Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Winter emotions and moaning thread

bobbydog

Posted

I'll put the kettle on for the masses of people about to flood back into this thread after this evening's GFS. Bring your own biscuits.

Seriously though...this winter has seen some fantastic discussion, lots of head scratching, lots of drama....but when it comes to actually looking out the window. Meh.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

Just under a week ago, when the easterly was "cooking up", it sounded like it could be rather potent. But now, it seems the atlantic system will have too much influence and maximum temperatures (for my area at least) on Monday and Tuesday are going to be 2-3C possibly thwarting the chances of lying snow here. Meh.

Edited by Tellow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Well, not sure what people are expecting, a deep cold spell every winter? Remember if temperatures are 2C during the day, the dew point will probably be below freezing, and when a shower comes the temperature will fall.. so lying snow should occur I

Posted

Can we stop moaning about the mild yet? I've got lots more if we need to continue!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

No snow predicted for the south east :(

Posted

No snow predicted for the south east :(

Eh? :cc_confused:

post-6667-0-29558100-1327831361_thumb.pnpost-6667-0-36979900-1327831364_thumb.pn

and that's just tomorrow!!!

Posted

@liam

If you've been following the models then you would have noticed that the SE is about to be smashed with -15C uppers and perhaps snow measured in feet. Us northerners are the ones who should be saying this.

Now if you're following BBC Weather, then they tend to be cautious about a spectacular scenario and tend to underestimate the north sea - convection. I feel that you could experience a classic winter event next week! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

I thought this thread should be becoming a bit quiter now. :cc_confused:

Posted

Haha sorry guys haven't only been following it briefly..

Where has this precipitation come from?

Posted

Just saw a Sky weather report and its findings show that the precipitation will fade away before it hits the UK. ?? :cray:

Posted

Just saw a Sky weather report and its findings show that the precipitation will fade away before it hits the UK. ?? :cray:

Well, the latest GFS run shows no snowy easterly at all before SWlys come in before the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

i am tired of getting excited about any chance of cold and snowy whether only for it not to appear after all. The models are so up and down and this country is pants in delivering any decent cold or snow. A few days of guaranteed cold or a couple of inches of guaranteed snow each winter wouldn't be asking a lot, but in britain it is like asking for the earth. We just have boring winters (and not that much better summers) end of.

Posted

i am tired of getting excited about any chance of cold and snowy whether only for it not to appear after all. The models are so up and down and this country is pants in delivering any decent cold or snow. A few days of guaranteed cold or a couple of inches of guaranteed snow each winter wouldn't be asking a lot, but in britain it is like asking for the earth. We just have boring winters (and not that much better summers) end of.

Hey man ,this is Britain.I would live a more continental climate but maybe if we had it every year we'dbe yearning for our average weather.........nah ,not me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Just as the cold spell is starting to get going we're all now looking for the end of it and stressing out far to much! :)

Regardless of what happens at the end of this week, it will be VERY cold for most of the UK over the coming days, not especially snowy for the majority unfortunately but some lovely crisp winter days to be had. Better than mild and wet weather thats for sure.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I dunno, since the use of the Gregorian calendar? I'm sure in most people's books, not having a cold spell with or without snow until the final week in January is late. In the same way as not having a heatwave with or without thunderstorms until the final week of July is also late.

The point I was making was not to nitpick at how late or not a date in the year is, but that it is possile for a rapid turnaround to something favourable after an unseasonal winter so far.... a la 2006/2007 for example.

Yes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

If its going to get cold then i hope it will bring lots of crisp sunshine with it. Today has been just revolting and has served to remind me how much i hate cold rain this time of year. There cant be another weather type imaginable that turns everywhere so dismal and depressing.

Posted

im actually more fed up of the models than the actual weather, if i didn't have access to a computer and saw all these dream charts that hardly verify then i would never know if snow was coming at all

These models need a serious upgrade

Posted

To be fair, the models are generally good <5 days out. Its just people concentrate on FI when the near-range isnt showing anything of interest. If you take charts at that range seriously, you'll always be disappointed.

Remember, in a SW flow it'll be similar on the ground even if the pattern shifts by 100-200 miles, whereas that same amount can mean big changes in a cold airflow. Thats generally why its easier to be certain when mild weather is shown compared to cold and also why its pointless looking for where snow might fall outside of 48-72 hours.

Posted

Why can things NEVER go right in the end, why for once can't we get the -15 850hPa uppers, blizzards and just generally exciting weather, instead it looks bone dry here with no breakdown either as usual.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Bar a minor miracle overnight it's almost certain that Jan 2012 will be only the second since I began keeping records in 1963 with no lying snow here at 0900, the other being 1989. It was a case of so near yet so far as the brief snowfall at the end of last week, which gave the Buxton area a centimetre or two, fizzled out to just 10 minutes of quite light snow by the time it staggered the 18 miles south to reach here.

I live in hope that the trend doesn't continue into February as, in the last 50 years, there has never been a February with no lying snow at 0900; the nearest approach was in 1998 which had just 1 day, on the 28th.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

another snowless winter month goes by, never used to happen in 90's

february last year was snowless for me

Posted

Some welcome cold this week, at least it will feel like winter, and although there is alot of moaning going on regarding the negative posts in relation to todays model runs its got to be expected after what the models were showing just 48 hrs ago. Its not surprising we're all feeling flat after those stunning charts, as well as the over hyped ramping from some on the MOD thread....a few red faces around again today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Even the great spell of December 2010 didn't bring much snow here - just a few cm. Same goes with Jan 2010 too although I think we got a little more back then.

It's definitely a rare treat here in the Trent Valley. We certainly get the drawbacks of this kind of weather (low cloud, vile cold wind) but without the fun bits!

And mentioning that wind again - ugghhh it really is a horrible bone chilling thing. The house struggles to keep warm and cycling uphill against it is not nice at all. Even though it is +3c is feels worse than those other odd cold nights this winter which were down to -1c.

Posted

Bar a minor miracle overnight it's almost certain that Jan 2012 will be only the second since I began keeping records in 1963 with no lying snow here at 0900, the other being 1989. It was a case of so near yet so far as the brief snowfall at the end of last week, which gave the Buxton area a centimetre or two, fizzled out to just 10 minutes of quite light snow by the time it staggered the 18 miles south to reach here.

I live in hope that the trend doesn't continue into February as, in the last 50 years, there has never been a February with no lying snow at 0900; the nearest approach was in 1998 which had just 1 day, on the 28th.

Why, whats happened in the past few hours?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Why, whats happened in the past few hours?

Absolutely nothing!.