Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Weather Chat

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

In contrast to the nice weather ye seem to be having in the UK, here in Cork the temperature is just 9.4C, and wet with occassional heavy bursts of rain and a gusty easterly wind. There are even a few minor floods in parts of the city!

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

A rather cool 16C here with a strong and gusty easterly wind but not a cloud in the sight, deep blue skies and feeling pleasant as a result. Very far removed from the raw, cloudy easterly a few members (they know who they are) went on about in the MOD in the days leading up to this easterly spell.

Looks to be an exceptionally sunny start to May with there being a possibilty of the first five days being completely cloudless...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Clear blue skies temp max of 15.2c with a stiff breeze. Very good drying weather (for washing) although drying weather isn't really what we need!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Heavy rain once again, just 9.0C now, lowest of the day so far.

Posted

A chilly day with a raw easterly wind. Much coolee than of late too, only at 11.9c currently

Posted

A clear and sunny day for the most part, with just a little bit of fair weather cloud during the last few hours.

Rather cool for early-May though with a maximum temperature of 12.6C, it feels it in the wind aswell.

Currently 10.6C and 66% humidity.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

A warm and sunny day, although tempered by the fresh and gusty wind, max 19.3c (adjusted).

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

There's a thin line of heavy showers continually tracking over the same area on the W. Dorset coast and into E Devon, right where I've just come back from visiting family. It had started raining quite heavy when we left, and they must have had over 1 hour 30 mins of heavy rain now, While 2 miles either side is virtually dry! They had heavy downpours yesterday, they could share it a bit more lol we need the rain!

Very frustrating! I've had a similar situation today, Showers passed once again (like the last 2 days) just southwest of my location, except a little closer today. Taunton had some pretty heavy rain whilst I was at work this afternoon, and this rain ventured as far east as Fivehead, about 5 miles west of my location. Here- bone dry.

Posted

Very frustrating! I've had a similar situation today, Showers passed once again (like the last 2 days) just southwest of my location, except a little closer today. Taunton had some pretty heavy rain whilst I was at work this afternoon, and this rain ventured as far east as Fivehead, about 5 miles west of my location. Here- bone dry.

This continued for much of the night here as well, (same line as you observed so not surprising I guess) It is still dry here apart from the odd light shower but you don't have to go far NE this morning to see they had a good fall of rain. We were actually taking my brother back to uni in Portsmouth! (where it was rather windy) The soil looked damp/wet and there are large puddles of standing water in some farm gateways etc (on soil not tarmac!)

According to the radar this passed literally within 1-2 miles a couple of times, just like the thunderstorm's downpours on Saturday!

Coming back this afternoon the road was wet again in the same area, but dried up just before home again!

Another interesting point is that unlike most other places it seems, the wind has virtually fallen calm since about 4pm! It must be some effect caused by the hills to the east..

Posted

Glorious unbroken sunshine all day long with just some patchy cloud and Cirrus to the South West, cooler day with a high of 16.5c but felt warm in the sun still despite the gusty breeze.

Currently mostly clear and cooling off quickly, 9.8c

Posted

Wall to wall blue skies with just some light billowy cumulus at times. In the sunshine it felt warm, but this tempered markedly by the very strong gusty east wind which has a real cool bite to it. Tonight certainly feels very cool and if the wind dies down we could see localised frost. Tomorrow should feel very pleasant thanks to the winds becoming lighter but the airmass will be cool so mid teen maxima at best we may not even reach 14 degrees. Tomorrow night could give a widespread ground frost to sheltered northern parts.

Posted

Had quite a moderate air frost overnight, with it dropping down to -1.7C, which surprised me. But then looking at my records, we had 7 air frosts last May (including a -3.3C on May 12th).

The latest recorded air frost each year has been:-

2010 - May 13th

2009 - April 22nd

2008 - May 19th

2007 - April 7th

2006 - April 24th

2005 - May 17th

2004 - March 22nd (!)

