Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January Part 2

lorenzo

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Anyone else having their Burns supper on Friday so they can get sloshed,stocious,paralytic,mortal? :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

I'm being all multinational and splitting the difference tonight between Burns night (Wed) and Chinese New Year (mon) - a MacSween's haggis opened and split into little filo-pastry parcels, roasted in the oven til the pastry's crisp like spring rolls, then dipped in a sharp-sweet plum sauce... Gung Hey Fat Choi Your Honest Sonsie Face!

The wind's seriously getting up here - xc says 13mph, but due to gust up to 52mph c.1800 - it's gusting up to 30ish, I'd say, and I'm getting pretty good at recognising wind speeds from what it's doing to the tree outside my window, what with the past couple of months! I hadn't picked up on any particular high winds forecast, so it's surprised me a bit.

BM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Ms HC used a cap for 20 years with nearly absolute success. Just 2 cock-ups though so we have 2 young HCs. Lord knows... I've said my piece before.

Had 9C an hour ago, breezy enough for it not to feel that warm tho. And a frost to come... WMFS?

Posted

The whole of mainland Scotland has suddenly acquired a yellow warnign for Ice for Thursday from the MetO - another "where did that come from?!" warning :)

xc says gusting up to 36mph now, so that helps me have confidence in my wind speed estimation skills! It's never been windy enough, often enough, before for me to recognise any patterns...

Posted

Latest from the tabby cat model ,cold weather coming the young upstart is snuggling up to the old tabby cat on the rocking chair just now and no fireworks really unusual behaviour.

Just to add 2 cock pheasants appeared in the garden at the bird feeder for the first time ever this afternoon, I surprised them and they flew off in a big hurry but were back again feeding 10 minutes later!!!!!!Again unusual behaviour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Potential for epic snow or epic no snow next week eh? The suspense isn't really killing me.

The shorter term outlook has trended vaguely to fairly underwhelming with the 12Zs, not that blocking isn't going to back west but that the 'toothless easterly' scenario is now firmly back on the table. Undercutting would be much better for all of us from a precip. point of view, but the longer the block's in place, the more surface cold can build and the more likely we'll either get a shortwave undercut or a proper beast. Retrogression to Greenland looks an option, especially if the MJO's move into Phase 7 FebruaryPhase7500mb.gif

is followed by a move into phase 8

FebruaryPhase8500mb.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

I know its OT, but have to ask - did Salmond win?? :rofl:

See I told you what you were starting :search::rofl:

a balmy 9.2 and gusting 30 knots,,,,,,

The whole of mainland Scotland has suddenly acquired a yellow warnign for Ice for Thursday from the MetO - another "where did that come from?!" warning :)

I think it was always on to be frosty after the rain moves through:

post-2844-0-43705600-1327513090_thumb.pn

Should be some fun right across vast swathes of the country.

Both the NAE and NMM keen on a small area of snow to move east just north of the lowlands tomorrow afternoon:

post-2844-0-89744300-1327513997_thumb.gi

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

I think it was always on to be frosty after the rain moves through:

post-2844-0-43705600-1327513090_thumb.pn

Should be some fun right across vast swathes of the country.

Both the NAE and NMM keen on a small area of snow to move east just north of the lowlands tomorrow afternoon:

post-2844-0-89744300-1327513997_thumb.gi

Typical, its snowing everywhere else, including in the North Sea, but its raining in Fife. You couldnae make it up!

Posted

Typical, its snowing everywhere else, including in the North Sea, but its raining in Fife. You couldnae make it up!

You've my full sympathy - here in Embra we're living up to our Glaswegian reputation by being West Endy and East Windy... except it's a southerly...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

... WMFS?

2013! :lazy:

2013! :lazy:

It'll come eventually (says me who has had snow in the last 48 hours). I think we're moving into "looking for a dump" territory rather than long term cold spell territory...and I'm not talking about a day trip to the sewage works.

Posted

Would like: last December's Edinburgh snow...

