Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Let me go through my records and check. Hang on.

My bad. 7.9C max on Monday, the 4.2C was on Sunday. Also please note that it was in the sun on Sunday. I have two weather stations. The one that reports to Wunderground is on the roof, I use that one for wind.

The one at Met Office height in the back is what I use for temperatures. :)

I presume you mean the Met Office height one? The Wunderground one reported a high of 7.5°C on Sunday. Even if that weather station is reading higher than it should, I still don't see how Runcorn can be surrounded by warmer towns on all sides when in many cases you would expect Runcorn to be milder as it is right on the Mersey. It doesn't really matter to me, its just I was a bit suspicious that you were pulling these statistics from thin air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I presume you mean the Met Office height one? The Wunderground one reported a high of 7.5°C on Sunday. Even if that weather station is reading higher than it should, I still don't see how Runcorn can be surrounded by warmer towns on all sides when in many cases you would expect Runcorn to be milder as it is right on the Mersey. It doesn't really matter to me, its just I was a bit suspicious that you were pulling these statistics from thin air.

Yeah, look at my signature. Discard the temperatures from 8am till 3pm.

The station not linked up to the computer is in the shade and is for private use.

I live in a hilly area, I don't get cold minimas, but I get can get low maximas in the day.

Take my word for it. :p

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Now would be a good time to prove my point.

I'm currently at 5.9C

Liverpool airport = 7C

Manchester airport = 6C

Strong Westerly wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Yeah, look at my signature. Discard the temperatures from 8am till 3pm.

The station not linked up to the computer is in the shade and is for private use.

I live in a hilly area, I don't get cold minimas, but I get can get low maximas in the day.

Take my word for it. :p

Well I guess I'll have to, its just it seems a little odd, especially as 52m asl isn't very hilly - I live at 80m asl and I'm only slightly cooler than somewhere like Wallsend which is at sea level by the Tyne.

Now would be a good time to prove my point.

I'm currently at 5.9C

Liverpool airport = 7C

Manchester airport = 6C

Strong Westerly wind.

OK fair enough this time, but that still doesn't explain why the temperatures you quote are so much lower than everyone else's? 52m asl isn't high enough to make much of a difference.

You know the area better than me though as I've only been a few times in my life, so I'm not in a position to argue with you.

Edited by alza

Posted

Well I guess I'll have to, its just it seems a little odd, especially as 52m asl isn't very hilly - I live at 80m asl and I'm only slightly cooler than somewhere like Wallsend which is at sea level by the Tyne.

OK fair enough this time, but that still doesn't explain why the temperatures you quote are so much lower than everyone else's? 52m asl isn't high enough to make much of a difference.

You know the area better than me though as I've only been a few times in my life, so I'm not in a position to argue with you.

Just behind my house we have the hills though. Highest area for miles.

Unsure. We seem to be warmer than most places in the NW in Summer too?

Really can't think of a reason why, other than it's really open around here.

Just been reading over my forecast.

Could I have hit the nail on the head any harder here?

December:

The first third of December will be dominated by a North Westerly flow, bringing Western Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and Western England their first snows of the season. The cold spell will not be anything remarkable with temperatures still managing to climb to 2-5C during the day, any lying snow is likely to be short lived, with hail showers becoming a very dominant feature for Western areas during the period.

Posted

Lets be frank about it all, if you live in Preston/Liverpool/Manchester/Warrington or what ever fair low laying areas there are in the north-west you will always struggle to get snow, even up on the higher hills struggle.....everyone knows if you live in lancashire you struggle unless your around the higher pennine parts.

Cumbria always fairs better but again low laying areas struggle, The amount of times i've been to Preston or Manchester and looked at the snowy hills of the pennines when it's just cold and miserable lower down is unbelievable.

In the last few years up in the pennines we have had up to a foot of snow when Manchester etc. have had nothing.

ha ha ha oh dear then how come the past 3 years running i have been snowed in december 17th and im not even no where near cumbria manchester preston liverpool and warrington

Posted

Lets be frank about it all, if you live in Preston/Liverpool/Manchester/Warrington or what ever fair low laying areas there are in the north-west you will always struggle to get snow, even up on the higher hills struggle.....everyone knows if you live in lancashire you struggle unless your around the higher pennine parts.

