Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

72mph gust recorded at Glasgow Bishopton (which is miles away from Glasgow and not even in Bishopton...).

Pretty impressive at any time of year, let alone September.

Not so much the gusts, as the consistent strength doing the damage round here. Some of the trees almost stripped bare.

Posted

Heard it was pretty bad in the Edinburgh area. Nothing to speak of here.........just a bit of breeze and a few showers.

I agree NL..........being baled naked must have been damned uncomfortable!!! rofl.gif

Wind certainly peaking over last 2 hours or so Catch, pretty similar to May for wind speed.

Unsure about the level of damage caused in comparison at the moment?

Pretty similar, that's two 'full leaf' storms in the space of a year.....very, very unusual.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Wind dropped off a bit earlier but it has picked up again in the past hour.

Edited by Allyw12

Posted

Wind dropped off a bit earlier but it has picked up again in the past hour.

Same here, really blowing hard, almost seems to have shifted more westerly as well.

Gusting to 74mph @ Glen Ogle still

Edited by Cheggers

Same here, really blowing hard, almost seems to have shifted more westerly as well.

Gusting to 74mph @ Glen Ogle still

What's the story with the new Met-O weather warnings?? They seem very generic, hopefully we'll get more used to them going into winter.

Posted

What's the story with the new Met-O weather warnings?? They seem very generic, hopefully we'll get more used to them going into winter.

To be honest, I think they are sh........, they look amateurish and as you say very generic. Have even resorted to other sites instead for the most part. Met seem to be very good at Stat's only.

Any way enough of the Met bashing as winter just around the corner, so lots for then..... winds have eased a little, temp around 12C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Well just when I needed my computer the thing started playing up! On hubbie's at the mo' just to say not a lot happened in this area today. We must have been well sheltered by the Lomond and Ochil hills as max gust was only 50.4? A bit breezy still but nothing to write home about.

http://www.fifeweather.co.uk/realtime.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Max gust today here 52 mph just before 9 AM. Still averaging 37 mph so remarkable for the length of time the winds have stayed high as much as for the speed, at least in this area.

Up to 57 mph this afternoon so continued longer than I expected.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Just back from York. I thought I was gonna miss quite an event in my neck of the woods, but upon discovering this afternoon that my sunflowers are still standing it was obvious it wasn't as bad as it might have been. The weather station has the top gust yesterday at 49mph around 2pm.......and nothing since then has got close. Funny, considering how high the gusts were in Edinburgh.

Today is coooooold though. Just 9.5C here now and the wind chill is distinctly autumnal if not winter-like.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Well we've clung on to our puddle of mild moist muck today so it's been 16C and raining mostly. Just got an email from a friend in the French Alps - hot & sunny still. wallbash.gifwallbash.gif I may have to put myself out of my misery soon.... vrooooooooooom and away we go!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Today it seemed even stronger gusts of wind during the day on my lunchtime stroll from the Coal Mine..

Late evening last night also stronger gusts continuing. All calm again now - but certainly not your usual benign September !

Posted

Current temps 9C and occasional showers.Feels quite cool in the wind.

Like the birds we will be migrating south to France to live at the end of October having sold up. All busy busy just now decluttering and starting to pack up.

I will be sorry to leave the forum but with permission will drop in from time to time to say hello. I will continue to post until i actually go.

Posted

Like the birds we will be migrating south to France to live at the end of October having sold up. All busy busy just now decluttering and starting to pack up.

I will be sorry to leave the forum but with permission will drop in from time to time to say hello. I will continue to post until i actually go.

Permission not required, always welcome in here Gilly.

Not sure aboot birds heading south here, House Martins on second brood, although one fell from nest today, RSPB collected.

Posted

Aw Gilly! Still,it's not a million miles away. Nick Sussex moved to France a few years back,but when winter approaches, he is on the forum everyday. I would love to go and live in Kent but feel it's a bit late in the day now to upsticks Just the way things have worked out I suppose. Which area are you moving to? Hopefully where you're guaranteed some sun!!

Posted

Good luck with the move,send us some sunshine back when you can .Don"t think we are breaking any European laws about sunshine exports . Better day today currently 7c no wind and thin cloud which I hope will burn off later.50% of the harvest is still to cut in Scotland so every dry day will be welcome.Most crops here in the North are only just ripe so will not be damaged yet .Further south from from here in the Central Belt and Northern Ireland up to 30% of the grain was blown off by the wind in the last 2 days so there will be some very depressed farmers there.

Posted

We have got 12c, rain and a chilly easterly wind!