2003 - April 22nd

2002 - May 11th

2001 - June 2nd

Posted

Had quite a moderate air frost overnight, with it dropping down to -1.7C, which surprised me. But then looking at my records, we had 7 air frosts last May (including a -3.3C on May 12th).

The latest recorded air frost each year has been:-

2010 - May 13th

2009 - April 22nd

2008 - May 19th

2007 - April 7th

2006 - April 24th

2005 - May 17th

2004 - March 22nd (!)

2003 - April 22nd

2002 - May 11th

2001 - June 2nd

I guess frost isn't a surprise in such a dry and clear setup, even in parts of the South temperatures have been down into the low single figures overnight. We will probably will see a very quick warm up given the low humidity.

Posted

A superb washing drying day with strong warm sunshine, fresh Easterly breeze and humidity just 34% ... 3 loads of washing

done and dried in less than 4 hours!!

Posted

Some fair weather cloud for the first time since Friday this morning but unbroken sunshine all afternoon, not a cloud in the sky, high of 15c.

Posted

The wind has now quietened down considerably and the sky cleared to a lovely warm and sunny evening!

Posted

Another warm sunny day and less wind too. Max 18c.

Posted

Greetings from Madrid! There was a brief but intense thunderstorm here earlier on, with hail thrown in for good measure. It's been warm and humid since then, after the sun evaporated the moisture.

I've been in Spain since last Wednesday and contrary to some of the comments I've read on here it's been mostly warm and sunny. The only real duffer was a dull and rainy day in Salamanca (lovely place) on Saturday, but even then I was treated to a couple of rumbles of thunder and I was sunburnt the next day (completely underestimated the strength of the sun). There are still large snow patches on the mountains near Ãvila, though the town itself is over 1000m above sea level.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

Another lovely day - I sound like a broken record at the moment - lost count of the number of times I have said this in recent weeks. Much less wind about so it felt alot more pleasant than recent days in that respect although there was a bit more cloud about and cooler with temps only getting to 14 degrees - though this is the average for May.

Tonight could see an air frost in these parts - not sure what temp got down to last night but I think it will be colder tonight thanks to much less wind. Not unusual to see air frost in early May it is quite common in these parts still. Last May saw some particularly cold nights.

Tomorrow looks a carbon copy of today but a bit warmer and perhaps a bit more sunshine- so another lovely day, but the last for a wee while it appears with much more cloud from thursday onwards and threat of heavy thundery rain thereon though much more humid which often means lots of claggy cloud over the lake district.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

15.4c max with mostly unbroken sunshine and only a little cloud. Very windy - and a cold one at that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I would like to see permanent Northern lattitude blocking prevail for the next year (a sort of reverse Bartlett only lasting a lot longer) starting off to the North west giving some very cool showery summer weather and then moving into scandinavia during November giving the mother of all easterlies lasting the whole winter with -20c uppers covering the whole country and some massive convections getting right across to the west as well.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

I would like to see permanent Northern lattitude blocking prevail for the next year (a sort of reverse Bartlett only lasting a lot longer) starting off to the North west giving some very cool showery summer weather and then moving into scandinavia during November giving the mother of all easterlies lasting the whole winter with -20c uppers covering the whole country and some massive convections getting right across to the west as well.

yep that is just a dream though and unfortuntely will never be a reality

Posted

That sounds just erm lovely... :bad:

Posted

Another very cool day here for early May with a maximum temperature of 12.1C. There was a mixture of clear spells and areas of high cloud which appeared from time to time. There was quite a strong easterly breeze too, so it felt chilly out of the sun.

It has turned clear and calm this evening though and the temperature is dropping like a stone. Already down to 4.2C now so a ground frost (at least) looks likely.

Posted

Looks like things should warm up nicely over the next few days with 21-22c widely for Friday, less sunny though than it has been but im guessing it will only be hazy high cloud mainly/hopefully.