Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Part 2

A.J

Posted

Still dry here despite radar suggesting otherwise. Think that the precipitation isn't reaching the ground yet and we need a bit more mixing first.

Have to say I'm slightly more optimistic than I was earlier...but still some hurdles to go...

Posted

Playing back the radar it's more a case of the band developing further east over the mountains, the Cardigan Bay stuff is fairly static.

For the record, drizzly here 2.4c, DP 1.7c

Yep its my eyes, The cambrians seem to be stopping it at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Sorry but someone said that the precip was 50 miles away, was 6 hours away and so was moving at 0.8 MPH? How on earth can 0.8 x6 =50!

LOL!

Well I hope you midlanders get some snow tonight.

That was me. I somehow calculated it as being 60hours, not 6 :p I guess i should times it by 10 then. So 8mph. Still wrong !

Posted

Looks more marginal for the Midlands on the 18z GFS though the opay-off may well be that the heavier precip forecasted may also help to drag things down somewhat.

Still looks like snow will get going in the very early morning hours but maybe a slightly shorter period of time compared to the 12z suite.

Posted

Radar isn't very reliable for me tonight. Should of been fine/light rain for the past 20 minutes, so far nothing.

Posted

Just a shout to you Midlanders, it's almost certainly snowing (and settling) on the A465 Head of the Valleys "Highest Point" cam in South Wales.

Not too far away from your territory either! Although the words "Highest Point" suggest you need to have height on your side :winky: Sleet falling here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../trafficcameras

Edited by jackfrost

Posted

I'll attach this again. This was an event which had 8 hours of steady rainfall, thawing some of the lying snow - then quickly transitioned to snow dumping 8 inches. A more marginal event than tonight at face value. There was of course the benefit of lying snow which can influence the boundary layer - the only experience i've had of snow falling with 850s of -2C. Well possibly not true, but I can only base that on model watching since 2003.

post-503-0-03655100-1323986735_thumb.gif

post-503-0-48847100-1323986752_thumb.gif

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

Little Ribbon of Precip showing leaving the coast of Eire at the mo, heading our way?

Area over N.Wales into the Irish Sea and also the area over Central Wales/W.Mifdlands currently are the areas to watch when it comes to snow.

The good news is that the NAE swings the opposite way and slightly upgrades the threat of snow, especially in eastern Midlands which goes along with the GFS idea of the precip being heavier than expected.

Posted

Wow, alot of people watching. More people should post.. the more input and weather reports the better :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Well it has been raining here for a good while now. DP still high, temp still high.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

It's cloudy here, but so far, it's dry. Ancient thermometer reading 3c to 4c, it feels a lot colder though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Light rain here now but im sure there is already a few wet snowflakes in it. May be wrong though.