Hot?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Yeah and ate em all !

That would probably be me... :bad:

Posted

Oh dear, I assumed there were a few other suitable routes simply from looking at Google Maps. Still, I'm sure they would be able to get to where they wanted to be eventually.

It was shut during the January 2007 gale and it was chaos. There aren't that many bridges over the Manchester Ship Canal believe it or not. From Salford Quays to the M6 Thelwall Viaduct, which incidently could also be shut if the winds get too strong there are only 4 bridges in about a 15 miles stretch of the canal.

Can you imagine Thelwall Viaduct and Barton Bridge shut at rush hour?! :shock:

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Well that's a night for me, it's 2.6c, calmer than of late and I'm going to read some more of the book '1967' before nipping off a bit early.

Going to wake up at 6 instead of 630 so I can begin to track this bad boy storm! Farewell and stay safe in the gusts tomorrow!

Posted

It was shut during the January 2007 gale and it was chaos. There aren't that many bridges over the Manchester Ship Canal believe it or not. From Salford Quays to the M6 Thelwall Viaduct, which incidently could also be shut if the winds get too strong there are only 4 bridges in about a 15 miles stretch of the canal.

has been known to shut for high sided vehicles but ive not known it shut to cars might well be though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

i love the accent wicked

why backtrack is manchester better for snow than where i live ? just interested

Manchester has a very close proximity to the Pennines, so when showers are passing over, they are forced to rise before they cross the Pennines. Uplift causes the cloud to 'lose it's load' and therefore more precipitation is dumped on Manchester before they cross the Pennines.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I thought this was a weather forum...You wouldn't think so reading the last couple of pages of posts! :winky: ...Do you realise that reading those 2 pages have robbed me of 10 minutes of my life that I can never get back?.... :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

Fiday not even mentioned by eno on bbc northwest forecast just now, and didnt look to promising for snow on main bbc forecast,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Manchester has a very close proximity to the Pennines, so when showers are passing over, they are forced to rise before they cross the Pennines. Uplift causes the cloud to 'lose it's load' and therefore more precipitation is dumped on Manchester before they cross the Pennines.

The opposite is true most of the time though.. when snow is coming from the North Sea, is forced on Leeds/Bradford leaving Manchester dry.. but of course the opposite is true yet again in Autumn when all the rain is forced on Manchester leaving me dry. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

I used to go to school on lymm right next to the m6 and when there is an RTA on there and they close the viaduct its chaos. There are a few swing bridges in warrington "thelwall grappenhall stocton heath" but they are all in and through town. As for the barton bridge i couldnt tell you. There is also a toll bridge further upp and i cant remember what its caled so i wont mention that one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Warburton Bridge and that is exposed as well.

Thats the one used to cross it to go irlam baths with school.

Edited by saintpeter

Posted

The opposite is true most of the time though.. when snow is coming from the North Sea, is forced on Leeds/Bradford leaving Manchester dry.. but of course the opposite is true yet again in Autumn when all the rain is forced on Manchester leaving me dry. :lol:

I guess you're right there lol :p

Posted

You told me not to worry earlier is this still the case?

Yes :)

I thought this was a weather forum...You wouldn't think so reading the last couple of pages of posts! :winky: ...Do you realise that reading those 2 pages have robbed me of 10 minutes of my life that I can never get back?.... :lol:

It's all in good spirit!

Temperature was falling fast here, unsure why. 5.4C out there. Possibly a hail shower.

Posted

My relatives who now live in Warrington used to live in Hale Barns on the outskirts of Manchester for a while, and I certainly prefer Hale Barns! There were a few really dodgy areas to the east of Manchester Airport though if I remember correctly.

I used to live in south Manchester/Cheshire, Hale Barns is quite different to the council estates in Wythenshawe down the road. One of the richest parts of the country to one of the poorest!

Anyway back on topic, had heavy snow showers on and off all day, although the lying snow has melted quite a bit, probably be all gone by the morning. Current temp 2.5c. All eyes to this big storm now, could be some flooding around, heavy, persistent rain coupled with snowmelt from the mountains/hills.The ground around here is already saturated with water. I have a feeling Ullswater will be over the road by morning! (Not unusual, happens once or twice a year).

Stay safe everyone!

Edited by Mountain Snow

Posted

Lots of weather activity for the north in the next 48 hours - gales and severe gales, heavy rain, heavy snow showers, sharp frost, the benign autumn now seems a very distant memory! - mother nature once again balancing herself out I think..

In the very short term all eyes on the strength of winds due to batter much of the region. Strongest winds look like hitting Northumberland and especially exposed parts of the northern Pennines. Certainly tomorrow is not a day to be out in the hills. Some very intense heavy rain will sweep through the whole region courtesy of a very potent cold front. Once this clears through temps will probably fall 5 degrees very quickly and any precipitation on high ground from then on will be of a wintry variety.

Next feature to look out for is the trough due to move down from NW Scotland during Thursday night/early hours of Friday- this could give some localised low level snow especially to western parts of the region. I think places below 100m will just see a sleety slushy mixture, but above 100m a cover is quite likely, hard to say what the depths will be, but on higher ground quite a decent fall.

Into Friday - expect convection to trigger some sharp snow showers to much of NW England these moving into Pennine district and at times NE England. It looks a carbon copy of Monday - so some places could see some notable falls of snow by the days end.

Friday night - a sharp frost for all, sub zero and possibly down to -5 degrees over snow cover.

Saturday - further heavy snow showers in places, but probably lighter than Friday and more shortlived, more chance of sunshine as well something we have been starved of for quite some time now. A cold day with frost probably remaining on the ground for many.

Sat night - another cold frosty one especially for the NE but possibly clouding over the NW before we see another atlantic attack on Sunday..

I'm struggling to keep abreast of developments at present, so much is going on, with short-term sudden developments. Its a very exciting spell of weather after weeks and weeks of nothingness December 2011 so far is making up for what has been an exceptionally 'quiet' year all round for weather.

Posted

Indeed.. record late air frost on the horizon for me.

Posted

GFS suggests a very interesting set-up for the NW again with a streamer setting up on Thursaday night. Temps look VERY marginal and once again its probably going to mainly be a high ground event until maybe Friday morning when the deeper cold digs down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Damian do you think i'll see any lying snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

GFS suggests a very interesting set-up for the NW again with a streamer setting up on Thursaday night. Temps look VERY marginal and once again its probably going to mainly be a high ground event until maybe Friday morning when the deeper cold digs down.

According to the 18z NAE its going to be a very short lived event as well.

Last 2 BBC updates havent put a friday forecast up and from 25 years experience of watching those forecasts religiously during winter, when they do that after previously forecasting snow that almost certainly means a downgrade.

Posted

I'm down for an 80% chance for snow on Friday..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

78% me and it may well snow, although i am not convinced yet, what i am convinced of though is that if it does it definately will not result in a significant accumulation.