PPN right on my doorstep, with a frost already on the ground I'm expecting hoping for freezing rain or a little sleet.

Edit: Alot of the stations on wunderground vary, to the extent that a fair few don't give an accurate temperature reading. My advice would be to use the one I'm using as it's by far the most accurate I can find for Leeds. You can also use Leeds Bradford Airport (210m) but it rounds the temp to the nearest degree and updates on a 30 minute basis. I use LBA for wind speeds only :)

yeah, i live in queensbury and the nearest one i can find is at illingworth at 305masl but it says its 4c, which it quite obviously isnt! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

It is looking a good chance for heavy snow showers in this first real cold spell coming, i know where most likely but i dont want to add any disapointment to the excitment here, i can say im excited! Their may be a feature that affects a large area with snow from the ne, it would take a while to develop as the cold sets up, i dont see this event as a dusting either, enough to build some snowpeople, enough to suprise London! ah should not mention particular places, unless im sure enough ay!

hi one every this is my first post been watching this for a while now and thought i will start talking now things are getting interesting.i am a horticulturalist so have been looking at the obvious signs and i must say most are looking good for a harsh winter but some plants seem to be very confused but its just a waiting game this is not aforecast but i can feel it in bones and have been told by many farmers that it is going to be a very cold winter.

many thanks BFG snow

Edited by bfg snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

http://www.telegraph...on-the-way.html

**Yawn**, they keeping rolling this one out every year !!

It's been suggested that 2010 is a mast year which which is why there are lots of berries. I don't think anyone has ever identified what causes a mast year, however, I suspect that the weather has a part to play.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I still concerned why weatheronline are going for a mainly mild December, issued on Sat 13th Nov, goes completely against thoughts on here and model trends, mmm just wondering if the 06Z on its way to less cold! but surely just a dud run,

cant understand weatheronlines thoughts

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted

I still concerned why weatheronline are going for a mainly mild December, issued on Sat 13th Nov, goes completely against thoughts on here and model trends, mmm just wondering if the 06Z on its way to less cold! but surely just a dud run,

Weatheronline have been really off this year I feel, and not because It's not forecasting what I want. But regardingthe weekly forecasts etc their less detailed and often innacurate and completely change over night.

Will we be seeing a news report like this here this winter? cold.gif

Answer: Probably not, no... sad.gif

Carol needs to get on Net weather :p She'd have a field day :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

I see the meto updates changed again for next week onwards.

UK Outlook for Sunday 21 Nov 2010 to Tuesday 30 Nov 2010:

A good deal of cloud around this weekend, showers or longer spells of rain affecting southern and eastern parts on Sunday when the far south will also be quite windy. Next week conditions will soon turn colder. Northern and eastern parts in particular will remain unsettled and, at times, windy with showers and hill snow, these showers turning increasingly wintry with a risk of snow to lower levels developing later in the week. Parts of the Midlands and Irish Sea coastal areas also at risk from wintry showers later. Temperatures largely below average for the time of year and feeling cold, especially where conditions are windy. The cold theme then continues into the last week of November, with northern and eastern parts most at risk from wintry weather.

Updated: 1208 on Tue 16 Nov 2010

Posted

That isnt the case, more experienced posters are not convinced of a cold winter. This coming winter is looking mild from mid december onwards, some form of northern blocking is likely to occur now next week or so but very much in line with Novembers with a strengthening La Nina. The archives show with northern blocking at this time of year and the strong la lina, this isnt looking good for cold lovers.

Make the most of this up and coming cold spell, if it comes off.

Posted

That isnt the case, more experienced posters are not convinced of a cold winter. This coming winter is looking mild from mid december onwards, some form of northern blocking is likely to occur now next week or so but very much in line with Novembers with a strengthening La Nina. The archives show with northern blocking at this time of year and the strong la lina, this isnt looking good for cold lovers.

I have been thinking about this and it struck me when was the last occasion of a strengthening La Nina coming on the back of a notably cold winter?

1988-89 didn't follow a cold winter

1973-74 didn't follow a cold winter

1975-76 didn't follow a cold winter

Then you got 1998-99 which didn't follow a cold winter.

1955-56 was a strong La Nina and did follow a winter with notable cold episodes (1954-55)

Just a thought.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost
It's an old-wives' weather forecast...

...a heavy crop of berries is meant to be nature providing extra food to get things through a particularly hard winter...

...so lots of berries means harsh winter coming and fewer means a milder one.manyberries indicate harsh winter

so their we are, its natures lrf. :whistling:

Edited by nimbilus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

...a heavy crop of berries is meant to be nature providing extra food to get things through a particularly hard winter...

...so lots of berries means harsh winter coming and fewer means a milder one.manyberries indicate harsh winter

haha, well if thats the case, the bushes must be stocking up for me too. They are plentiful right now.

Although one could argue that a tree's plentiful harvest is because of a good time for growing in late summer and Autumn.

Posted

I wouldnt go as far as saying mild, because if gp is right, its just likely to be atlantic blocking so average and settled seems more likely from jan onwards.

Posted

I wouldnt go as far as saying mild, because if gp is right, its just likely to be atlantic blocking so average and settled seems more likely from jan onwards.

I mean mild winter temps which means to me 7-10 degrees C.

Posted

I would also add that BFTP and RJ have been very accurate in previous winter forecasts and they are going for an epic winter for snow and cold lovers!

Posted

latest surface temps.

post-11361-095382700 1289930227_thumb.pn

Edited by nimbilus

Posted

Although one could argue that a tree's plentiful harvest is because of a good time for growing in late summer and Autumn.

I'd never argue against that statement :nea:

yes but you also failed to mention if the birds start stripping the berries fast then that means it will be a warm winter if the old wives tales are true