Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

As Nov13 said, very nondescript today, 15C here, but looks very chilly next week, Wednesday looks like 4C tops

PS Tis now pishing it doon again, just in time for the weekend.

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Won't be long before these northerly toppler situations are cold enough to be giving snow to higher ground in Scotland, already at that stage for the highest ground probably...

Next week could bring snow down to the lower hills in places. The highest tops have had a cover of snow several times since the 28th August this year already.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

Smashing day today fresh south wind 17c maximum and long sunny periods . Did a bit of tidying in the garden and painting. Ground drying up nicely even some dust blowing about. Cows have started to calve outside so hope it stays dryish don"t mind it turning colder but continuous cold rain is not good for the cattle.Full winter feeding routinefor cattle inside and out has commenced. A bit of late grass has appeared in the last week with the sun and warmth to top up the cows diet..

Posted

I've just been looking through videos on youtube of last winters snow, I still can't believe how much snow there was even though I witnessed it!!

Winters watch is also on for this page.. http://trafficscotland.org/wintertreatment/ we should get the first gritters out soon. Have seen the huge stock piles at the M77 station with all of the gritters with snow ploughs attached ready and waiting :)

Posted
http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/12/10/2011/129549/Crop-Watch-VIDEO-Scots-suffer-damp-harvest-but-south39s-too.htm. Just thought I would add this for interest to show the the extremes of weather the UK has suffered in the last year Maybe G Ps summer forcast was not to far out only the dividing line between wet and very dry was to far south.As far as I am concerned it has been a torrid summer for all outside operations especially harvest with loss of a cow and calf due to lightning in July being a unique event for me, The last weeks settled weather has been a real bonus

Posted

Looks cold enough midweek for snow even down to lower levels in the far north of Scotland, ECM has -6C isotherm digging into N.Scotland and the 528 dam line digs decently far south...Further south inScotland probably snow on higher ground if the precip is about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Looks cold enough midweek for snow even down to lower levels in the far north of Scotland, ECM has -6C isotherm digging into N.Scotland and the 528 dam line digs decently far south...Further south inScotland probably snow on higher ground if the precip is about.

Aye, first real taste of winter looks to be this week. Car is telling me it needs a service soon so I guess I'll get the winter tyres fitted at the same time.

T120 chart below. Suggestions of a re-load, i.e. some northerly topplers in sequence? GFS ensemble means certainly hanging around zero post brief milder incursion following the T120 northerly.

http://hw.nwstatic.c...0Midlothian.png

ecmt850.120.png

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Of course snow is forecast - I'm going to Norway next week. Late last November I was in Norway and the plane was turned back to Bergen due to thundersnow here in Aberdeen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

I was down in the Cotswolds for the last few days and it was like I'd flown down to the south of France. Sandstone cottages, 21C, clear blue skies with not a cloud in sight, people hiking the Cotswold Way in shorts and t-shirts........and everybody having pub lunches in beer gardens. Everyone I met commented on what awful weather Scotland has had this year, which was striking as they're not normally people who notice what the weather is doing up here or even comment on it.....but they all said that it had been painfully apparent even to them how a big dividing line existed between northwest and southeast and it just went on....and on.....and on.

Sitting in a beer garden yesterday without the need for a coat, I got a glimpse of the summer and start to autumn that much of England has had. I'd forgotten what unbroken sunshine was like! I kept looking up nervously for the ever-present cloud about to obscure the sun, but it never came. My dad did remark though, that while they've had rain down there the ground is still bone dry and they do need more of the wet stuff. It couldn't be more of a contrast to here.

Posted

Of course snow is forecast - I'm going to Norway next week. Late last November I was in Norway and the plane was turned back to Bergen due to thundersnow here in Aberdeen.

Dinnae worry, end of the world is next Friday anyway, in which case, we'll all miss out.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2049473/Will-world-end-Friday-Harold-Camping-prediction-Doomsday-Dow-Jones-hits-high.html

Unless of course the end involves the earth being engulfed in raging blizzards that is...biggrin.png

Posted

The Daily Mail is full of hooey! All I'm concerned about it getting home when I am supposed to (on Friday as it happens) - mostly because I am trying out PetPals (who visit & feed) instead of using the cattery... and the pain involved in getting them there. :/

Hmm, Camping has got awfully big ears, hasn't he... I think he's banking on third time the charm with this rapture thing. He had a stroke after the spring debacle - I think he hears his maker calling him home.

Posted

Dinnae worry, end of the world is next Friday anyway, in which case, we'll all miss out.

http://www.dailymail...-hits-high.html

Unless of course the end involves the earth being engulfed in raging blizzards that is...biggrin.png

Bugger, nice way to end my week off!!!tease.gif

Grey breezing day here, 13C with a little bite in the air.

Posted

The Daily Mail is full of hooey!

I hope you don't think I read the Daily Mail. I was just looking for some loo roll to print off when I came across it. wink.png

The Mail is completely banned on the Scottish Politics thread as a valid source of reference material.laugh.png

Posted

The sad thing is, I read a conspiracy forum for giggles and they seem to drag up the Daily Mail every day for something or other and think it is the font of all knowledge. Anyone who questions this paragon of reporting is immediately called a government shill, or a disinfo agent. Anyway according to them, tomorrow we will be enshrouded in cyanide and meteor debris from Elenins tail. *shrug* and then next week YU55 will hit us. Busy week coming... rofl.gif

Posted

You mean like this* SS?

h850t850eu.png

*The above chart is a work of fantasy island. Pressure systems and 850 hpa T's are products of the GFS's imagination and are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events is entirely coincidental

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

http://www.dailymail...-hits-high.html

I did laugh when i read this! A niece who was horrified at me moving to France actually said to me "What if the apocalypse happens when you are there?" My reply ......It wont matter a damn where I am when that occurs, the result would be the same! rofl.gif

Don't mind if it snows this coming week....the colder weather will help kill a few bugs, both human and otherwise.

Lovely day yesterday and reasonable temps today at 13C although it clouded over.

The sad thing is, I read a conspiracy forum for giggles and they seem to drag up the Daily Mail every day for something or other and think it is the font of all knowledge. Anyone who questions this paragon of reporting is immediately called a government shill, or a disinfo agent. Anyway according to them, tomorrow we will be enshrouded in cyanide and meteor debris from Elenins tail. *shrug* and then next week YU55 will hit us. Busy week coming... rofl.gif

Is that before or after the immigrants steal everything from the spaceship carrying a certain princess lands in an arctic blizzard???

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Another nice day here fresh SW wind 12 c and sunny periods .Ground getting dryer so thought I would dig some of the garden and plant the new strawberries ahead of the rain this week.Also did a bit of painting this last week something we hardly got to last summer due to the number of wet days.

Posted

If your on high ground it may well be worth keeping an eye out over the next 4-6hrs on the precip type, would not shock me to see some snow/sleet reports on the higher ground where the precip is heavy enough. Amazingly marginal set-up but you never quite know...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

It was 8.4C when I looked at the thermometer at 9am.......but it's now 5.2C. In fact it tumbled by 2C in 15 mins as the cold front went over.

Raining heavily now.