Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

How Rare Has Rain Been On Christmas Day For You Recently?

Posted

It maybe a strange thing to ask but forget the snow, the frost and with today the mild but how rare has rain been on Christmas Day for your area in recent years? When I mean rain, I mean just pure rain as opposed to with sleet or hail or any other mixture.

For my area, I'm struggling to remember the last really wet Christmas Day we had. It rained Christmas Eve 2007 and it was a wet day but it cleared for Christmas Day.

There was a little bit of rain during the evening of Christmas 2009 and it rained a little bit during 2002 but other than that since and including 2000, there hasn't been a wet Christmas Day thus far this millenium.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I also cannot remember the last time it rained, or rained properly on Christmas Day.. Christmas Day in recent years has not been particularly mild or particularly cold either.. nor wet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I would say last Christmas was one of the coldest you are ever likely to experience in the UK. How often does London record a max of -1c.

But i agree regarding the apparent absence of any rain on Christmas day. Which means I've got so used to Christmas day being quite benign and featureless.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The last time it rained in Cleadon on Christmas Day was in 2007, a couple of light showers during the evening, although daylight hours were dry and sunny with frost and a few fog patches. Christmas Day 2005 had some light drizzle early in the day. Other than that, rain has been remarkably absent here during the Christmasses of the 2000s.

The last Christmas Day with a significant amount of rain was in 1999, when sunshine and sharp blustery showers alternated until mid-afternoon. The last of those showers turned to snow despite a temperature of 5C, but all other showers fell as rain. The Christmas Days of 1997 and 1998 featured a fair amount of rain here and no snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

yeah, 1999 here, some sleet as well, rained Xmas eve 2007, and a little during the thaw on Xmas day evening in 2009

but yeah, last Xmas day the best, -11C minimum and -5C maximum

Posted

It maybe a strange thing to ask but forget the snow, the frost and with today the mild but how rare has rain been on Christmas Day for your area in recent years? When I mean rain, I mean just pure rain as opposed to with sleet or hail or any other mixture.

For my area, I'm struggling to remember the last really wet Christmas Day we had. It rained Christmas Eve 2007 and it was a wet day but it cleared for Christmas Day.

There was a little bit of rain during the evening of Christmas 2009 and it rained a little bit during 2002 but other than that since and including 2000, there hasn't been a wet Christmas Day thus far this millenium.

yeah ,i can not remember the last truly WET xmas also I struggle to remember an xmas as mild as this

Very misty here today with heavy drizzle, I cannot remember that last time we had rain on Christmas day before this, off to check my weather records .

2003, 2005-2008 and 2010 were Dry, 2009 saw heavy rain in the evening, but even then there was some snow remnants on the ground during the morning

2001 and 2004 were snowy at times

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Just had a look back through my records as far as 1984 and the last time there was a really wet christmas day here was in 1990 when there was 20.4mm (with boxing day recording 25.1mm )

1997 was among the wetter of the remainder with 5.9mm and 2006 had 7.4 mm but all of that fell after 1800.

Since 1984 19 christmas days have recorded less than 1mm of rain, or whatever has fallen has been after 1800.

Posted

It seems that rain has been rare for a number of locations over the last few years on Christmas Day.

It makes me wonder when was the last time people heard thunder on Christmas Day? I have never heard thunder on Christmas Day.

I suspect it could be 1999 or 2004 for some people.

Posted

It's been pretty wet in the west of Ireland. Lots of rainy drizzle on the big day — yuk. I think much of what we've been having is generated locally by the Partry mountains —heavy persistent drizzle with high winds. No thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It makes me wonder when was the last time people heard thunder on Christmas Day? I have never heard thunder on Christmas Day.

Since I began keeping records in 1963 I've never recorded thunder on either Christmas Day or Boxing Day, in fact the only Decembers with thunder recorded on any day were 1989, 1990, 1991 and 2007.

Rather surprising that after going from 1963-1988 with no thunder in December there should be three consecutive years with thunder heard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

It seems that rain has been rare for a number of locations over the last few years on Christmas Day.

We heard it loud and clear on Christmas Day 1990. Two thunder claps followed a pretty violent hailstorm, around 10 am. The storm happened as that cold front moved eastwards, leaving the afternoon bright and clear.

Apart from blustery showers in 1998 and some leftover rain/ sleet in 2000 and also early Xmas day 2001, most of the Christmas Day's in south-west Birmingham have been dry; often mild but sometimes cold and frosty, or even some light snow showers (1993(a.m), 1996(a.m), 2001 (p.m), 2004 (late p.m). We moved to Portland just before Xmas 2009, and of course missed the lying snow on both Xmas days of 2009 and 2010.

So I guess 1990 must have been the last 'proper' wet Christmas Day for us.

Posted

At 42 degrees south, with only the cold southern ocean seperating Tasmania from Antarctica, this time of year is often associated with tempermental conditions, passing showers is one common scenario assicated with cool SW flow behind cold fronts. These fronts don't usually reach mainland Australia at this time of year, dissipating as they move north.

This Christmas was good with no showers, with a close to average December maximum of 20 in the capital!

Snow settling on the mountain behind Hobart on Christmas day happens from time to time. Elevation 1200m ( 3600 feet ).

For all your interests

Lowest maximum on Christmas day 12.6 degrees ( 1984 )

Highest maximum on Christmas day 34.1 degrees ( 1945 )