Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

I expect the track to be further South on subsequent runs, with the core of the PPN heading from Mid-Wales towards Leics/Nothants, but people hoping for falling snow are likely to be diappointed and I would see very little chance of settling snow on sodden ground. The last time I saw that in dramatic fashion was the previously mentioned Dec 90 event.

Yours is probably the best attitude to have in all honesty, as we've become so used to any weather 'event' evaoprating hours before that we probably couldn't cope with any more dissapointments.

So guys, please, please, expect this lot to be rain and anything else is a bonus.

It annoys me even more when more arctic places like London and the Scilly Isles can get snow and we can't??

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

And btw i agree with ian brown its going to be 20celcius friday morning :) no snow for anyone.. sorry people

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I was just about to comment on that very quote. I don't know what his beef is with these areas.

sheer negativity, he always reckons no snow for his area,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

I expect the track to be further South on subsequent runs, with the core of the PPN heading from Mid-Wales towards Leics/Nothants, but people hoping for falling snow are likely to be diappointed and I would see very little chance of settling snow on sodden ground. The last time I saw that in dramatic fashion was the previously mentioned Dec 90 event.

Not really, met office chief said that the rain would wash away all the salt, and then the snow would rapidly settle as its so heavy.

Yes there is still time for change, but as things stand, it is odds on for snow, not rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

There seems a lot of misplaced excitement because the BBC have produced a chart with whilte on it - if you read the actual text of the METO forecast, then that is likely to be closer to reality. If this system were bumping into cold air then there would be massive potential for much of the region except N Shrops, N Staffs and Derbys - but it isn't - and there is no guarantee that it will turn to snow anywhere.

Here we go again! Winter has arrived folks :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

And btw i agree with ian brown its going to be 20celcius friday morning :) no snow for anyone.. sorry people

Stop quoting Ian's fantasies, you'll egg him on even further

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Jan 2004? Ground was soaked after melting snow and heavy rain. We all remember what happened afterwards though - mayhem!

Posted

Looking at Met Eireann, the "more prolonged spell of rain or sleet.....across southern areas....tonight" will be "turning to snow in places further inland". If it falls as snow in southern/central Ireland, surely a good chance for the English midlands, right?

Posted

If anyone is short of ideas as to what to get Ian for Christmas, I heard he likes racy calendars.......not the type that show half naked Hollyoaks actresses or page 3 babes but more the type that show southwesterly 'blow torches', mild sectors, and record breaking upper air temperatures relative to the time of year. Oh and I almost forgot to mention the picture for January......A UK map showing widespread snow for everywhere except for N Shrops, N staffs and Derbys which has rain instead and a 'mild sector' of -3 850s.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Jan 2004? Ground was soaked after melting snow and heavy rain. We all remember what happened afterwards though - mayhem!

grid locked stoke that day :rofl:

Posted

5th January 1998 great example rain turned to heavy snow at 1pm ish an unfavourable time, gave 2 inches of snow after a morning of rain

Posted
Posted · Hidden by A.J, December 14, 2011 - ok, a bit personal, has to go I'm afraid
Hidden by A.J, December 14, 2011 - ok, a bit personal, has to go I'm afraid

Imagine Ian Brown presenting bbc weather, snow/white on map non existant, then another presenter hour later with midlands all white, very misleading

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I think youre on a wind up mission. Sodden ground makes no difference whatsoever for Snow to settle. Last night it rained here then it turned to snow briefly, and it did settle. As regards Fridays snowfall, theres no reason why snow wont settle on wet and even low ground. A marginal event it has to be said given the initial temperature as the precip comes in probably of rain, but that low does pull in some colder air, during the early hours and if the precip is heavy enough "Evaporative Cooling" will take its course! I wouldnt be surprised to see some fair disruption to travel networks. The key to this potential Snow event, will be that the precip has to be fairly heavy to fall as snow, Computer models at the moment are showing that scenaro, of course higher ground is likely to see the most amount of snow. Worcestershire Beacon is the highest point on the Beautiful Malvern Hills at nearly 1,400 ft and that for example should do well at that elavation from this set up. Anyway the chart below shows a stark contrast in the 850mb temperatures across our area during the Lows movement.... :p :p :p:good:

post-6830-0-07088700-1323892017_thumb.pn

Edited by ANYWEATHER

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Your worst nightmare. Mwhe he he he hee... The devilish version of what will happen on Friday morning! :diablo:

post-10703-0-35739300-1323891598_thumb.j

In fact, having a forecast like this for the Midands must be worst than having the last chocolate chip cookie! ;')

But seriously, though, I think a lot of places will be given a present of..... Snow..... on Friday. :p

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

This thread has suddenly died.. need the next model run to come out.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
Posted · Hidden by A.J, December 14, 2011 - see above
Hidden by A.J, December 14, 2011 - see above

Imagine Ian Brown presenting bbc weather

I'd rather not, thanks

Posted

Your worst nightmare. Mwhe he he he hee... The devilish version of what will happen on Friday morning! :diablo:

post-10703-0-35739300-1323891598_thumb.j

In fact, having a forecast like this for the Midands must be worst than having the last chocolate chip cookie! ;')

But seriously, though, I think a lot of places will be given a present of..... Snow..... on Friday. :p

I'd bank that situation (sorry guys) :diablo:

Posted

Just to go back to today. There was a brief flurry of snow at about 1:15 in Blackheath this afternoon. I'm also interested in the large area of precipitation just leaving Ireland. It won't contain any significant snow if it gets here of course but a sleety/haily downpour would go down well.

...and then there's Friday.

Nice to come on and see all the optimism, and with very good reason too. I'm going to excercise a certain amount of caution. it's one of those situations that could easily fail...but the benefits of success has potential to be massive. It's going to be an interesting storm to follow whatever falls out of the sky. It's given us such a rollercoaster ride since late last week already.

You could write a film about Friday's storm with all the twists and turns we've had already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A general request.....Members are fully entitled to air their views on Midlands weather regardless of their weather preference.... Whilst a bit of banter is harmless, personal sniping & baiting is not on, any offending posts will be deleted without warning...Cheers everyone :)

Posted

Hey Peeps!!!!

Loving the optimism on here !!!! What are my chances of seeing snow on Friday???!!!!

Id ask in about an hour and a half and we'll let you know, All the updates should be about in by then barring the nmm which will be crucial aswell. Atm things look very good, id say a triangle from leics, nott to birmingham will do very well. I think theres gonna be a jackpot place which will most likely be 10-20miles west of the most unlucky place as this will be the boundary where i feel the heaviest snow will be but also close by where the rain will persist up until a time that it then becomes difficult for snow to settle as we head towards daylight hours. Hopefully this is not the case and everywhere is reporting snow during the middle of the night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

The BBC puts me in South East but I'm just 20 miles south of Warwickshire

If the snow comes I am hopeful to be in a good position wether SE or Midlands

Posted

The BBC puts me in South East but I'm just 20 miles south of Warwickshire

If the snow comes I am hopeful to be in a good position wether SE or Midlands

You aint that far from the Northants border are you stew?