Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Got say I'm not convinced with this new warning system.

Its hard to see when the several types of warning are overlaping each other.

Also, why not mention the wind speeds in the alerts.

There is a cold weather alert for parts of England but now no severe weather warnings regarding snow.

Agreed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

WHAT THE HELL?!

Just woke up and it's snowing... 6.0C DP = 0C wind gusting to 30mph....

large wet snow flakes falling... Wow lol.

Nothing here but can concur with temp and dewpoint.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Nothing here but can concur with temp and dewpoint.

Was only a brief shower, but a complete shock to see. Really didn't expect that.

-4.4C uppers and an air temperature of 6.6C at the time - unbelievable. Hopefully a good sign of what to expect on Friday/Saturday? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I'm not fan of the new Meto warning system, very unclear imo with little detail for different regions affected.

Parts of Northern England have an amber warning tomorrow for the severe gales, given that we've severe gales and gusts today on the coast of 65-75mph which didn't warrant a warning then I'm expecting very serious conditions to develop as an amber warning is in force.

Was only a brief shower, but a complete shock to see. Really didn't expect that.

-4.4C uppers and an air temperature of 6.6C at the time - unbelievable. Hopefully a good sign of what to expect on Friday/Saturday? :D

Snow at nearly 7c? Are you having a laugh BT :rofl:

your temp must be way out, I had heavy hail and wet snow earlier the temp was 3.1c along with severe gales, rather extreme.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

I'm not fan of the new Meto warning system, very unclear imo with little detail for different regions affected.

Parts of Northern England have an amber warning tomorrow for the severe gales, given that we've severe gales and gusts today on the coast of 65-75mph which didn't warrant a warning then I'm expecting very serious conditions to develop as an amber warning is in force.

Snow at nearly 7c? Are you having a laugh BT :rofl:

your temp must be way out, I had heavy hail and wet snow earlier the temp was 3.1c along with severe gales, rather extreme.

You always ask me this, it's only about a degree out, I've had snow when it's been warmer.

:rofl:

Made me laugh that.

As soon as the pressure system appeared on the map he said 'now, here is this bad boy' hahaha.

Posted

You always ask me this, it's only about a degree out, I've had snow when it's been warmer.

It certainly won't have been snow then, are you mad? :crazy:

Posted

It certainly won't have been snow then, are you mad? :crazy:

It's not unusual Liam. Ask anyone. :)

Posted

It can definitely snow at 7C..

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I think its safe to say that the meto warnings will be updated a few more times before the main event hits tomorrow - mid morning.

Already had gust's here in excess of 60mph.

Im expecting gust's around 80mph tomorrow, hope everyone stays safe it's going to get very stormy.

Wet snow/Hail showers still blowing through here on a biteing wind.

Edited by snowrob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Up until yesterday evening I was quite confident of a potent Cheshire gap effect. However on latest model guidance there appears to be a watering down of the cold uppers to more modest values; with the lowest uppers now coinciding with a slacker NWly flow. The window of opportunity now looks very narrow- probably early Friday until Friday evening before the flow is cut off. Very doubtful of anything of note at this point; I suspect the BBC forecasts are being rather too generous with their distribution presentations of the showers for Friday ATM.

The 12z and 18z NAE will shed some light on the situation later.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

A little more info from the Meto about the storm tomorrow http://www.youtube.c...d&v=KufYaElfDqk

Thanks to GLTW.

Edited by snowrob

Posted

It can definitely snow at 7C..

LOL is it April fools or something?

''Snow forms when the atmospheric temperature is at or below freezing (0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit) and there is a minimum amount of moisture in the air. If the ground temperature is at or below freezing, of course the snow will reach the ground.

However, the snow can still reach the ground when the ground temperature is above freezing if the conditions are just right. In this case, snowflakes will begin to melt as they reach this warmer temperature layer; the melting creates evaporative cooling which cools the air immediately around the snow flake.This cooling retards melting. As a general rule, though, snow will not form if the ground temperature is above 5 degrees Celsius (41 degrees Fahrenheit)''

Edited by Liam J

Posted

9.2c at the moment at Norbreck nr Blackpool. Wind gusts of up to 50MPH. Had fair few hours of sunshine, just clouding over now. I dont expect any white stuff tonight, just blustery rain/hail showers!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

LOL is it April fools or something?

Nope lol! I've seen snow at 8°C, so it can certainly snow at higher temperatures given the right conditions, it's more common in spring though.

Edited by James M

Posted

There you go Liam, you learn something new everyday. :wub:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

I think its safe to say that the meto warnings will be updated a few more times before the main event hits tomorrow - mid morning.

Already had gust's here in excess of 60mph.

Im expecting gust's around 80mph tomorrow, hope everyone stays safe it's going to get very stormy.

Wet snow/Hail showers still blowing through here on a biteing wind.

Agreed, gusts 70-85 mph for higher ground in the S. Pennines/Peak district. My highest gust since I started recording in spring 2009 is 77 mph, it might be beaten tomorrow.

Posted

Yes but the actual air temperature will fall rapidly during snowfall in showery spring northerlies, it will not stay at 7-8c.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Some large gusts today, up to 47mph during a shower..

Posted

Some large gusts today, up to 47mph during a shower..

Very windy today, gusting over 60mph still, over 70mph early today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Up until yesterday evening I was quite confident of a potent Cheshire gap effect. However on latest model guidance there appears to be a watering down of the cold uppers to more modest values; with the lowest uppers now coinciding with a slacker NWly flow. The window of opportunity now looks very narrow- probably early Friday until Friday evening before the flow is cut off. Very doubtful of anything of note at this point; I suspect the BBC forecasts are being rather too generous with their distribution presentations of the showers for Friday ATM.

The 12z and 18z NAE will shed some light on the situation later.

Yes and i cant see anything for me either, the warning area is nowhere near me, looks like round 2 of radar watching and ultimately ending up with nothing.

Posted

Yes but the actual air temperature will fall rapidly during snowfall in showery spring northerlies, it will not stay at 7-8c.

Air temperature was 6.6C, and it was a light shower. I most certainly am not lying. I have no reason to?

Yes and i cant see anything for me either, the warning area is nowhere near me, looks like round 2 of radar watching and ultimately ending up with nothing.

I'm confident of a decent covering. :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.
Posted · Hidden by Lancashire Lass, December 7, 2011 - duplicate post
Hidden by Lancashire Lass, December 7, 2011 - duplicate post

Agreed it does make it slightly confusing. Maybe have seperate risk maps for each warning instead of overlapping them. The snow warning is still there aswell as the high winds warning.

'An unsettled regime will affect mainly western parts of England during Thursday evening and throughout Friday with snow showers potentially bringing significant accumulations to Northwest England and northern parts of West Midlands. Drifting snow is likely in these parts on higher ground.'