Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
]

Air temperature is 5.3C, the dewpoint is -2C, okay sub zero dewpoint, but the air temperature, upper air, and wet bulb don't support snow, sorry. :p

Duno about that. We managed snow at 4.c today with a DP of -2. And a few hours ago it was snowing at 3.c...

Obviously the DP is having an influence but I don't know why because in theory the best we should achieve is hail, we aren't in spring where higher lapse rates come in to play.

Odd, any explanations anyone?

68599411.png

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Location: Settle in the Yorkshire Dales at 145m asl North Ribblesdale

Not sure what your talking about backtrack, its been making steady progress southeast.

Although it may fizzle out soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Local border news advised against non essential travel over Cumbria & borders due to the severe gales and snow, A701 in D&G closed apparantly because of blizzards.

No snow here just rain, 5c Dew -1c

Very very windy though.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Duno about that. We managed snow at 4.c today with a DP of -2. And a few hours ago it was snowing at 3.c...

68599411.png

Dewpoint -3C though, well supportive of snow.

Not sure what your talking about backtrack, its been making steady progress southeast.

Although it may fizzle out soon.

I know, looking at the radar loop it's deceiving and looked like it was going ENE.

It will be cut off soon as it hits stronger wind vectors. I expect maybe another 10-25 miles tops before it begins to move away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Its moving east bit is bulking up to the south of the band makIng it look as though its moving south. Just checked on raintoday premium.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

It is moving south!

Go on raintoday.co.uk and zooooom in.

post-8968-0-49078700-1323815745_thumb.pn

each red line represents where the ppn was 15 minutes ago, so its moving south (I should have used different colors)

Yes, it was always progged to move south and i think you will kop it cheese although i do agree with BT that people even further south than me have no cause to get excited, i can tell you now its going to be 3 out of 3 for me in terms of getting beggar all while people not far awawy get a covering, to be honest i am more interested in that low for the end of the week that is progged to give us Gales, if it would just track a bit further north than the 18z GFS has it we could get a mini tonking as it moves away depending on how quickly the cold air behind it digs in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

Dew point of -11.5 near me at lower elevation. Not sure if it's correct though, but usually seems quite accurate.

Posted

Dewpoint -3C though, well supportive of snow.

I edited my post since..

Obviously the DP is having an influence but I don't know why because in theory the best we should achieve is hail, we aren't in spring where higher lapse rates come in to play.

Posted

People have reported snow :)

Generally I find that the humidity rises as precipitation approaches, and so too does the dewpoint. Being in Buxton though, if it does manage to make it that far south (<5%) then you will probably be seeing snow because of your elevation.

Dew point of -11.5 near me at lower elevation. Not sure if it's correct though, but usually seems quite accurate.

Nah :lol:

More like -3C/-4C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

Generally I find that the humidity rises as precipitation approaches, and so too does the dewpoint. Being in Buxton though, if it does manage to make it that far south (<5%) then you will probably be seeing snow because of your elevation.

Sure, if it comes here I am confident of snow. Of course whether it lays or whatever is another issue.

Posted

Yes, it was always progged to move south and i think you will kop it cheese although i do agree with BT that people even further south than me have no cause to get excited, i can tell you now its going to be 3 out of 3 for me in terms of getting beggar all while people not far awawy get a covering, to be honest i am more interested in that low for the end of the week that is progged to give us Gales, if it would just track a bit further north than the 18z GFS has it we could get a mini tonking as it moves away depending on how quickly the cold air behind it digs in.

NAE has it much further north which means widespread, inland, high ground snowfall. As long as you tick those three variables, oh and live in Yorkshire and NW england you should be fine!

Posted

Dew points are set to rise above freezing.

post-9615-0-30527900-1323816368_thumb.pn

Posted

I edited my post since..

Yes, the uppers over the Irish Sea were not as cold, nor were the 500hPa temperatures, resulting in less instability in the clouds.

Posted

That chart is for 23:00 (14 minutes) and my dewpoint is -2C. It's not going to rise that much in 14 minutes, that chart is wrong.

Early hours of the morning maybe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more SNOW :D

Just been for a drive .... Its snowing up trough of bowland, and im now on the m6 between lancaster and preston and gettin a few flakes on here too!!

Edited by Lancs Annie

Posted

PPN type radar shows the snow is only falling on the very high gound in Cumbria.

post-9615-0-72355400-1323816547_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

That may be the reason BBC NW tonight had it turning more back to rain as it moved south then.

Posted

Higher areas in cumbria are getting a real pasting at the moment.

Posted

That chart is for 23:00 (14 minutes) and my dewpoint is -2C. It's not going to rise that much in 14 minutes, that chart is wrong.

Early hours of the morning maybe.

Temps can rise rapidly and so can dew points, but I do agree the chart is incorrect for 14 mins time.

Posted

It is moving south!

Go on raintoday.co.uk and zooooom in.

post-8968-0-49078700-1323815745_thumb.pn

each red line represents where the ppn was 15 minutes ago, so its moving south (I should have used different colors)

It's just the lowest part of the arc of the Low to the North-will be moving NE soon as the higher left side makes an appearance ( er I think)

Posted

Temps can rise rapidly and so can dew points, but I do agree the chart is incorrect for 14 mins time.

Temperature is up to 5.6C though thanks to an increase in cloud & wind. 4/8 oktas.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

That may be the reason BBC NW tonight had it turning more back to rain as it moved south then.

Yes, only the high hills will catch the snow.

We have a better chance later in the week by the look of things.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

What band are you guys talking about? There's one currently sat over Cumbria that's moving ENE, so why are the members in the Manchester and Buxton area getting excited? It isn't moving South, and isn't going to do so.

Well the gritters in Chesterfield must know something we dont because i was in Chesterfield earlier and they were gritting the roads around 7ish and there was no frost at all or any forecast as far as i know + it's far too windy!.

Posted

Well the gritters in Chesterfield must know something we dont because i was in Chesterfield earlier and they were gritting the roads around 7ish and there was no frost at all or any forecast as far as i know + it's far too windy!.

Chesterfield is sheltered by the Peak District though.

Don't know why they gritted really.