Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Reports & Pictures - Chase Day 25

Paul Sherman

Posted

This was an absolutely incredible day and we nailed the High Risk early in the day. I noted on route to lunch that the Low and Dryline were much further west than first anticipated, so headed west out of Ok City to lunch in El Reno (That would later take a direct hit with an EF4/5 Tornado) Watched the Elk City Storm from birth and it was a full blown Tornadic Supercell within 30 minutes. Headed North West and intercepted before 230pm :wacko: Watched the Wall Cloud rotate over our heads and blasted east on Red Dirt roads, went about 8 miles down that road with the Wall Cloud to our North and bingo the first of 3 Tornadoes, a lovely Cone a few miles to our north. Stopped to film this

post-24-0-66064900-1306302048_thumb.png - Birth of Cyclic Supercell

post-24-0-22188400-1306302161_thumb.jpg - 1st Tornado 318pm

After that we blasted North towards Canton and when we crested the hill saw Tornado number 2 which was about a 1 Mile wide Wedge - This just missed Canton thankfully to the North and the 2nd photo is when it was 3/4 Mile wide. We were about 3 miles to it's south

post-24-0-69468100-1306302301_thumb.jpg - 1 Mile wide to our West

post-24-0-88417400-1306302323_thumb.jpg - Moved North and it is 3/4 Mile wide just North of Canton

Followed this east from Canton where the Tornado Sirens were blaring with the Wedge still to our North, the road went North East perfectly and we had rotation above us numerous times with Cone funnels forming all the way, about 9 miles North East of Canton we stopped and filmed a beautiful Elephant Trunk Tornado from Birth to Rope out stage

post-24-0-12580400-1306302484_thumb.jpg - Tornado Number 3

After that we followed some cells through Enid and Storms then went Linear so we cut off the Chase and headed back to Oklahoma City through the damage path of various Tornadoes further South.

post-24-0-66340400-1306302554_thumb.jpg - Outflow Dominant Storm just into Kansas.

Arron will upload the Elephant Trunk Tornado in a mo and John is going to upload raw footage of all 3 Tornadoes in a little bit, this is a must see as it really makes you feel you are in the car with us!

Paul S

Posted

Finally uploaded the raw HD footage of the elephant trunk tornado, this was just jaw dropping and my favourite type of tornado!

I'll upload footage of the first one overnight and post in the morning :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I was on the same storm, pretty much under the meso as it started to develop a wall cloud. I chickened out punching back East under the meso as I thought it could drop at any time, but the as I looked for alternative paths, I pretty much was screwed by a river which none of the county roads crossed. I headed north to Taloga then East behind it in it's wedge state. Was stuck behind oversized vehicles for most of the way and a cell went up over me dropping lots of rain and slowing traffic more. Never saw the wedge. Saw an intense ropeout with tons of dusst and debris flying about. House took a glancing blow losing some of the roof and the entire building looked twisted. Owner was ok and phoning family ahead of the storm to warn them. A grove of trees on the opposite side of the road had taken the direct hit and were splintered and partially debarked. The tornado crossed a mile ahead of me and dissipated maybe a mile on from that house. Had to help clean debris from the road and watched another nice elephant trunk tornado in the distance which was horizontal for a length before touching down displaced from the meso by some distance. Didn't get that on camera as I was 100m up the road from my car lugging roof material off the highway.

Tried playing catchup but was not interested in punching any cores over about 35vil :) Got ahead of the storm by Stillwater eventually. Couldn't find a good vantage point and it was rain wrapped so headed south. Same issue with the tornadic cell north of Okemah which I let go despite being in position to intercept. Headed east to position for tomorrow and get some lightning shots.

