Hot?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Part 2

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Excellant local forecast from BBC East Mids, snow all the way!! :drinks:

Posted

snow all the way from where, what looked to be the western extent? i missed the local forecasts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

So excited about tomorrow. :) Still a bit of a question as to how long the snow will fall for, but should still make for some great times ahead, nonetheless. It's sure going to give me a good excuse to get my camera out and do some filming outside. If the GFS 12Z verifies (or comes close), then the snow could be back for revenge next week, with potential Easterly and North-Easterly flow reloads. ;-)

snow all the way from where, what looked to be the western extent? i missed the local forecasts

Probably around the Whelsh Border/Eastern Wales according to the NMM model Precipitation Type charts. Pretty similar for the BBC Weather forecast as well. :)

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

A question guys. Does the met mobile site update later than the main site? Just checked the met mobile site before i came here. For tomorrow they forecasting lite snow shower and sleet for brum.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I look at NW thread a lot, if they are confident then better here, Backtrack has a bbc weather link, shows it as all snow away from coasts, lot of snow S of Manchester on that

Posted

I know, i'm sorry mate but it could be a similiar situation could it not?

Are you talking about the end of Dec 2010?

NAE was pretty good for ppn position but GFS was better at ppn type

Posted

I look at NW thread a lot, if they are confident then better here, Backtrack has a bbc weather link, shows it as all snow away from coasts, lot of snow S of Manchester on that

Im a fair bit further south east but ive been doing the same, if theyre doing well tomorrow then it can only be good news for us, although at the same time I agree with AJ that there may be an arc somewhat to the snow line so just because manchester has snow directly s/sse by say 50miles could well have rain. either way will be interesting to see how it all pans out over the next 24 hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

The Western extent would be Derby area ish for the East Mids...it was all snow and showed nothing of rain/sleet. No sleet or rain was mentioned either.

Posted

Are you talking about the end of Dec 2010?

NAE was pretty good for ppn position but GFS was better at ppn type

Since andys getting some stick for slating how reliable the NAE precip type might be, anyone remember this

post-6740-0-08066600-1328297068_thumb.jp

At +48 and +42 it showed snow over large areas of the midlands, the reality was snow was restricted to oxford southwards.

Its not always right, however this time i hope it is albeit having predicted things 30/40mile to far east :)

Posted

The reports in the Wales thread will also be useful to us tomorrow. Although we have to be careful as many of them live quite high up. Could all of our lowland Welsh friends make themselves known please?! :p

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and Snow

Since andys getting some stick for slating how reliable the NAE precip type might be, anyone remember this

post-6740-0-08066600-1328297068_thumb.jp

At +48 and +42 it showed snow over large areas of the midlands, the reality was snow was restricted to oxford southwards.

Its not always right, however this time i hope it is albeit having predicted things 30/40mile to far east :)

I remember that perfectly, metoffice were wrong, bbc forecasts were wrong and there you have it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

One of the other things to love about snow and cold is the fact that this board and the regional boards are constantly busy! 42 users online on a friday evening in prime pub time! Lets hope tonights GFS and late ECM verify - if they do there's shots at cold and snow from virtually every wind direction possible!

Posted

I remember that perfectly, metoffice were wrong, bbc forecasts were wrong and there you have it

Yup went to bed thinking surely cant go tits up this time at roughly +24, woke up looked at the 0z in horror as it had shifted further south by about 100miles lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

One of the other things to love about snow and cold is the fact that this board and the regional boards are constantly busy! 42 users online on a friday evening in prime pub time! Lets hope tonights GFS and late ECM verify - if they do there's shots at cold and snow from virtually every wind direction possible!

true, wanna keep this quiet, but a pain when users at bottom taken off!

Posted

Yup went to bed thinking surely cant go tits up this time at roughly +24, woke up looked at the 0z in horror as it had shifted further south by about 100miles lol

Lets hope it goes 'our' way this time then :p

Posted

I hope it's bit later tbh, i'm getting this bike tomorrow <---------------------------------- and don't want to ride a new bike in the snow as it's being delivered to work lol.

Posted

To be fair, we were looking at a very progressive north-westerly pattern back then...there was no real cold air around and it was always marginal. It still remains a huge let down though.

This weekend is very different...much more confidence thanks to the very cold air already with us.

Edited by Gord

Posted

I don't know if we're talking about the same event here, but in late Dec 2010 the ppn came as rain! And I seem to recall the warning signs were there at least a day before that happening (Dew points too high etc).

I hope history does not repeat itself, but certainly the build up to this event is much cooler than at that time.

Posted

anyone having problems reading met office weather warnings. visited the met site to check out warnings and it keeps saying can not load start date. ?? :huh:

Posted

To be fair, we were looking at a very progressive north-westerly pattern back then...there was no real cold air around and it was always marginal. It still remains a huge let down though.

This weekend is very different...much more confidence thanks to the very cold air already with us.

You're right, to be fair I'm not going to speculate too much because even seeing a slight covering would make my weekend

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/le10

Hmmm think forecasters that do this should seriously be sacked, cut off the charts that show the weather from 3pm tomorrow, pick the charts back up midday sunday. Isnt the main interest the bit in the middle??? so frustrating when they do that