... will settle for: snow falling long enough to get out into it and lying enough to make footprints!

Now, given that we got that for two hours and enough to play snowballs, on July 4th, Independence Day, in Edinburgh, in 1980, is it really too much to ask for in a winter???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

It'll come eventually (says me who has had snow in the last 48 hours). I think we're moving into "looking for a dump" territory rather than long term cold spell territory...and I'm not talking about a day trip to the sewage works.

I'm increasingly confident, especially with the Meto upgrading today for snow + cold as 2/3 chance and same old on 1/3 chance.

The thing about big cold easterly blocks is that it is so difficult to predict if/when they might come across the north sea to visit us. Meto are thinking the big b'stard which has been developing to our east will more than likely pay a visit.

We can't look beyond a few days with any accuracy at the moment. Complete FI just 4 days out with a 15C difference in possible uppers by day 5:

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/ensimages/ens.20120125/12/t850Aberdeenshire.png

Patience folks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

More of a tinkle really short term:

12012618_2512.gif

Longer term, too much uncertainty to call really when there's a monster high to the northeast, residual heights to the southwest, a PV on the wane and a jet that can't seem to decide which arm it wants to power up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

.and I'm not talking about a day trip to the sewage works.

Actually, I think that would be more exciting as you know something will definitely be along any minute! :bad: I know we would never get the temps that the Euros look like getting, but for heavens sake, this is just torture waiting in line for a few crumbs of comfort!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I'll wait thanks - till next winter if needs be - rather than a trip to a WWTW. I had my fill of them in the 1990s when Severn Trent invested in new plant and I got the job of digging around to see what could be done. :bad:

Temps dropping here this evening (whoah, you mean it wasn't going to stay at 9C all night :wacko:) and some cold pizzly sloosh dribbling down the spouts. Uuurgh shouldn't have eaten all that haggis... :bad: God what's my cholesterol at now? :ph34r:

But... there's a 2-2 (3-2 agg) :D:p:):yahoo::clap:

Posted

I'll wait thanks - till next winter if needs be - rather than a trip to a WWTW. I had my fill of them in the 1990s when Severn Trent invested in new plant and I got the job of digging around to see what could be done. :bad:

Temps dropping here this evening (whoah, you mean it wasn't going to stay at 9C all night :wacko:) and some cold pizzly sloosh dribbling down the spouts. Uuurgh shouldn't have eaten all that haggis... :bad: God what's my cholesterol at now? :ph34r:

But... there's a 2-2 (3-2 agg) :D:p:):yahoo::clap:

Wee dram fir Rabbie, large dram fir Kenny.

It wasn't that big plant next to the M1 was it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Just to add 2 cock pheasants appeared in the garden at the bird feeder for the first time ever this afternoon, I surprised them and they flew off in a big hurry but were back again feeding 10 minutes later!!!!!!Again unusual behaviour.

NL if that was the latest observation from an experienced farmer of many years - excellent.

If that was the latest observation from an experience farmer of many years with a pun included - even better !

I explained to our fellow hosts that it is Burns night and 'operation' banter was the norm for this thread, as is all kinds of other madness, it is part of what makes this place the most unique NetWx experience... HC if your PM is broke let me know :)

As for the models then it is a proper game of FI part one and FI part 2.. to explain - the modelling of the FAX chart is subject of debate within it's precise timing and secondly the extension of the ridging versus the Atlantic is part 2. Either way it is undeniable that February sees a pattern change.

To save some time look here for part 1 and here for part 2 two of the best concise posts I feel from todays rampant model discussion. I know everyone does not own Hazmat suits !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Rain all the way here too. Just popping in for a quick peek at the models - and still unsure!! Hoping for at least aflake of snow and a spare 5 mins to look at all your updates and comments tmrw. I am shattered time for an early night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Still hinging on to 6.5 degrees here and also hissing it down.....just waiting on the pub run to deliver....almost hoping for a poor one just to venture Into the MT to see just how messy it gets.......meanwhile at the nou camp it's getting messi for real madrid