Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

It's A Fog Fest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

November so far has been an absolute fog fest up here in the hills. 9 mornings with fog at 0900 so far compared to an average of 6.2 for the whole month over the last 30 years.

Still some way to go to match the foggiest November on record in 2002 which had 18 mornings with fog at 0900 and 21 with fog at some time of day. Even that couldn't quite match Jan' 1996 which still stands as the foggiest month on record here with fog at some time on 26 days and 18 days at 0900.

Out of the 744 hours in that month it was foggy for about 560.

Not complaining though, I'm most partial to a bit of fog, preferably accompanied by heavy rain which unfortunately has been sadly lacking this month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It must be to do with the high frequency of low cloud, often not low enough to bring fog at low levels (more like a thick mist/haze) but genuinely foggy with a bit of altitude.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

It must be to do with the high frequency of low cloud, often not low enough to bring fog at low levels (more like a thick mist/haze) but genuinely foggy with a bit of altitude.

Hang on a sec..

Does this mean that when theres low cloud, there is also low cloud?

And if theres low cloud often , then the chances of seeing low cloud more often is also true?

;)

-G

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Leeds has the thick mist/haze 3 times so far this month.

Fog! - not nice as far as I am concerned - hate the stuff - the only exception I will make is a freezing fog which clears during the morning to reveal a covering of hoar frost on the trees, glinting in the sunlight.

November so far has been an absolute fog fest up here in the hills. 9 mornings with fog at 0900 so far compared to an average of 6.2 for the whole month over the last 30 years.

Still some way to go to match the foggiest November on record in 2002 which had 18 mornings with fog at 0900 and 21 with fog at some time of day. Even that couldn't quite match Jan' 1996 which still stands as the foggiest month on record here with fog at some time on 26 days and 18 days at 0900.

Out of the 744 hours in that month it was foggy for about 560.

Not complaining though, I'm most partial to a bit of fog, preferably accompanied by heavy rain which unfortunately has been sadly lacking this month.

I do like fog of both varieties, prehaps prefer radiation fog because one of the nice things about living here is those winter days when your just above the fog in valley below. Great views.

Great stats from Jan 1996, I do remember it being very dull with a decent snowy ending.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Ah would love a bit of fog and frost! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Not seen any fog at all since December.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I have been working at Flash (Highest Village in the British Isles) for 2 weeks. All i can see is white fog and very dense too, at least when i get home after work i can see 20 yards...... But its dark then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Yes, TWS, it is down to low cloud. Below about 200m there's been very little fog, just a persistent sheet of low Stratus.

It's a pity the temperature isn't about 8c lower, we would have had several cm of rime on the trees and bushes by now.

Just had a look back at Jan' 1996. There was continuous thick fog ( due to low cloud ) from the 1st-5th apart from a short spell during the early afternoon of the 4th, and again from the 16th-20th.

The fog after the 23rd was even better as it was freezing fog. The temperature fell below 0c during the evening of the 22nd and didn't rise above it again until late morning on Feb' 3rd.

It surely hasn't been as foggy as last February? I remember an incredibly foggy spell that must've lasted two weeks...

Not yet it isn't but the month is only 11 days old. I recorded fog on 13 mornings at 0900 in February and 18 days with fog at any time. There were 10 consecutive mornings with fog from the 14th-23rd but here it lasted for the whole 24 hours on only 2 of those days.