Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Significant Snow Risk This Weekend - General Discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Well a light covering of snow here now in Watton and only started about 45 mins ago, got a night of this now so shud enjoy tomorrow morning!

Edited by i luv snow

Posted

1-2 CM nothing major, hoping there more to come in FEB, would love to see another 2010 Snow Event!

that is unusual for Doncaster to get more than Barnsley.

It looks as if the lower snow depth suggested on the NAE for the last 3 to 4 runs may well have been very accurate. I thought it was wrong but your report and mine suggest, along with that from TM well up in the Peak District, suggest it may have been near enough spot on.

picc of the chart I'm referring to below

post-847-0-14724500-1328390959_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

It looks as if the lower snow depth suggested on the NAE for the last 3 to 4 runs may well have been very accurate. I thought it was wrong but your report and mine suggest, along with that from TM well up in the Peak District, suggest it may have been near enough spot on.

what would be your predictions for the coming week John?

Could there be another snow event like 2010 for yorkshire, or am I getting to carried away lol ??

Posted

what would be your predictions for the coming week John?

Could there be another snow event like 2010 for yorkshire, or am I getting to carried away lol ??

I honestly would not like to predict any snow event for next week. Certainly all 3 models are showing a cold flow from E or NE so that 'could' develop snow showers for this area.

To get as in 30Nov-1Dec 2010 about less than 1% I would think-that was truly exceptional for this and neighbouring areas.

Posted

picc of the chart I'm referring to below

post-847-0-14724500-1328390959_thumb.jpg

I don't think the lull was that apparent tbh.

We managed 8-14cm here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

Anybody have any idea why the radar is being a bit inaccurate tonight? A few people have posted tonight that the radar is showing precipitation over them (on the leading edge) and yet nothing is falling?? I'm now experiencing this.

It's showing the lightest rain/snowfall detectable and I believe due to the low dewpoints in advance of the band of precip, it is evaporating before reaching the ground.

Posted

Hard to measure depth because it has drifted considerably but 6 - 8 inches on my lawn with an 18 inch drift across my drive. Had to leave my car due to sliding and large drifts blowing off the fields. I think a pretty good event, shame it won't last for long here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Better than expected here- near the back edge now but 9-10cm would be a rough estimate-4 ins.in old money.

A large area around Birmingham/Coventry seem to have done as well from reports.

Posted

Evening all

Still snowing and blowing a hoolie and drifting, however i am surprised how the front has marched on. we had an idea the snow would be here about now, and last until the early hours, however it arrived 3hrs early.

Still been very good though and i guess we may have just over an hour left of snow fall.

LO

Posted

Over here on the Welsh borders we got nothing, just lots of snow grains mixed in with rain, it did freeze all over our track making it a bit dicey for most of this afternoon, all gone now though. We very rarely get anything here, mountains west and south of us do well and hopefully we will be able to see them all snow covered tomorrow but we don't get snow below about 300m here.

Hopefully we might get something before winter's over!

Moomin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Back to sleety rain (though light) now, but we finished up with 8 cm in Bewdley. Not bad at all; level with Feb 2007.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Am absolute snowfest here in welli. Few hours more to go according to Models. Everything is covered in white, way more than I got last winter and I wouldnt be suprised for the snow to not nelt all week.

Posted

A few inches here at Heathrow, still snowing heavy. Looks like we are half way through the band of snow on the radar

Heathrow Airport is still open, but it's pretty chaotic at the moment.

I'm listening to the Ground frequency and it sounds like they are using both runways for arrivals, and departing aircraft are being held. Pilots are saying they are missing their "holdover times", which is the window that anti-icing is valid for, and having to return to the gate to be de-iced again, only to go back in a departure queue.........

Posted

the NAE 18z output has picked up on the trough/low deepening a bit more than it suggested at12z; along with the latest radar the heaviest echoes are close by the main trough region, not quite an actual centre yet. The isolabars(areas of rising and falling pressure) suggest it moving on a track just east of south with a possible centre around the I of Wight in the early hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Yay in the decent stuff now, looks like it has come down from from the west mids. Prob about 1-2 inches so far..

Posted

I'm listening to the Ground frequency and it sounds like they are using both runways for arrivals, and departing aircraft are being held. Pilots are saying they are missing their "holdover times", which is the window that anti-icing is valid for, and having to return to the gate to be de-iced again, only to go back in a departure queue.........

Thought it had gone quiet! Last plane that went over our house was about twenty minutes ago and I was thinking blimey an inch of snow and the airport is still managing to operate...almost unheard of LOL (Sorry if your an airport worker only joking!!)

Posted

slight rain now here, T=0.5C Td=-0.5C with abreeze from the ESE about 10 mph

Posted

Tomorrow the Paris greater area will literaly be cut in half really !!!!

Western suburbs up to 7cm of snow and eastern suburbs nothing!!!!!!Paris in middle could see 5cm

all snow holding for a few days as no temps above zero forecasted!!

18-574.GIF?04-18

Posted

A few inches here at Heathrow, still snowing heavy. Looks like we are half way through the band of snow on the radar

Heathrow Airport is still open, but it's pretty chaotic at the moment.

I am listening to 119.5 and it atc keeps repeating only single runway operations.

SH7B is PAM due to faulty anti icing

Posted

there is a very good sat picc on Dundee site and it appears to show the NW jet running in to the developing low also, will copy and paste in here.

Posted

the NAE 18z output has picked up on the trough/low deepening a bit more than it suggested at12z; along with the latest radar the heaviest echoes are close by the main trough region, not quite an actual centre yet. The isolabars(areas of rising and falling pressure) suggest it moving on a track just east of south with a possible centre around the I of Wight in the early hours.

Please could you attach the NAE?