Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

A Question About Snow in the NH and the Models - at this time of year

Posted

Hi, I have often wondered in the middle of summer whether snow is falling anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere at ground level even in the depths of the artic.

Here is a snap shot of the 850hpa temperatures

ECH0-72.GIF?25-12

In this part of the world it is generally accepted that for snow we need below -5c 850 temps. So does this imply that there is currently no snowfall at all in artic regions at ground level? Curious because the artic is mostly well above -5 850 temps this time of year.

Thanks!

Edited by The Eagle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Hi, I have often wondered in the middle of summer whether snow is falling anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere at ground level even in the depths of the artic.

Here is a snap shot of the 850hpa temperatures

ECH0-72.GIF?25-12

In this part of the world it is generally accepted that for snow we need below -5c 850 temps. So does this imply that there is currently no snowfall at all in artic regions at ground level? Curious because the artic is mostly well above -5 850 temps this time of year.

Thanks!

Although i am no expert it looks to me that snow would definately be fallin somewhere with that chart as there are patches of darker blue indicating -10 uppers and coupled with this chart (which is only 2 hours difference) the Sea level pressure values look to be favourable for PPN to develop, -10 uppers would almost certainly deliver snow.

npsh500.072.png

Posted

The darker blues are -6c though. Not -10. :) And most of the Artic is hardly below 0.

Edited by The Eagle

Posted

The darker blues are -6c though. Not -10. :) And most of the Artic is hardly below 0.

That chart has updated since i posted, the darker blues were there when i posted, at least the -8 to -10 shade and although only over a very small area the MSLP was about 1008 or less in the same areas.

Posted

What i would also add is that the average temps at the North pole are still close to 0c in summer.

Posted

To follow up slightly if you want a specific example on the midnight chart for the Arctic Ocean there is continuous slight snow falling at Cambridge Bay Airport, Nanuvat, Canada., behind the occlusion. The airport is nearly at sea level.

Edited by weather ship

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Reversing the question to a certain extent, does any snow fall near the equator line??? and if so at what time of year, presumably only at very high altitudes one would think.

Posted

Reversing the question to a certain extent, does any snow fall near the equator line??? and if so at what time of year, presumably only at very high altitudes one would think.

Certainly Kilamanjaro (not sure of spelling), and many other mountain peaks I would guess.

Posted

Snow is also found near the equator atop Mount Kenya, the Rwenzori Mountains and several high peaks in the Andes.

Cayambe in Ecuador straddles the equator, and is only point on the equator with snow cover (as well as the highest point anywhere on the line).

Posted

Certainly Kilamanjaro (not sure of spelling), and many other mountain peaks I would guess.

Just shows how poor i am on world geography. I didnt know that kilimanjaro was slap bang on the equator nor did i know it was nearly 20000 feet high, so it was a bit of a stupid question from me really and not only does it have snow on the tops it probably does all the year round!