Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2012 UK Drought

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather

"I think this belief goes back to well it's rained in my area a couple of days so it can't be a drought"

My thoughts are not based on this at all. I look at the overall picture. Ground is still hard here but although we have had some rain areas around me seem to have had more rain. We have had no rain for a while, but as long as there is rain in the air, we have nothing to worry about. More than average rainfall will obviously replenish the reservoirs.

Droughts 'conditions' in this country are so weak. My thoughts are based on facts that rain comes and goes in cycles. River beds will run dry, but will not last long.

Just as much as reservoirs will be full certain times.

We will never be in a position of extreme drought conditions, where reservoirs are less than 10% full, and other countries seem to cope much better than us as we tend to overdo everything.

I will put my mortgage on the fact that this will be over sooner than most people think I that hosepipe bans were unnecessary, but the people at the top must be seen to be doing something, god forbid if they don't.

AW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Other countries cope better with drought as they are use to more prolonged drought.

Obvioulsy reservoirs could be less then 10% full if present dry conditions had carried on but other measures would have been in place long before that happened. e.g water switched off 12 hrs a day etc.

There seems to be this 'idea' the UK cant cope with snow/drought/rain or anything else.

Well we would 'cope' if any major cliamte change led to fundemental changes in our climate.

The fact we live in a land as some would say is boring predictable weather suits me as it makes it the most excitable place to be when something outside our comfort zone happens

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The following areas are set to enter drought status;

Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire, Staffordshire, West Midlands, Warwickshire, Shropshire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire and Gloucestershire.

This will bring the total in drought to 32million

The Environment Agency said it is a question of “when rather than if†parts or all of the East and West Midlands join the drought zone.

The whole country could be subject to water restrictions including hosepipe bans in weeks, experts warned.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yes I agree with the extremely dry spell, but these things do not last and although some small rivers have dried up, and it is rare for this time of year, rainfall in this country is just around the corner.

I bet those rivers that have dried up will be flowing by the end of april, and reservoirs will be replenished to near normal levels. It is hard to say with reservoir levels as they get topped up from local rivers (which must be at ok levels) but currently Bewl is 49% full, Darwell at 47% full, Powdermill at 99% full - but this is ket full to service Darwell, and Weir Wood is 57% full. Although these are low for this time of year, it does not seem drastically low.

We go through dry spells as much as wet spells nd these things will even out. Ok we may be flirting more with the drier spells in this last few years...

I can't say it will be exceptionally wet but this country is in a geographical (if thats the right word) position to receive rainfall consistently throughout the year.

As it stands E&W have had approx 50% more rainfall so far in April to the 11th, with the drries areas - SE approx average but central England approx 100% more than average.

My point is and its just my opinion, that this 'drought' has been overhyped, yes we had a very dry spell but we are not at critical levels and we never will be. I don't believe the hosepipe ban was necessary. April and May are normally wet months and plenty of time for these rivers and reservoirs to be topped up.

Time will tell..........

AW

I find it very hard to believe a completely dried up river will be fully flowing again in 3 weeks, especially at this time of year. As we head into summer we can have plenty of prolonged rain, but because it dries up faster we will almost certainly still be in drought come the end of August.

And April is the driest month of the year statistically. I will still be doing whatever I can to save water.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I find it very hard to believe a completely dried up river will be fully flowing again in 3 weeks, especially at this time of year. As we head into summer we can have plenty of prolonged rain, but because it dries up faster we will almost certainly still be in drought come the end of August.

And April is the driest month of the year statistically. I will still be doing whatever I can to save water.

Dunno some rain like we had 2007 would do it and at the moment it's looking like April is going to be one of the wettest months on the year.

Posted

This April is our wettest month for 8 months, only August 2011 brought more rain when 95mm fell.

Edited by Gavin D

Posted

This April may be wet compared to recently, but that's not exactly difficult!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I have worked on the rivers around my local area, mainly the Wye, Lathkill and the Bradford. The weak limestone river beds are riddled with holes, cracks and sough's and unless there is a certain amount of flow we lose the water underground. There is more water running underground here than at anytime of the season. Add to this areas of tufa a form of very porous limestone and you have a tremendous amount of underground water percolation. The river Bradford and towards the head of the Lathkill can be dry for months on end in the summer.

Plus the ground here is very close to bedrock, so any rain that sinks into the ground maybe 2/3 ft just hit's the bedrock then runs off into the valleys. So it never gets to hold any decent amounts of water anyway.

Posted

The Dove has been at normal levels since the snowstorm the other week, and I don't think this part of the world would be classified as "in drought", though yes, the ground never holds too much water here. Further south and east it's likely to be a different story, so perhaps Staffordshire and Derbyshire do merit being in drought.

Posted

Does anyone know where the Midlands gets most of its water from? If it's Wales then surely we shouldn't have too much of an issue with water restrictions?

Posted

<p>

Does anyone know where the Midlands gets most of its water from? If it's Wales then surely we shouldn't have too much of an issue with water restrictions?

Severn-Trent operates reservoirs in Eastern and North-Eastern Wales, as well as the Peak District. I don't see how there'd be a lack of water then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Just checked our rainfall for this month 52.4 mm 82.5% of normal so it's looking at very wet month coming up looking at the models. What is like firther south and east ??

Posted

Around 60mm here so far this month, on par with Feb's monthly total already.

Posted

Monday night and early Tuesday looks like bringing some much needed rain to the areas in need but the rest of the week there doesn't appear to be much rain on offer for the SE Thursday may bring some but that is a long way off yet in weather terms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPnm2XeYmPg&feature=plcp&context=C406c199VDvjVQa1PpcFM31siyQdCnA4yIPb2kKjFb96FJ6DByk-g%3D

Edited by Gavin D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Rainfall for April is up to an astonishing 22.5mm. As ever, with weather fronts originating from the West, I am not expecting a great deal of rainfall here, the Pennines will do a good job at preventing that.

