Cold?
IGNORED

August CET

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Post your predicitions here for what you think the August CET will be,

I'm going for 17.6 at present.

Posted

15.1c, probably warm the first week because im away and then nothingness like every August for the remainder, summer will start on 31st August and go on through September.

Edited by conor123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

17.7°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Before I attempt to have a guess, can anyone tell me the average?

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

16.2c

A hot month overall with plenty of fine, dry and sunny weather. 18.5c.

Cheers Optimus. I'll edit this post later with my attempt.

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

20C

Posted

I would say a warm opening week, but otherwise quite cool with high pressure continuing to sit the west feeding in north-westerly or northerly air flows.

15.3 (I would go sub 15, but for the expected warmth of week one, I may revise this in a few days)

Edited by Gavin P

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

16.7c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Hoping that we have turned a corner from next week but i cant see it being long before the dross returns. A slightly below average month capping off a poor summer.

16.2c

Posted

Why would you say that as I would think that considering we haven't had a decent August in a while we should a least be due a good one by now - don't you see a prospect for improvement soon. Remember other parts of the Northern Hemisphere are having hot weather even by thier more continental climate standards - think USA and Russia at the moment - surely the UK and Europe should be due thier turn of above average temps soon! I am going on holiday to Cornwall this year I am really looking forward to it as I have not been to Cornwall in 14 years but I think it is important that we get settled weather as I know that Cornwall can be extra special if you get nice weather!

I think I will go for 17.5C seems more realistic than my 20C prediction for July!

Luke

Posted

Why would you say that as I would think that considering we haven't had a decent August in a while we should a least be due a good one by now - don't you see a prospect for improvement soon. Remember other parts of the Northern Hemisphere are having hot weather even by thier more continental climate standards - think USA and Russia at the moment - surely the UK and Europe should be due thier turn of above average temps soon! I am going on holiday to Cornwall this year I am really looking forward to it as I have not been to Cornwall in 14 years but I think it is important that we get settled weather as I know that Cornwall can be extra special if you get nice weather!

I think I will go for 17.5C seems more realistic than my 20C prediction for July!

Luke

because most of us like to be realistic and not hope cast like your seemingly predictions? 20c for July and 17.5c? Well looks as though you could be a good 5c off thatrolleyes.gif people are allowed opinions. Considering the last time we had a poor june and july, and a decent august was 1871, then there is your answer to the above. Maybe that is why we have had poor Augusts? also you are talking about other parts of world having hotter weather than usual, well they are continental climates, so you expect, we are not! so we are lucky to get a decent week of hot weather in summer.dry.gif

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted

because most of us like to be realistic and not hope cast like your seemingly predictions? 20c for July and 17.5c? Well looks as though you could be a good 5c off thatrolleyes.gif people are allowed opinions. Considering the last time we had a poor june and july, and a decent august was 1871, then there is your answer to the above. Maybe that is why we have had poor Augusts? also you are talking about other parts of world having hotter weather than usual, well they are continental climates, so you expect, we are not! so we are lucky to get a decent week of hot weather in summer.dry.gif

But 41C for NYC at this time of year is still quite a way above thier average - the average high in July in NYC is 28C or 29C so that is at least 12C above average. That would still be the equivalent of me in Liverpool (whose average July max is approx 20C) getting to 32C so even taking into account climatic differences, it is still quite a way above average in NYC or the Eastern Seaboard. NYC could be getting close to an all time high so it is the equivalent of Liverpool experiencing July 2006 temps or London August 2003 temps so I am sure if it can happen thier (i.e. local records being challenged) there is no reason why it can't happen here.

BTW, I thought the last example of a poor June and July being followed by a good August was 1997, not 1871.

Luke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I shall go for 17.0c. :D

Posted

But 41C for NYC at this time of year is still quite a way above thier average - the average high in July in NYC is 28C or 29C so that is at least 12C above average. That would still be the equivalent of me in Liverpool (whose average July max is approx 20C) getting to 32C so even taking into account climatic differences, it is still quite a way above average in NYC or the Eastern Seaboard. NYC could be getting close to an all time high so it is the equivalent of Liverpool experiencing July 2006 temps or London August 2003 temps so I am sure if it can happen thier (i.e. local records being challenged) there is no reason why it can't happen here.

BTW, I thought the last example of a poor June and July being followed by a good August was 1997, not 1871.

Luke

NYC's July avg max is 30°C.

The 38.5°C in Kent in August 2003 was actually far more impressive considering the avg. max of 22°C.

Edit: I thought 1991 was a good example of a year with a poor June, average July and good August.

Edited by EaasmanG

Posted

Luke

Of course it could happen, but what is your point? The fact of the matter is, it is not unnormal for new york to get very hot into the high 30s, it is very rare to get 41c, but then NY is likely to see more extremes in temperatures, what makes you think we should when we are not continental and don't have the same climate? Just because russia and America are getting huge heatwave, does not mean we should, there is obviously an explanation, but any heatwave we get it is only likely to be low 30s as hottest, the odd spots up to 35 every few times a decade if that.

Our climate is different like it or not, end of. Yes new york is 12c above average or so and we can be 12c above average, but does not mean it should occur as often as other countries as we don't get that many extremes, particularly heatwise.

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I'm going to be moderately optimistic- 17.5C, the warmest since 2004.

Posted

I suspect we will have some fairly warm and dry weather to begin with but then this will break down to unsettled weather by the second week, and this will continue for the rest of the month. I'm going for 16C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

17.1ºC for me please.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

1981-2010 average is 16.4C.

I have always expected August to be a poor month this year and remain commited to that with a very poor end.

Will predict in a few days.

Posted

Upon consideration, i will go for 15.9C, 0.5C below the 1981-2010 average.

I may change this on the 29th a little.