Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Temperature And Frost Watch -19th To 20th Of October 2011

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

The coldest part of the night is usually about an hour before sunrise, so in the case of tonight I think I will go to bed and look at the temp in the morning!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It's true that the coldest often occurs before dawn. It starts dropping in my experience about 2-3am, after an initial level-off and continues falling slowly until dawn (unless in a very cold airmass, when it plummets). I think this is just part and parcel of being an island.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

2.5c... Why me?! Anyway, look forward to seeing everyone in November when my next 'first frost' opportunity arrives. I will be spending the rest of the night sobbing relentlessly while listening to David Bowie.

2.5c... Why me?! Anyway, look forward to seeing everyone in November when my next 'first frost' opportunity arrives. I will be spending the rest of the night sobbing relentlessly whilst listening to David Bowie.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. No breeze, temperature has just rose from 1.4c to 2.4c!! Damn it.

Temperatures never fall away consistantly, often there are fluctuations even when the skies are clear and the winds light.

Currently down to 3.7C here. Good chance of around 0C by morning I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

2.5c... Why me?! Anyway, look forward to seeing everyone in November when my next 'first frost' opportunity arrives. I will be spending the rest of the night sobbing relentlessly while listening to David Bowie.

2.5c... Why me?! Anyway, look forward to seeing everyone in November when my next 'first frost' opportunity arrives. I will be spending the rest of the night sobbing relentlessly whilst listening to David Bowie.

well theres always the park bench and a bottle of white lightning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

well theres always the park bench and a bottle of white lightning

LOL! :rofl: :lol: :rofl:

Posted

Down to 2.5'c here now, but there's next to no wind, however I saw a couple of those Chinese lantern thingies (the ones that set fire to cornfields and cows and scarecrows) and that was going across the sky at a fair rate!

I think we'll crack the 0'c though, the air smells right :)

Posted

A really beefy shower incoming, wow could it snow?!? :o

Posted

Where are you backtrack?

Cheshire! :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The Bournemouth area often has some of the coldest night time temps due to its sandy soils ( I don't mean the beach ! )

The Airport yup.

Posted

Currently 1.9C here and dropping nicely. We had some patchy cloud earlier, I think it's mainly clear now. I suspect we may be below 0C by dawn with any luck. :) The previous lowest this Autumn was 2.1C a few days ago.

We are located on the edge of a valley floor here so have frost hollow effect and are colder relative many to locations around us (tends to get as cold or colder towards Exeter Airport and around that area too - the airport managed -16.5C last December). We also have quite sandy soil in my location.

If all factors stay the same the coldest temp of the night should always be just before sunrise, as simply before sunlight starts adding radiation/heat again you are loosing heat through radiative cooling.

Anyway I'm off to bed now to see what it is in the morning.

Posted

A really beefy shower incoming, wow could it snow?!? ohmy.png

nope, uppers aren't cold enoughfor snow.

Posted

nope, uppers aren't cold enoughfor snow.

-5C are they not?

Edit: GFS says they're -4C.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Temperatures falling sharply here thanks to a hole in the cloud, despite a strong wind.

I doubt it'll fall too far though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Biggin Hill reporting 2c :)

Pop's weather contraption in Essex is reporting 3.2c

My geraniums are cowering in fear!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

-5C are they not?

Edit: GFS says they're -4C.

Did you get snow from the shower?

SennyBridge in Wales is down to 1C, Aveimore and Tulloch Bridge in Scotland are also.

I will pop back into this thread around 2am to report (going to watch Fresh meat and how i met your mother now), although it looks like a few places have achieved the OC feat already and i suspect that between 3-6am, most of the inland UK will be in the 2C to -2C range.

Isolated Frost, Durham will reach 0C, i feel it in my bladder (though it could be urine).

Posted

On second thoughts, we might get an unexpected frost here, unlikely, but the temperature has dropped 1C in 30 minutes, quite a feat considering the breeze.

The cloud amounts may be being overestimated somewhat for these parts, we'll see by morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Final reading before I go to bed. temp 3.7c, dewpoint 1.4c

Posted

No chance of snow tonight, just having a shower at the moment, the temperature has rocketed from 6-7C in 10 minutes, and the humidity has risen from 78-82% in the same time.

Posted

Not had any precipitation yet, but I can say it's been clear all night, and the temperature almost hit high end 4C before the cloud rolled in.

Posted

I think its unlikely we'll manage an air frost here, it would be very early indeed (the earliest in my 30 years of records is 15th October).

The behaviour of the temperature has been quite strange, it plummeted before 11pm to 3.6C but since then has remained quite steady with only the dewpoint slowly falling.

We're currently at 3.3C with it slowly falling again. If the wind dies down it might be possible yet, but I would say 1-2C is a likely min.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Just been out for my sly dinner break ciggie and the car roofs and windscreens are icy :).. very cold indeed out there brrrrrrrr cold.gif