Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Huge Asteroid To Creep Near Earth On Nov. 8

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Even if it was clear we probably wouldn't be able to see it.

But has anyone noticed that EVERY TIME something cool is going on, e.g. a meteor shower. The sky is ALWAYS cloudy?

Yes me lol, it's very annoying too. Everytime as interesting event arises you can always guarentee it'll be cloudy. Same luck with the storms grrrr.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Yes me lol, it's very annoying too. Everytime as interesting event arises you can always guarentee it'll be cloudy. Same luck with the storms grrrr.

Same with me really!

Posted

Well I'm all prepared for tonight. Gonna head off to my bunker under the ground lol. It's now being said that the Asteroid is the size of a city block :o

But there's definately no chance of an impact with us lot on Earth or on the moon. :good: fingers crossed though eh ! lol

Anyhow, I found this article which may be of interest to all you asteroid fans lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earth Impact by an Asteroid: Prospects and Effects

scientific and sociopolitical history

In history up to the 1970s, there was little interest in asteroids, including near Earth asteroids. They were considered low class astronomical objects. Indeed, the small comet which destroyed hundreds of square kilometers in remote Siberia in 1908 was an event little known to the general public. A small asteroid which skimmed the upper atmosphere in the 1970s, as detected by a US military satellite, received little publicity.

In the 1970s, things started to change. A small but increasing number of astronomers interested in asteroids began to realize the abundance of asteroids which passed close to Earth, by instituting processes to catalog asteroids accidentally seen on telescopic plates and previously not recorded (in most cases) but seen as a nuisance, as discussed in the PERMANENT section on discovering and cataloging asteroids.

Theoretical models, assisted by computer calculations, revealed that the gravity of the planets caused a sizeable number of asteroids from the Main Belt between Mars and Jupiter to cascade down into lower orbits approaching or crossing Earth's. Further, a significant fraction of comets passing through the inner solar system would be diverted into orbits near Earth due to gravitational encounters with the inner planets.

As a result of these discoveries, the estimated numbers of near-Earth objects (NEOs) dramatically expanded by about 1000 times! Scientists started to take note and interest.

http://www.permanent.com/a-impact.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I have never seen The Space Weather site give a magnitude to an asteroid fly-by, ever, this one gets a Mag 11.2 B) .

Posted

Could Asteroid 2005 YU55 Destroy the Moon?

An asteroid four football fields long will pass near Earth on Nov. 8. A space rock this big hasn't come this close in 35 years: It will fly by at a distance of just 201,700 miles (325,000 kilometers), which is actually inside the orbit of the moon. NASA has assured the world that the asteroid, officially named 2005 YU55, poses no threat to our planet. But what about our planet's loyal sidekick? Is the moon in danger?

Don Yeomans, director of NASA's Near-Earth Object Program Office at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., said 2005 YU55 will not hit the moon. While the space rock whizzes past the planet at a clip of 30,000 miles per hour (13 km/s), the moon will be about a fourth of its way to the opposite side of Earth. Like two ships passing in the night, they'll miss each other by more than 150,000 miles (240,000 km).

But, out of curiosity, what if 2005 YU55 were on a collision course with the moon? Is it big enough to do major damage?

"It would be a significant event on the moon, certainly," Yeomans told Life's Little Mysteries. "It wouldn't move the moon around at all, but it would cause a significant impact crater … at least 4 kilometers [2.5 miles] wide. That's significant, but still a pretty small crater in terms of the hierarchy of lunar craters."

For comparison, the moon's biggest impact crater, the South Pole-Aitken basin, measures 1,600 miles (2,500 km) in diameter.

http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/asteroid-2005-yu55-moon-impact-2153/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=LLM_11082011

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Well we shall all be dead in about 3 hours :help:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Well we shall all be dead in about 3 hours :help:

Damn. I'll playing on Gears of War. Can't that wait 70 years or so?

Posted

i know what you mean!- every time i get a storm its cloudy....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

As well what can you do? lol.. I remember 1997 when we were all about to die... I fell asleep expecting to not be there in the morning, but I woke up and I was alive! Hurray!

