Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Just Some Pictures

Posted

The first two pictures I am thinking are altocumulus elements? (with Stratocumulus in the background in number 1)

The second set of 5 were taken this morning. The pre dawn was light cirrostratus across the sky but negligable, only giveaway was the halo round the moon but no visible cloud. In the direction of these clouds "behind the trees" was thick altostratus. The temperature ahd dropped considerably leading me to expect frost and a stable atmosphere of more stratus types, which proved true, until at about 10:30 am these appeared. Usually the mountains will kick up lenticular formations of vatrying clarity above and behind that tree line, but never seen these before..cirrocumulus in swirls?

Be interested to hear some opinions. Cheers

Rich

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Hi Rich,

At a guess I though that picture 7 might be of contrails due to the repeat swirl in the bottom left and then centre right?

http://www.cloudman.com/gallery1/photos/188.jpg

Have definitely seen this type of pattern previously.

Who knows !!

Posted

Hi Lorenzo. Yes, they might be I guess but the flight paths aren't usually that close- normally you get one or two far away- but could be. I wonder why they do this swirling pattern thogh then.

Hi WS. What makes you say that? They have the little elements (less than 1 deg across) and are pure white and look like the piccies in my book :) which is why I suggested this, but would like to hear why you think that. I think no 5 does have ragged cu in it, and the ci and the swirls were much higher I think.

Cheers

Rich

PS great pic Lorenzo :)