Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Daddy Longlegs

Posted

My cousin had one crawl into her ear a couple of years ago. She thought she had Tinitus but it turned out to be a very big house spider! She had to have it removed in the hospital and her ear cleaned out! Every single one of us will have had one on our faces at least once a year while we sleep, they're attracted to our bodies warmth

apparently, we eat an average of 97 spiders in our sleep, in our lifetime - yum!

Posted

apparently, we eat an average of 97 spiders in our sleep, in our lifetime - yum!

Thanks for sharing that!

I know some people don't like to kill spiders but I have to be honest I shall squash any spider I find in my home.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I always thought that was a bit of an old wives tale?

Posted

I always thought that was a bit of an old wives tale?

probably true when you think about it. if you think how many times you have seen a spider in your bedroom, then think how many are there that you dont see.

then think that you spend about 8 hours asleep, every night of your life, unaware of what is crawling about on your face.

throw in a few camping trips, caravan holidays etc,

very likely i think!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The "eating spiders when you sleep" thing is a myth - QI said so :D

Posted

Not many of these about this year,cooler summer doesn`t help.

Saw one the other day which I saved the crane fly with no wings.

And I save all spiders I see not squash then as some do.

Posted

I was always told it brought very bad luck to any house that killed a spider within it's walls.

We always let ours run about, catching nasty flies and pesky wasps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I was always told it brought very bad luck to any house that killed a spider within it's walls.

well, it's certainly bad luck for the spider!...lol

The eating 97 spiders thing is also correct, I prefer mine on a slice of wholegrain bread, with salad and a drop of worcester sauce...I used to go for battered spiders but I'm on a health kick now...!laugh.png

(I am joking, of course!)

Posted

well, it's certainly bad luck for the spider!...lol

The eating 97 spiders thing is also correct, I prefer mine on a slice of wholegrain bread, with salad and a drop of worcester sauce...I used to go for battered spiders but I'm on a health kick now...!laugh.png

(I am joking, of course!)

We never eat and kill ours from the house....we always get them off the web....ehem! tongue.png

Posted

I too am held by that superstition !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

ohmy.png I was slightly freaked out by the thought of that....so I checked it out !!

http://www.burkemuse...leyousleep.html

....thankfully it's not true lazy.gif

Posted

it it true!

Eating Insects In Your Sleep - The Truth

Scientists have confirmed after extensive research that the average human swallows at least 12 insects a year while they sleep.

The research carried out by The University Of Oxbridge near London in England Town claims most people are unaware that they have swallowed anything in their sleep and that the most common insect swallowed is indeed a spider.

“The results are quite frightening” said Scientist Bill Brainy “But it is harmless really - no one will die from swallowing an insect in their sleep. However those who sleep with open windows may want to consider closing them at night.”

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

no one will die from swallowing an insect

...tell that to the old lady who swallowed a fly !!

...and now as well as having nightmares about eating Daddy Longlegs, I've got this stupid song stuck in my head !!

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Had a couple of daddy long legs in (craneflies) but nothing as significant as previous years.

On the spider subject, I detest them. Though not all spiders bother me, those huge, sinister looking beasts they call giant house spiders scare the absolute wits out of me! I don't like to kill them but if they are in a position that is hard to get them with the possibility of them getting away I smack the living day lights out of them. Once had a massive blighter crawling up my wall so I popped a towel around my fist and punched it into next week....if it's not going to pay rent then one way or another it has to go.

Posted

Easiest way to get rid of creepycrawlies is to pop a tumbler over the top of them then slip a sheet of paper in to use as a lid. You can then rehouse them, toss 'em outside or chuck 'em over the neighbour's fence.

Sorted!

Works for bees, wasps and clipshears (eariwiggs) as well. Wasps go in the pond - goldfish seem to like 'em!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

No daddy long legs here too but massive spiders a month or so ago. I had this huge one on the end of my bed one night when I was watching tv in bed. It scared the life out of me and I searched my room for it making sure it was gone. I haven't opened my window since and I won't until it's been cold for a while. One morning also about a month ago I woke up to this massive grass hoper thing next to me on my pillow. I guess it jumped on my face and I woke up. Soon got rid of that too. Fortunately since then I haven't accounted any spiders or insects inside the house

Edited by Wales123098