Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2Nd July 2006: Thunderstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Seeing this thread brings back memories of just how good (bad depending on your preference) that storm was.

In our locality it actually started earlier, around 3pm and flashed and rumbled until early evening.

I don't recall much hail around here but we did have a couple of hours of intense rain with totals in excess of 60mm falling and with some local flooding taking place and a landslide closing the Manchester to Leeds railway over the hill in Wasden.

In terms of flooding it was probably our worst storm since one in July 1975 which did a lot of damage around these parts.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

2nd July 2006 was a day to remember round here, a hot day, cumulus clouds developing and around 4.45pm, it went bang, when a thunderstorm erupted with pea-sized hail, torrential rain and intense CG lightning

1630.gif

1700.gif

1715.gif

1730.gif

Oh boy do I remember that Sunday well! We were away with our caravan at a place called Triangle near Sowerby Bridge in West Yorkshire that day with the dogs. The day had been fantastic just sat outside in the sun until around 430 it started to get hazy from the West- at which point I took all the deck chairs and went and sat in the Caravan. It just got darker and darker until the storm hit us and lasted well into the evening. Luckily although we were sheltered we had a lot of rain and the thunder/lightening was good as well. Thinking about it, that was the last proper storm I've seen, as we moved back to Plymouth in the October and its been a tad rubbish here ever since.