Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Jupiter And Venus Conjunction

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Venus and Jupiter are relatively close and bright tonight to the west, seperated by around 20o. They will be moving closer over the next few weeks until just 3o separates them on March 12th/13th. More info here

Even tonight they look quite impressive

P1000873.jpg

The ISS is passing over here to the south west in 20 minutes also so I presume it will be passing a few places in the UK. Could make for a spectacular view.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

high ,BORN FROM THE VOID ,just been up garden for a look at jup /ven ,very clear night ,makes you wonder mind whats out there ,probably trillions of planets times a few trillion ,i will put 12/13 th march in my diary ,regards legritter :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Good evening legritter, skies are the clearest they've been in a while here.

Caught the ISS a short while ago, passed directly through Venus and Jupiter. Got a few pics and make a quick animated GIF. I've not tripod so with 1s exposures, 'tis a bit blurry.

ISSVenusJupiter.gif

if it doesn't work right on the forum, here's the link http://i976.photobuc...enusJupiter.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

watched iss on computer with the plotting of its path about a year ago .it was passing over costa rica about 9pm at night ,within less than 30 mins it passed over southern britain . i went indoors made a cup of tea and it was passing down over bulgaria in minutes . back two years ago i watched ISS pass through lunar halo / lunar halos ,have been around millions and millions of years /ISS new boy on the block / kind of special ,moment .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Indeed. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Venus and Jupiter are relatively close and bright tonight to the west, seperated by around 20o. They will be moving closer over the next few weeks until just 3o separates them on March 12th/13th. More info here

Even tonight they look quite impressive

P1000873.jpg

The ISS is passing over here to the south west in 20 minutes also so I presume it will be passing a few places in the UK. Could make for a spectacular view.

i saw the i.s.s. pass btween jupiter and venus last sunday, the moon was also lined up nicely tonight with the two planets. Edited by Sprites

Posted

Also what was the orange coloured object in the east tonight, it was another planent maybe? , it is now in the south almost overhead.

Posted

Also what was the orange coloured object in the east tonight, it was another planent maybe? , it is now in the south almost overhead.

Yes its Mars looked pretty impressive tonight

Posted

Yes its Mars looked pretty impressive tonight

thanks will, i knew it wasn't a chinese lantern , clear skies again tonight for many.

Posted

They are geting closer and another planet was on view tonight and that was Mercury in the western twilight. So if the skies are clear at any stage over the next few evenings, three worlds will be on view in the evening twilight.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

I had never seen Mercury until earlier this week. Should be a good chance of observing it tomorrow in a clearer sky.

Edited by Supercell

Posted

Spotted Mercury on Tuesday without intending to as I was walking home about 6.45pm. First time for about 2 years, and easily the highest I've seen it.

Today, however, I managed something that I'd been attempting on and off for a few years, and had all but dismissed as impossible despite astronomy manuals saying otherwise: I saw Venus in daylight. 15 minutes or so before sunset (5.48pm to be precise), but daylight nonetheless (the Sun was behind a cloud just above the horizon, and crepuscular rays were visible at the same time). I looked up to where I thought it should be, scanned around a bit, and there it was. Easily visible, about as prominent as a mag. 1-1.5 star on a dark night. 5 minutes later the sun had come out from behind the cloud and I couldn't find it again until after sunset. But I saw it.

Posted

I managed to see both Venus and Jupiter at about the same time as you. Again, the Sun was behind a cloud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

On 12th March, they will be a mere 3 degrees apart in the sky.

I can't wait!

Skies will be clear all around the UK too. :D

Posted

Interesting, I didn't know you could see Venus in daylight occasionally! Something I am going to have to try and do at some point.

On 12th March, they will be a mere 3 degrees apart in the sky.

I can't wait!

Skies will be clear all around the UK too. :D

Met Office seems to think otherwise, not a single even party clear symbol.. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html (can't help thinking their maps must be at least a bit wrong in that respect for next week?)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Mercury, Venus,Jupiter and Mars - all in one evening earlier this week.

Saturn visible to the naked eye also now.. Quite a show..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Interesting, I didn't know you could see Venus in daylight occasionally! Something I am going to have to try and do at some point.

Met Office seems to think otherwise, not a single even party clear symbol.. http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html (can't help thinking their maps must be at least a bit wrong in that respect for next week?)

The Met Office were going for cloudy tonight but it's clear with only a few clouds in the distance.. they're automated rubbish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Met Office seems to think otherwise, not a single even party clear symbol.. http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html (can't help thinking their maps must be at least a bit wrong in that respect for next week?)

Never known the Met Office to be so poor.

Went for cloudy all last week, and it turned out to be sunny daily!

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17324826

A short item from BBC news detailing when 5 planets - Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, Mars and Saturn - can be seen during the course of an evening at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Recommend you view the article on BBC as Crepuscular says and also check out this site...Anyway from these I saw Mars! never really noticed it..amazing.//enus and jupiter look incredible...., Struggling though to find the moon so guess it is somewhere quite low..:). I so wish I had binoculars...

http://earthsky.org/tonight/best-venusjupiter-conjunction-in-years-mid-march-2012