Posted

1997 was Comet Hale-Bopp. Some people committed suicide because they thought they were going to die (oxymoron?). Others just enjoyed the show

Posted

FEMA are running Execise Pacific Wave which simulates an asteroid splashing down in in the pacific and causing a tsunami....... Least we know there prepared...

I best be off to get into some old army bunkers... 2012 has come early... worst off all its cloudy wont be able to see our impending doom :(

Better news tho least we wont have to worry about the financial markets :D

But yeah, doubt anyone will be able to see this pass in the uk, as cloud as always is present :)

Posted

It ain't visible with the naked eye either, so you'd need a good telescope to see it.

Posted

And according to Cosmic log....

YU55 is on course to miss the moon as well as Earth, and even if it did hit the lunar surface, the only thing that'd happen would be a fantastic fireworks show.

If YU55 did smash into Earth, it could conceivably turn a city into a smoking crater, or stir up a destructive tsunami. But the asteroid's orbital path doesn't pose any risk in the foreseeable future. It's not expected to have any effect on Earth's tides, or on seismic activity. From the cosmic perspective, this is no big deal. In fact, YU55 has come even closer to Earth over the centuries, but went undetected until just six years ago.

The fact that YU55 went unnoticed for so long does raise a question, however: What else are we missing out there?

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/07/8688912-your-guide-to-the-asteroid-encounte

Posted

And according to Cosmic log....

YU55 is on course to miss the moon as well as Earth, and even if it did hit the lunar surface, the only thing that'd happen would be a fantastic fireworks show.

If YU55 did smash into Earth, it could conceivably turn a city into a smoking crater, or stir up a destructive tsunami. But the asteroid's orbital path doesn't pose any risk in the foreseeable future. It's not expected to have any effect on Earth's tides, or on seismic activity. From the cosmic perspective, this is no big deal. In fact, YU55 has come even closer to Earth over the centuries, but went undetected until just six years ago.

The fact that YU55 went unnoticed for so long does raise a question, however: What else are we missing out there?

http://cosmiclog.msn...teroid-encounte

probably not much...

inchoate_death_star.jpg?w=460&h=276

Posted

Well there's always 2029.

:diablo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

It ain't visible with the naked eye either, so you'd need a good telescope to see it.

Like this one....

http://www.ustream.t...ter-observatory

Watched the movie, disappointed Bruce Willis wasn't in it.....

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?media_id=119737731

.....and YU55 just looked like a giant Jacket Potato to me :winky:

Posted

.....and YU55 just looked like a giant Jacket Potato to me :winky:

:lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well there's always 2029.

:diablo:

Not if the Mayan Calendar woos are right?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Well I've just woke up, and by now the asteroid is out of both ours and the moons orbit, and unless it decides to do the moonwalk back again, it looks like we are safe.... for now. :p

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

1997 was Comet Hale-Bopp. Some people committed suicide because they thought they were going to die (oxymoron?). Others just enjoyed the show

Yeah I remember that well, though there was also a big asteroid that went between us and the moon that year same as now.

I'm not quite sure I'd describe "every 15 years or so" as, "all the time" in human terms, although in astrological terms it probably is.

Yeah that's what I meant in terms of the Earths' astrological life or terms of human existence overall, every 10 / 15 years is nothing in that regard when you think about it. We will be hit by an asteroid like this again sooner or later as it is inevitable, lets just hope it hits a sparsely populated area or a desert.

Posted

Right ok we're all still here and survived that one!! :D Now.... what one's next? :whistling: ahhhh yes, we mustn't forget about those EU Scientists that are working On a Laser To Rip a Hole In Spacetime.. :wacko: grab yer tinfoil hats again.

http://www.science20.com/alpha_meme/eli_super_laser_tear_space_time_apart_so_ghost_particles_can_enter_other_dimensions-84405

by the way I've already started another thread for that one lol :whistling:

Posted

Well I'm still here so another opportunity to run amok in the street, pillaging and behaving badly has passed me by......