Also, I suspect there has been a very strong tornado pass East of Fort Smith. Had incredibly strong Northerly winds in Sallisaw as the storm passed south of me indicative of a strong circulation to the south. Given it's now night, it gives me cause for concern for those parts of AR

post-1731-0-14649300-1306303239_thumb.jp

post-1731-0-78200300-1306303353_thumb.jp

post-1731-0-46551000-1306303381_thumb.jp

post-1731-0-71895100-1306303422_thumb.jp

post-1731-0-03760400-1306303445_thumb.jp

post-1731-0-59025000-1306303478_thumb.jp

Posted

If you ever wanted to see what is powering up a Cyclic Supercell take a look at this photo :clap:

post-24-0-11257000-1306305396_thumb.jpg

John is just finishing off the 6-7 Min Youtube version of all 3 Tornadoes - Bad Internet connection means this will probably be Tomorrow Morning now but it is worth it, has bleeped out me swearing at a Yahoo Driver as well :help:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Wow, wow, wow ... great pictures and footage, you can sense the excitment of seeing the elephant trunk tornado in front of you in Aaron's video.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Wow what a day you lot have had.

Some great phots & looking forward to the video footage later.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Great to see that you finally got to see a tornado in what was a difficult dangerous scenario. Paul must have removed his red cap. Great footage Arron.

Posted

This was an absolutely incredible day and we nailed the High Risk early in the day. I noted on route to lunch that the Low and Dryline were much further west than first anticipated, so headed west out of Ok City to lunch in El Reno

Close call!

Posted

Apparently there was a lot of footage on the stream yesterday evening so I'll pull off the recordings shortly and post them up here :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

If you ever wanted to see what is powering up a Cyclic Supercell take a look at this photo :clap:

John is just finishing off the 6-7 Min Youtube version of all 3 Tornadoes - Bad Internet connection means this will probably be Tomorrow Morning now but it is worth it, has bleeped out me swearing at a Yahoo Driver as well :help:

Absolutely stunning stuff!!

So pleased you got to see some awesome tornadoes, in addition to awesome storms! :yahoo:

This was an absolutely incredible day and we nailed the High Risk early in the day. I noted on route to lunch that the Low and Dryline were much further west than first anticipated, so headed west out of Ok City to lunch in El Reno (That would later take a direct hit with an EF4/5 Tornado) Watched the Elk City Storm from birth and it was a full blown Tornadic Supercell within 30 minutes. Headed North West and intercepted before 230pm :wacko: Watched the Wall Cloud rotate over our heads and blasted east on Red Dirt roads, went about 8 miles down that road with the Wall Cloud to our North and bingo the first of 3 Tornadoes, a lovely Cone a few miles to our north. Stopped to film this

post-24-0-66064900-1306302048_thumb.png - Birth of Cyclic Supercell

post-24-0-22188400-1306302161_thumb.jpg - 1st Tornado 318pm

After that we blasted North towards Canton and when we crested the hill saw Tornado number 2 which was about a 1 Mile wide Wedge - This just missed Canton thankfully to the North and the 2nd photo is when it was 3/4 Mile wide. We were about 3 miles to it's south

post-24-0-69468100-1306302301_thumb.jpg - 1 Mile wide to our West

post-24-0-88417400-1306302323_thumb.jpg - Moved North and it is 3/4 Mile wide just North of Canton

Followed this east from Canton where the Tornado Sirens were blaring with the Wedge still to our North, the road went North East perfectly and we had rotation above us numerous times with Cone funnels forming all the way, about 9 miles North East of Canton we stopped and filmed a beautiful Elephant Trunk Tornado from Birth to Rope out stage

post-24-0-12580400-1306302484_thumb.jpg - Tornado Number 3

After that we followed some cells through Enid and Storms then went Linear so we cut off the Chase and headed back to Oklahoma City through the damage path of various Tornadoes further South.

post-24-0-66340400-1306302554_thumb.jpg - Outflow Dominant Storm just into Kansas.

Arron will upload the Elephant Trunk Tornado in a mo and John is going to upload raw footage of all 3 Tornadoes in a little bit, this is a must see as it really makes you feel you are in the car with us!

Paul S

Sherminator scores again!! :drinks:

Posted

the anoying thing for me is when i booked i nearly went for tour 3 then noticed that it had a bank holiday in it and thought it might be tricky getting that time of work as i have to work them dry.gif

Posted

Another awesome day! Still not had time to post up yesterdays photos either - wouldn't have it any other way though :D

post-26-0-01895600-1306325996_thumb.jpg

post-26-0-74926900-1306325999_thumb.jpg

post-26-0-30665000-1306326001_thumb.jpg

post-26-0-69169000-1306326002_thumb.jpg

post-26-0-83199800-1306326004_thumb.jpg

Posted

Not got time yet to upload to the Netweather Player but here is the Youtube Vid of 2 of Yesterdays Tornadoes. Sorry about the watermark thingi, we had some problems and in a hurry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Fantastic videos, looks like your in for another busy day today as well.

