Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South Central England Regional Discussion Thread Part 2

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear Skies

+2.4C down 0.6C in 20minutes. Still rain, still very fine but a bit more intense. Can't detect anything frozen in it.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold, frosty and crisp!

Snowing lightly BUT steadily here. Light dusting already and temp down to 0.7. Yay!!

Posted

Depends how you define covering, all the pavements my way are now white, but im still seeing completely green grass lol. Ill let you know when I cant see rooftops anymore :)

Interesting comments from Old Met Man, be interesting to see how far east the front makes it and what the intensity of this will be

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

temp 2.9 dew point -1.2.. 0 in the windchill...very lightsnow here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

They actually said rain if you look properly. Don't know how you could have snow but everyone more inland doesn't mmmm

Actually i can confirm its snowing at several parts of the iow.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Ok, slight sizzle/sleet here now in North Southampton, very light though and you have to squint to actually see anything falling from the sky! - but there is something...

DP still -3, temp dropping 1.5 at the mo.

Once the heavier band moves over I'm sure our region will see a significant snowfall, but I'm not sure how long it'll last before turning sleety again.

Hi Mate, where abouts are you?

Eastleigh? Romsey?

BO

Edited by Barometer Obama

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Can now confirm rain where I am in Fareham, not snow as yet but I'm hoping this will change! Temp dropping fairly quickly, now 2.4c & dewpoint -0.3.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Not sure if this will work but.........................

If you have a covering at midnight tonight, then it will not be going anywhere fast, courtesy of colder uppers invading our region from there on into Sunday.

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20120204/12/18/hgt500-1000.png

So, the next 7 hours are VITAL.

Come on everybody, sing along, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. Assuming you don't mind a little of the evil white stuff.

gottolovethisweather

If its rain for you, then cheer yourself up and have a look at the GFS and surprisingly UKMO. Looking good.

Well spotted SD. :good:

Posted

Had some sleet at first but it turned to snow as the intensity increased.. it's been snowing moderately for the last 45 mins and settling nicely. Getting dark now and unfortunately we have no lamp posts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny
Posted · Hidden by gottolovethisweather, February 4, 2012 - There is a reporting button that you can use.
Hidden by gottolovethisweather, February 4, 2012 - There is a reporting button that you can use.

Actually i can confirm its snowing at several parts of the iow so take your attitude n do 1!

sorry mods dont like his sarky tone!

Got a problem speak to me personally

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, lots thereof

Snowing steadily now in Aldershot inclusing dusting roads/pavements 0.5 degrees

Edited by Davboy9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow
Posted · Hidden by gottolovethisweather, February 4, 2012 - don't react as this thread will get rather boring rather quickly.
Hidden by gottolovethisweather, February 4, 2012 - don't react as this thread will get rather boring rather quickly.

think its u the one with the problem.....
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

Not sure if this will work but.........................

If you have a covering at midnight tonight, then it will not be going anywhere fast, courtesy of colder uppers invading our region from there on into Sunday.

http://cdn.nwstatic....hgt500-1000.png

So, the next 7 hours are VITAL.

Come on everybody, sing along, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. Assuming you don't mind a little of the evil white stuff.

gottolovethisweather

Well spotted SD. :good:

If those charts come off, then this event today will be forgoten pretty quick. Not hard to forget if you live this close to the sea tho. For you guys further north and east enjoy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW
Posted · Hidden by gottolovethisweather, February 4, 2012 - pm'd already so stop this bickering.
Hidden by gottolovethisweather, February 4, 2012 - pm'd already so stop this bickering.

OK - I dont like your sarky attitude!

Posted

Actually i can confirm its snowing at several parts of the iow so take your attitude n do 1!

sorry mods dont like his sarky tone!

I can understand your irritation, what many don't realise is that it often snows on the I.O.W when it rains in Portsmouth and bedhampton IS the Portsomouth area. Why that should happen I also don't understand but even Bognor has had marginal snow while Portsmouth have had rain. I don't mean we had snow in Bognor today, just other times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

I have decided to turn my back to the window. A few flakes earlier which was barely visible and now it seems to have stopped. The only covering GTLTW we will have is that from all the liberal salting by the Grit lorrries .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

Just clarifying my opinion. Because of wind direction, ECM chart and dew point indicate a colder temperature

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Hi OMM.

Is this good or bad for our region?

Thankyou kindly.

gottolovethisweather

Hi GTL, it's very tricky indeed, if the LP tracks SSE across S Wales and Somerset/Dorset, we'll still remain on the cold side of the occlusion, with most of the precipitation on its forward edge where the LP is. At 16Z it was snowing as far west as the Welsh border, and the surface analysis for that time is suggesting the occuding process is happening fast, so the warm sector is going quickly too. The surface circulation seems to be forming near the Eire/Northern Ireland border.

As I see it at the moment, coastal areas will see more rain than snow (say up to 10-15 miles inland) or , God forbid, freezing rain, but mostly snow inland. However, as the low heads into the Channel and winds start to back round gradually to the E and then NE, even the coastal strip could get the rain turn back to snow. Bear in mind of course that the area of heaviest precipitation will be out into the Channel by then so the rain/snow will be fizzling out. The occlusion meanwhile will probably start to break up and slow down to the N of the LP, maybe start to bend westward behind the LP as it does so. Once the LP is well south of the UK, what's left of the occlusion will, I think, most likely be off the E Coast.

All this is assuming the LP tracks as predicted, it could be further E in which case the whole occlusion will push through and we'll be in less cold air with drizzly rain, still some sleet/snow on the higher ground.

I think the surface circulation could become quite complex so we could have more than one LP centre, in which case there could be areas of heavier precipitation. It's a shame it's getting dark now because the visible satellite would tell us much more than the IR. But the rainfall radar will start to show the surface circulation soon I would think.

In a sentence, this is a forecaster's nightmare!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine & Snow

Are the flakes supposed to be larger. I've had 1 hour of snizzle now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

If those charts come off, then this event today will be forgoten pretty quick. Not hard to forget if you live this close to the sea tho. For you guys further north and east enjoy.

Whatever, but what is it doing over your house currently and this may well change more favourably for you later today.

Posted

Portsmouth is incredibly low and very densely populated, it also sits in its own valley by virtue of the hills immediatly to the north of it. Love it or loathe it, this creates its own tiny microclimate. Compared to the IOW which is generally at a higher altitude than portsmouth and also less densel populated reducing any chance of heat island effect.

There is macro scale giant and then micro-scale things that can make subtle difference to macro scale expectations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Even though we will be at best a rain/snow event here (prob all rain!) I love seeing people's snow pictures so don't forget to put some on here later please! Thank you xxx