Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Visibility From The Top Of Blackpool Tower

Weather-history

Posted

A letter by Victor Gatty of Preston, Lancs written on the 2nd October 1921

"September 3rd 1921 was a day of exceptional clearness. The view from the summit of the tower at Blackpool (about 500 feet high) was remarkable, not only from the extent of country covered but also from the immense amount of visible detail at great distances. It was exceptional, too, in that the view was equally in every direction.

The Isle of Man, visible from the promenade only as a series of deatched islets, stood high out of the water 70 miles away and dark blue. The hills of Wales, 60 to 70 miles away, were equally clear.

To the east the view is more restricted, but to to the north, the hills of the Lake District were visible in great detail; every mark and gully on Black Combe, 33 miles away, could be seen with the naked eye and Saddleback, 57 miles away, was clearly distinguishable through the gap of Dunmail Raise. Further east of Howgill Fells, which rise to the north of Sedbergh in Yorkshire could be made out.

To mention smaller details, Great Orme's Head, above Llandudno, 48 miles away, could be recognised and the white wall of the lighthouse enclosure on its northwest point could be made out with glasses; with the same aid the colours of fields and woods nearer Welsh coast, 40 miles away could be distinguished; the buildings in Liverpool and the top of the transporter bridge over the Mersey at Runcorn, 35 miles away, were also visible.

Northwards, even from ground level, the colours of cornfields, pastrues and woods on the nearer hills, some 27 miles away beyond Morecambe Bay and the purple of the heather above could be made out with the naked eye.

From the tower with glasses, I could recognise the tower on Eller Horn, a hill to the northeast of Grange-over-sands, 29 miles away and could see the houses in Grange itself.

A little to the west of Black Combe, an isolated islet rose dark blue from the sea. This I took at the time to be a hilltop in Scotland but the map showed it to be the top of St Bee's Head, the most westerly point of Cumberland, 52 miles away.

I have only mentioned some of the more distant features; a view which included a great deall of detail in 9 different counties and the whole of the coast line from Llandudno round to Barrow is so exceptional that it seems worth recording. Probably visibility was at its maximum and everything which the sphericity of the earth allowed to be seen was distinguishable."

I have to admit, I can't ever recall seeing the Isle of Man from the promenade at Blackpool.

iom_map.gif

Rrea00119210903.gif

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

Well if during the weekend of the 7th -10th October is as good as that i will be a very happy man as myself and the wife are having a long weekend to celebrate our wedding anniversary in Blackpool.

LO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Sounds amazing.

Posted

Often seen the Isle of man from the North Promenade. Usually best on a clear evening with the sun behind. It just appears as 2 hills really but it's there!

Posted

Apparently it

What does Blackpool look like from a distance when the illuminations are on at night? Anyone from North Wales can see the illuminated tower at night? I imagine from the east coast of Isle of Man, there would be a bright glow on the horizon where Blackpool is?

Apparently it's possible to see Blackpool Tower from Rhyl, though I can't personally vouch for this. Blackpool is easily visible from Formby Point northwards (the land gets in the way further south).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

It is just possible to see Blackpool Tower from Deerplay Moor above Bacup.

There is a war memorial just off the main A671 Bacup - Burnley road near to the summit and the source of the River Irwell and on a clear day Blackpool tower can be seen WNW.

It's not easily identified as such because of the number of pylons etc in that general direction but even with a cheap pair of binoculars it becomes much clearer with other landmarks such as the Big One on the Pleasure Beach and the airport buildings also visible.

Distance between Blackpool and Deerplay i'm not sure but i would imagine about 40 miles.

As regards seeing the illumintaions; i remember back in the 1980's when they put lazers on the top of the tower.

These led the eye towards the direction of the tower and we could see the faint glow of the lights down the full length of the Golden Mile.