Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tropical Storm Franklin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Invest 95L has lost frontal characteristics and maintained convection over the well defined LLC. As a consuquence, the system is now a 30kt tropical depression, the sixth of the season. 06L looks close to becoming a tropical storm as it moves east-northeastwards away from Bermuda, but the depression has only a short time to strengthen as it is forecast to merge with a front in the next day or two. NHC forecast a peak of 40kts.

Posted

Look what I've found on STORM2K forum:

This is from Franklin 2005:

TROPICAL STORM FRANKLIN DISCUSSION NUMBER 8

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

5 AM EDT SAT JUL 23 2005

FRANKLIN...THE STORM...NOT THE FORECASTER...HAS BECOME A LITTLE

BETTER ORGANIZED OVERNIGHT.

Amusing that it was also on a Saturday. I was thinking "Franklin...the storm...not the forecaster...has little time left to live." Will we see more antics with this storm?

From that same discussion (and again, fits perfectly): IT IS QUITE POSSIBLE THAT LITTLE OR NOTHING WILL

BE LEFT OF FRANKLIN...THE STORM...NOT THE FORECASTER...IN 2-3 DAYS.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Sun

Been watching the Tropical Update on weather.com and the forecaster said that Emily has now got it's act together and is a tropical storm again called Franklin. He also mentioned casually that people in the UK should keep an eye on it as it makes it's way towards us...I presumed the North Atlantic would be far too cold to sustain a tropical storm, but ther again, I know very little.

Posted

If it gets here, it will have lost tropical characteristics and have become extratropical (well, almost certainly).

We would still likely experience some wet and windy weather though.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

LOL Wobbuffet!

Indeed, 06L became Tropical Storm Franklin this morning. The storm looked impressive this afternoon, and NHC say that Franklin probably reached a peak of 45kts at this time. However, shear has increased ahead of the cold front and waters are becoming cooler along track. This has initiated a weakening trend, and intensity has fallen to 40kts. Franklin will merge with the cold front within 36hrs.

Posted

Franklin is going to be absorbed by a frontal feature, and is unlikely to even get anywhere near here by the looks of things.

Posted

Franklin is very nearly extratropical. Strong shear has completely removed convection to the northeast of the LLC, which is now entirely exposed. I expect the next advisory to be the last one. Another short lived and weak Atlantic storm!

Edited by Somerset Squall