Posted

Have had 20 mm of rain so far this month here, which is as much as we had during the whole of March & almost twice as much as we got in February. So certainly down south we could do with plenty more rain.

Posted

Going to get 3 water butts linked up tomorrow to the Greenhouse if all 3 were to fill up this would save 65 gallons (300 litres) of water

Another water butt is linked up to the second greenhouse and if that were to fill up it would save 46 gallons (210 litres)

This would in total save around 111 gallons (505.05 litres) of rain water if all 4 were to fill up, I'm taking no chances this year if the drought gets worse in the summer I want to save as much rain now as I can.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather

We have a water meter. This is the best way to save water and stop people wasting water.

Just like gas and electricity. People would be less wasteful.

In the LB of Sutton, if you purchase a house, you are made to have a water meter. This has been going on for a few years now.

Why don't they just make it compulsory for every household, and go road by road, it may take a while but it will be more beneficial to the environment.....oh I know, because it costs the water companies money to install them........

AW

Posted

As I posted the other day the drought has now been extended to a further 17 counties

Drought may last until Christmas: Environment Agency

Official drought zones have been declared in a further 17 English counties, as a warning came that water shortages could last until Christmas. The Environment Agency said dry weather over the past few months had left some rivers in England exceptionally low. It has now extended its "drought map" into the Midlands and the South West. Officials say public water supplies are unlikely to be affected by the continuing drought, but are reiterating calls for water to be used wisely.England's South West and the Midlands have moved into official drought status after two dry winters "left rivers and ground waters depleted", the agency said.

Problems for wildlife

The Midlands region covers Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire, Staffordshire, West Midlands, Warwickshire, Shropshire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire and Gloucestershire.

The South West region covers Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset, Bristol, South Gloucestershire, parts of Hampshire and most of Wiltshire.

Drought restrictions were already in place in south-east England, East Anglia, parts of the South and Yorkshire. The Environment Agency said the dry weather was taking its toll on the environment and farmers. During winter, parts of England received less than 60% of the average seasonal rainfall. Hosepipe bans affecting about 20 million customers, introduced by seven water authorities in parts of southern and eastern England, remain in place. Head of water resources at the Environment Agency Trevor Bishop said: "A longer-term drought, lasting until Christmas and perhaps beyond, now looks more likely. "We are working with businesses, farmers and water companies to plan ahead to meet the challenges of a continued drought.

"While we've had some welcome rain recently, the problem has not gone away and we would urge everyone - right across the country - to use water wisely now, which will help to prevent more serious impacts next year."

The lack of rain had caused problems for wildlife, wetlands and crop production in the South West and Midlands, the agency said. In the Midlands, it rescued fish from the River Lathkill in Derbyshire after it dried up. The rivers Tern, Sow, Soar and Leadon are at their lowest ever recorded levels. In the South West, rivers are also suffering and nationally important chalk streams, such as the Dorset Avon and the Stour, which support rare trout and salmon species, are exceptionally low. The agency said while rain over the spring and summer would help to water crops and gardens, it was "unlikely to improve the underlying drought situation". The agency said it was working to help farmers top up their storage reservoirs, adding it had introduced a "fast track process" for farmers to apply to take additional water when river flows are high. Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman said: "As more areas of the UK move into drought it is vital that we use less water to protect the public's water supply in the driest areas of the country. "It is for everyone to share the responsibility to save water."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17690389

Posted

So is it actually drier than 1976????

Half of England in drought: officials

LONDON — Half of England was officially in drought on Monday after the Environment Agency declared another 17 counties short of water, and warned the situation may continue until the end of the year. Despite rain across the country last week, two dry winters have left rivers and ground waters depleted, prompting the government agency to urge businesses, water companies and consumers to be more careful in their use of water.

A ban on garden hoses has already been introduced in southern and eastern England, affecting about 20 million people. Officials had hoped for more rain over the past six months, a period known as the "winter recharge period", but parts of England received less than 60 percent of the average winter rainfall during that time. "A longer term drought, lasting until Christmas and perhaps beyond, now looks more likely," said Trevor Bishop, head of water resources at the Environment Agency.

The agency had already declared drought zones in London, the south east, East Anglia and parts of Yorkshire in northern England, and on Monday it extended this to the southwest and the Midlands. While public water supplies in these areas are unlikely to be affected, the agency said there would be problems for wildlife and wetlands, as well as for farmers' crops.

http://www.google.co...0ea60a978ebc.51

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

So is it actually drier than 1976????

It might well be drier but some things will be different .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvE4FcrGysU

...for a start no one talks 'posh' like that on the telly now angel.gif

Posted

The lastest map from the Environment Agency shows the drought areas

_59677124_eng_wales_drought_rain_apr_2012v2_464.gif

The BBC have a new weather wise video for the drought only 5 - 10mm will fall in the south east tonight else where totals will range from 20mm to 50mm depending on where you live

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/17730185

Edited by Gavin D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

The lastest map from the Environment Agency shows the drought areas

_59677124_eng_wales_drought_rain_apr_2012v2_464.gif

The BBC have a new weather wise video for the drought only 5 - 10mm will fall in the south east tonight else where totals will range from 20mm to 50mm depending on where you live

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../feeds/17730185

Cant understand why Birmingham is in a Drought area, they get all there water from the Beautiful Elan Valley in Mid Wales, where there is more than enough water!!!