Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Daddy Longlegs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

There's been quite a lot in my house the past week or two, before that it was massive house spiders. Whatever next I wonder?

Posted

I've seen a few daddy longlegs (harvestmen spiders) but not many craneflies (which some call daddy longlegs).

The thing that's been really annoying, is the amount of wasps that keep finding their way into the house, our dogs have been stung several times catching them.

We have, however, got a HUGE garden orb spider that has made it's home in the kitchen window (I'll post a picture of him when he's on his web), who has been doing a great job at catching said wasps, so we'll leave him up for the time being.

Posted

None so far which will disappoint my cat as she loves them. I also haven't seen the dreaded huge house spiders yet which tend to appear around now.

Posted

Loads of crane-flies all over the outside of the house and a worrying number of large house spiders scurrying around in the evening. The freak I caught and evicted last night was so big it should've been paying rent.

Posted

I have not seen one Daddy long legs (Crane fly) so far which is highly unusual. I remenber when these things used to be all over the place at this time of the year. Fortunately I have only seen one moderate sized house spider so far which suits me!

Loads of crane-flies all over the outside of the house and a worrying number of large house spiders scurrying around in the evening. The freak I caught and evicted last night was so big it should've been paying rent.

I suspect those house spiders are after all the crane flies!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Had some big spiders, had to double check I had not woke up in Australia!

Managed to chase one out of the front door which was quite funny.

Came back from holiday on Sunday and found a spider massacre in the bath. One very large mean looking spider and two smaller ones which had been torn apart. I quickly flushed all away and put the plug in! smile.png

Edited by Radiating Dendrite

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Seen a few. Really don't like them (or any flying insects) so once the sun goes down and my light's on I shut my windows to keep them out. I'm not usually scared of spiders, but while watching TV in bed the other night I saw a huge house spider crawling up my duvet, needless to say it scared the poo out of me.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I have seen a few Daddy long legs around but not a huge amount so far.

Last night we had a big house spider in the kitchen,they always seem to arrive inside the house on cue every Sept,i always see it as a sign of the changing of the seasons.

I think I have seen one Daddy Long Legs so far which appears to be much less than normal - we've had a couple of big spiders, one of which I evicted but the other was too fast for me - not too much in the way of wasps this summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

plenty of daddy longlegs in the house the past few days, growing in numbers, certainly keeping the spiders well fed!.....On the topic of spiders, the past couple of weeks have brought some absolute monsters into the house, I mean seriously big....I caught one mutant with a leg span almost the same size as my palm crawling up the wall on the sunday! It was a feisty little git as well, took some getting rid of....Finally used the old pint glass and piece of cardboard trick and flung it out of the front door...The funny thing was, was that about a minute later the front door bell rang, I almost dared not answer it just in case it was the spider demanding entrance for round 2 !...lol

Posted

but while watching TV in bed the other night I saw a huge house spider crawling up my duvet, needless to say it scared the poo out of me.

I have a dreadful phobia of spiders and what happened to me last October has made me worse. I was lying in bed and when I turned over a huge spider was only a few inches from my nose next to my pillow. I knew I couldn't freak out because if I lost this spider I would never sleep in the room until it was found. So I very slowly reached for my TV controller and squashed the annoying hairy git.

Posted

I have a dreadful phobia of spiders and what happened to me last October has made me worse. I was lying in bed and when I turned over a huge spider was only a few inches from my nose next to my pillow. I knew I couldn't freak out because if I lost this spider I would never sleep in the room until it was found. So I very slowly reached for my TV controller and squashed the annoying hairy git.

You might well have accrued some significant bad karma with that ill-judged act of arachnicide. Retribution is likely to be eight-legged.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Had some big spiders, had to double check I had not woke up in Australia!

Managed to chase one out of the front door which was quite funny.

Came back from holiday on Sunday and found a spider massacre in the bath. One very large mean looking spider and two smaller ones which had been torn apart. I quickly flushed all away and put the plug in! smile.png

Oh my god, that sounds horrendous! laugh.png

Seen a few. Really don't like them (or any flying insects) so once the sun goes down and my light's on I shut my windows to keep them out. I'm not usually scared of spiders, but while watching TV in bed the other night I saw a huge house spider crawling up my duvet, needless to say it scared the poo out of me.

I don't usually kill daddy longlegs, saw one on my bedroom floor with only one wing, poor thing, felt sorry for it!

Have to kill spiders though.. 'specially the big ones... absolutely terrified of them. dry.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

Like others i dont like spiders myself,although i would not kill them, they just creep me out. I usually get my wife to get them into a pint glass and put them outside while at the same time she's calling me a wuss,lol.

Posted

Like others i dont like spiders myself,although i would not kill them, they just creep me out. I usually get my wife to get them into a pint glass and put them outside while at the same time she's calling me a wuss,lol.

ha ha! wuss!

bobby likes DaddyLongLegs, he's just eaten one!

post-12336-0-04164600-1316726332_thumb.j

My cousin had one crawl into her ear a couple of years ago. She thought she had Tinitus but it turned out to be a very big house spider! She had to have it removed in the hospital and her ear cleaned out! Every single one of us will have had one on our faces at least once a year while we sleep, they're attracted to our bodies warmth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

We have had 2 of the huge black house spiders crawling up the livingroom wall so far this year, and I have had 3 daddy longlegs spiders in my bedroom! We also managed a crane fly before that cats caught and ate it! I generally don't like spiders, like many I won't kill them, but would rather just leave another member of the family catch it and put it outside! The worst though is when they are climbing up the wall and you go to get something to catch them in, then you turn around and they are gone as they have fallen off the wall, so you then have to carefully move everything around that area untill it runs out from under something, which is when I normally jump back as it normally runs in my direction lol :D

Posted

I hate spiders and there was one in my bathroom the other day. However I didn't notice it until I had sat down (which ironically was a good place to be). I had to slide along the wall to get round it to get out, and then I got my OH to put it outside as thankfully he was round. Not looking forward to any other creepy crawlies being in the house, as this one had huge legs and was a real hairy one (the spider that is, not the OH).

Posted

Being a bit of a fresh air freak I still have the windows open late into the late evening. Unfortunately that means the wildlife like to come and join me on the sofa and there are quite a few still there this morning from last night. I'm not sure if they have a hang over, but they aren't stirring much.....