Thats not exactly true. Speaking as someone who lives in the area and as a weather historian.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

besides the first day of winter is 21st december so until then we are still in autmn

:rolleyes: There's always one! :acute:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

ha ha ha oh dear then how come the past 3 years running i have been snowed in december 17th and im not even no where near cumbria manchester preston liverpool and warrington

Its very rare skem gets snow. The last 3 years have been an exeption due to cold winters.

Posted

yep nick r i was just stating the truth lol i am nowhere near the coastal paths i am 20 odd miles from preston 17 from liverpool about 80 miles from cumbria about 40 from warrington and im about 40 odd from manchester and i still get snow as someone commented we struggle to get snow i wish that was the case but the past 3 years running we have been snowed in here for 2 weeks i am right by the m58 junction 5 and near enough to the m6 too im in west lancashire

Posted

But thats just the last 3 years. Before that when was the last time skem had anow?

In truth the only time we get good snow is from convection. Like the last 3 years

Posted

Its very rare skem gets snow. The last 3 years have been an exeption due to cold winters.

and winter starts on dec 21st

hmmm well i been here nearly 8 years now and always have had snow i cant remember when we havent had snow in winter months i recall not many years ago we had snow in middle of march and had bad snow here in november too

Posted

yep nick r i was just stating the truth lol i am nowhere near the coastal paths i am 20 odd miles from preston 17 from liverpool about 80 miles from cumbria about 40 from warrington and im about 40 odd from manchester and i still get snow as someone commented we struggle to get snow i wish that was the case but the past 3 years running we have been snowed in here for 2 weeks i am right by the m58 junction 5 and near enough to the m6 too im in west lancashire

Metereological winter is 1 Dec to end of Feb (28 or 29). This is a metereological website and forum AFAIK. :good:

Edited by NickR

Posted

I lived in skem for 20 years and only got snow a fea of times the only one i remember was 92 when it was a foot deep

Posted

yep well the official first day is 21st dec lol nick and then how come the forecasters said we have had rain sat sun and mon when its been quiet clearly we had bad hailstones setting car alarms off and battering the windows ;)

Posted

yep well the official first day is 21st dec lol nick and then how come the forecasters said we have had rain sat sun and mon when its been quiet clearly we had bad hailstones setting car alarms off and battering the windows

Official in what sense? Not in a meteorological sense, that's for sure.

Edited by NickR

Posted

we had 15inches last 3 years and others years have had it quiet heavy too when i lived down home in 91 and 92 was a bad winter 3 days with no electric and proper cold winters im not right in skem im on the outskirts of it and it seems to me we are a bit higher ground than wigan and st helens

Posted

Skem is higher but not much . Skem is about 125m asl.

Posted

Oh the banter in here when people are snow starved!

Got to admit though, the weather at the moment certainly isn't boring. Only 7 days into winter and already the northern half of the country has seen plenty of snow and a potentially damaging storm rattling though tomorrow!

Posted

Official in what sense? Not in a meteorological sense, that's for sure.

Astronomical.

Posted

Sa far as weather is concerned the 1st december is the start of winter. The 21st is winter solstice. And is the shortest day of the year, so in theory should be the middle of winter. But for statistical reasons 1st dec to last day of feb is classed as winter as generally they are the three coldest mOnths.

Posted

its always known to first day of winter has always been 21st dec or after this year its 22nd december even i asked a weather presenter on twitter to settle an argument on when the first day of winter offically starts and he says its 21st december but as the seasons weathers are so messed up daffodils are out and still have wasps here

Posted

Astronomical.

Thats the word i was looking for

its always known to first day of winter has always been 21st dec or after this year its 22nd december even i asked a weather presenter on twitter to settle an argument on when the first day of winter offically starts and he says its 21st december but as the seasons weathers are so messed up daffodils are out and still have wasps here

Weather presenters are known to get things wrong