Loving all this action, after what was a quiet couple of weeks.

Posted

Paul's video seems to have got stuck processing at youtubes end. It may sort itself out but if not we'll upload it again later.

Posted

I was on the same storm, pretty much under the meso as it started to develop a wall cloud. I chickened out punching back East under the meso as I thought it could drop at any time, but the as I looked for alternative paths, I pretty much was screwed by a river which none of the county roads crossed. I headed north to Taloga then East behind it in it's wedge state. Was stuck behind oversized vehicles for most of the way and a cell went up over me dropping lots of rain and slowing traffic more. Never saw the wedge. Saw an intense ropeout with tons of dusst and debris flying about. House took a glancing blow losing some of the roof and the entire building looked twisted. Owner was ok and phoning family ahead of the storm to warn them. A grove of trees on the opposite side of the road had taken the direct hit and were splintered and partially debarked. The tornado crossed a mile ahead of me and dissipated maybe a mile on from that house. Had to help clean debris from the road and watched another nice elephant trunk tornado in the distance which was horizontal for a length before touching down displaced from the meso by some distance. Didn't get that on camera as I was 100m up the road from my car lugging roof material off the highway.

Tried playing catchup but was not interested in punching any cores over about 35vil :) Got ahead of the storm by Stillwater eventually. Couldn't find a good vantage point and it was rain wrapped so headed south. Same issue with the tornadic cell north of Okemah which I let go despite being in position to intercept. Headed east to position for tomorrow and get some lightning shots.

Also, I suspect there has been a very strong tornado pass East of Fort Smith. Had incredibly strong Northerly winds in Sallisaw as the storm passed south of me indicative of a strong circulation to the south. Given it's now night, it gives me cause for concern for those parts of AR

Fantasic pics

One mad photo that!, really hope you keep these trips going coz I'm defo getting on one

Another awesome day! Still not had time to post up yesterdays photos either - wouldn't have it any other way though :D

Love the shot with warning in front of it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

amazing shots.

Just a little offtopic

At times the team will switch sound onto the stream so you can hear what is happening as well as see it, we apologise in advance if there is any swearing

Edited by vortex_liam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

Blummin hell that looks awesome!! The structure is amazing. shok.gif

Brilliant photos and videos guys thanks for sharing, today is also looking very good for you.drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

I am really pleased for the team and happy that you all got to see so much yesterday. I like the videos and the photos.

Hope you are lucky in Arkansas.

Tom

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Not got time yet to upload to the Netweather Player but here is the Youtube Vid of 2 of Yesterdays Tornadoes. Sorry about the watermark thingi, we had some problems and in a hurry.

you might want to warn people about the language bud!

However awesome video and it's great to finally see it on a better player :drinks: :drinks:

More vids please :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/05/24/vo.tornado.destroys.trailer.KOCO?hpt=T1

:help: :help: :help: :help:

Edited by Victor Meldrew

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Nature's Fury captured, must be soooo exciting as much as very scary, amazing photos, to me its about getting the action frozen in time..getting that power and beauty as a frame, the strange thing is i get nervous watching tornado videos but excited to, the more we learn about these storms the better, its inportant to study the action, the more we know when and where touchdown is going to occur the better.

storm chasers are brave!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Nature's Fury captured, must be soooo exciting as much as very scary, amazing photos, to me its about getting the action frozen in time..getting that power and beauty as a frame, the strange thing is i get nervous watching tornado videos but excited to, the more we learn about these storms the better, its inportant to study the action, the more we know when and where touchdown is going to occur the better.

storm chasers are brave!!

brave? my wife thinks i'm mad!!

Posted

Jealous much ? !! Ha ! V happy that u guys are in the thick of it now tho, hope it's busy busy busy now till the end of the tours :good: