Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

April Rain - Jersey

Posted

April 2011 - a remarkable month in Jersey as in many parts of the British Isles.

Jersey - St. Helier, the official weather station, recorded a total of just 0.2mm of rain in April 2011 (at ~ 4pm on the 30th). That's the lowest April total of course and equals the all time lowest total in a month with June 1925 and June 1976. Monthly rain records go back to 1864.

At Jersey Airport the total was 0.5mm and one private recorder (with a proper 5" copper rain gauge) had no measurable rain.

It was also the warmest April (data since 1894) with 10 daily records equalled or broken and five days in a row with a maximum of 23C or more. The mean temperature was 13.8C which is 4.0C above the long term average.

Sunshine 282 hours and it was more like summer on quite a few days. I expect we'll pay for it in the end, just hope it's not in the summer proper!

Gibli

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I can't compete with those remarkably low totals but 10.9mm here in April was the 3rd driest month of any in the last

35 years, behind Sept' 1986 and August 1995. 2 rain days ( 0.2 mm or more ) was also the lowest number for any month since I began keeping records in 1963.