Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January Part 2

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Radar looking fairly quiet at present, a few showers off the West coast, but nothing to get excited aboot yet.

I'll have a straight northerly please NOW.

<Enters late night maudlin mode.>

Oh it's an easterly is it, wow that's exciting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

I love hc..........you make me lol and i actually mean laugh out loud not just as in the token sign off everyone uses whether funny or not....i like to use glol which is a genuine lol.......anyway i will settle for an easterly as per last year ta very much......for fex sake third edit on one message....ive got marbles in my fingers

Edited by edodfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Duels at dawn I see in the MT! (again) Feel more at home in here where sanity rules!! :crazy: Where's the Hostie wi' the mostie? he might be able to make some sense out of all the crap in there. I feel I am walking on the inside of my eyeballs as I have looked at so many model charts for days now! I refuse from tonight to look at any more and have decided to just read the comments in here in future!

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Blimey - Perhaps we should be careful what we wish for!

http://iceagenow.inf...lgaria-romania/

http://iceagenow.info/2012/01/ice-rink-roof-collapses-slovakia/

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

If either of you guys are still worried about the implications of the snip - no matter. If this verifies, things are going to freeze and drop off anyway!!

:lol:

http://www.meteociel...map=0&archive=0

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

-1c currently and sheet ice everywhere after what must have been rain in the night. Looks this morning as if frosty mornings may become the norm for while!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Liking the trend this morning. Lets hope the later runs keep up the trend!!

Very Icy - not looking forward to walking in this, could be slipping on my bahookie :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
If either of you guys are still worried about the implications of the snip - no matter. If this verifies, things are going to freeze and drop off anyway!! :lol: http://www.meteociel...map=0&archive=0

Seems a bit of a crazy solution to over-population - it's not a war we need, it's snowmageddon! :wacko:

Cold & clear again...

Posted

If either of you guys are still worried about the implications of the snip - no matter. If this verifies, things are going to freeze and drop off anyway!!

:lol:

http://www.meteociel...map=0&archive=0

Nice book me in for an ECM

-0.4/-0.7 here and very clear with a very white frost....no sign of any rush hour heavy snow showers on the radar although it would appear the models have flipped to prolonged cold again...well thats if you bother taking any notice beyond t96 these days....anyway its still good to see...until the next run of course

Posted

Another cold start, sitting at -3C. Big flakes from a rogue snow shower in the night frosted to the ground. Barely pushed much above 0C yesterday and looking a similar story again today. Mr Red Squirrel's lid to his feed box frozen shut again so he was unable to grab his nuts, poor little blighter, there's nothing worse

Edited by Northern Strath

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Calm and frosty. Again. YAY! I have to say, it's a real pleasure having proper cold mornings EVERY morning at the moment. It at least feels like winter now.

The bird feeders have seen a population explosion in the last few days........hanging over the snowdrops that are well and truly in flower. Madness.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Are we getting excited about the warm/cold front battle on Sunday? Or is this just a lot of hyperbole! :aggressive:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Nov 13 - not sure where this front will stall so not getting my hopes up just yet!

Better get on with some work - my 10oclock appt is a little late so had time for a wee peek in the forum.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

06z GFS just running now - will see if it decides to become a weather model again. Battleground scenario is still wide open.... or is it front getting delayed west.. 850 temps on NE coast looking :cold: from earlier in this run.

post-7292-0-37292500-1327659708_thumb.pn

GO ANDY ! Boom fine 30 shot rally win, winners going online now.

Edited by lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Very dull this morning and snowing gently just now. Would be nice if it snowed enough to make it easier to walk outside!

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

06z GFS just running now - will see if it decides to become a weather model again. Battleground scenario is still wide open.... or is it front getting delayed west.. 850 temps on NE coast looking :cold: from earlier in this run.

post-7292-0-37292500-1327659708_thumb.pn

GO ANDY ! Boom fine 30 shot rally win, winners going online now.

So then Lorenzo! :whistling:

Is it All Aboard the Siberian Express from Sundayish? :cold: :cold: :cold: :cold:

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Looks like a first glance from the Siberian express on Sunday Big innes, the train however is slow in moving across Europe at this point, a very slack continental flow of colder air, still enough of a flow to lower the upper temps over the following 12 hours.

On the second chart you can just catch a glimpse of the seriously cold upper air that we are waiting to be nudged West.

post-7292-0-13805200-1327661621_thumb.gi post-7292-0-51899200-1327661764_thumb.gi

This modelling rollercoaster has gone on for about 2 weeks of will it, won't it - i think this weekend we may finally see some resolution to the ongoing changes and a new pattern firming up. With things this close the best reference will be the Fax Outputs from the Meto as they re-position the battleground front over the weekend.

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

Very dull this morning and snowing gently just now. Would be nice if it snowed enough to make it easier to walk outside!

Snowing a bit more vigorously now! Still seems a bit wet to add anything to the existing stuff on the ground. Is actually quite nice in the quieter parts of town where yesterday's snow hasn't been tramped into slush before freezing.

Posted

where are you WHERE ARE YOU (he shouts Delia style) I thought looking at the output on offer this would be a bit busier or do you all have proper jobs with no time to check the net sitting in meetings all day :gathering: always wanted to use that emoticon..... I have actually been in meetings myself but when I seen the number of posts in MMT.. (Mental Model Thread) I knew things must be looking ok..... Most interesting for me is the output seems to be following the faxes which shows what a great job they are doing with those.....now look forward to by later tonight Lorenzo and LS explaining the possibilities for a sunday event....too early yet to know and indeed it may be very late before we know where the fronts will meet or indeed whether it will actually happen but certainly moving into the reliable timeframe

uppers at midnight Sun into Monday look healthy on UKMO http://www.weatheron...V=0&WMO==

2m temps look good centrally http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=ukmo&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=tmp2&HH=72&ARCHIV=0&ZOOM=0&PERIOD=&WMO=

and a large band of precipitation heading in from the west which should hopefully move across central and eastern parts and cause snow http://www.weatheron...V=0&WMO==

thats the extent of my abilities...look forward to the Gurus interpretations..... Arise Sir LS and Sir LORENZO

Edited by edodfc

Posted

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=charts;type=fax;sess=

could someone please explain when the 528 dam line lies to our East and I can see the 546 line away to the west.....what thickness value of air are we actually sitting in (I hope that makes kind of sense)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

At t120 we would be somewhere in between though not easy to judge exactly where. If you follow the line round it comes back down in the mid-Atlantic West of the cold front and in between the 546 dam line and 510 dam line off the coast of America. Hopefully sooner rather than later it will be West of us.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

ps Hopefully fairly soon that part of the 528 will lie to our West with the 510 approaching.

Posted

I think that recent GFS runs have said that yes, an easterly is likely but whether it will be a cold or snowy one is yet to be determined. Perhaps one failed attempt could lead us to the pot of gold during February.

Lovely winter's day here too with the hills very white to very low levels. Some thin, patchy lying snow on grass and roofs here in Torrance but in Bearsden it was proper lying snow of less than a cm. So I suppose in both Torrance and Bearsden, it's my second day of lying snow this month.

Very disapointed to hear that Andy lost in the semi finals at the Autralian Open but I do believe that he is yet to peak. Perhaps he will the US Open in Autumn 2014 to coincide with the Scottish Referendum.