Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Davis Vantage Pro Problems

Posted

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help that has a Davis Vantage Pro wireless weather station or knows about them please?

About 2 weeks ago mine started to play up. The Summary would not update and I had to do it manually by switching off the Weather link then turning it back on again and all the data would then be shown on my pc and into my web site weather station.. I asked Davis and they suggested unscrewing the Envoy (sat at the side of the pc), taking out one of the batteries, unplugging the power source and disconnecting the data logger. This I did, left as instructed, then connected all up; it seemed okay but quickly became apparent that it was not. Nothing I have tried since, including doing the same, has any effect. So it all has to be done manually, okay when at home but no use when I’m not.

Any ideas anyone?

The second fault started around 1740 on Thursday. The wind speed is functioning fine and the direction appears to be when I look at it but the direction data is only giving N, NNW or now and then NW.

Anyone nay idea how to sort that. Again I have asked Davis but in the last 36 hours had no reply and also the same from an e mail to Weather Shop although it was not bought from there. I do hope I don’t have to bring the mast down to sort it!

Thanks for any help.

Posted

Is no one able to help? 34 have looked but none so far with any ideas on how to solve the problem?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

Is no one able to help? 34 have looked but none so far with any ideas on how to solve the problem?

Sorry John, I don't recognise the problem so not sure what to suggest. When ever I've had a problem of data before its usually been solved by a new battery but it doesn't sound like that will solve your problem.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Sorry John Not an idea anything in the log file for weatherlink???

At least it doesn't sound like a duff supercap which is the normal fault with Davis stations.

Posted

Re. the wind readings, I wondered if some other transmitter nearby might be interfering somehow.

In the Sim box you can change to a different channel which has got to be worth a try.

Easily reversible if it should appear to make things worse!

The problem with your console not updating(?) unless turned off then on seems odd, not impossible some RF harmonics responsible there too.

It would be interesting to try a different cable, you may find a camera one or something will fit.

There are those choke things can be fitted on the wire - inexpensive and worth a go.

I found I already had one on the lead for an unused camcorder.

These are just things worth a try, to be honest it sounds faulty.

Edited by 4wd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Hi John. How long have you had your DavIs wireless station? Does the Consul show the correct info??

Posted

thanks for the advice folks

its a wireless version but I'll look into that idea of changing the channel-not sure how I do that but will have a look in the booklet tomorrow-thanks again

Hi John. How long have you had your DavIs wireless station? Does the Consul show the correct info??

2005 I think it was-Consul =Console=yes for data other than the wind=shows as on the pc from the Envoy wrong direction?

Posted

John, Im not sure on the datalogger but the wind direction issue on the anemometer is almost certainly caused by moisture getting into the system somewhere. I would check for corrosion where the anemometer plugs into the ISS and also if there is any damage to the cabling from the ISS (and unfortunately) up to the actual vane. Theres also a chance the vane has slipped slightly on the spindle so you will need to make sure everything is nice and tight.

They're not the most reliable of things though. Im on my second anemometer in 2 years from Davis, the reed switch failed in the first one so I had the wind direction but it stayed on 0mph all of the time!

Posted

John, Im not sure on the datalogger but the wind direction issue on the anemometer is almost certainly caused by moisture getting into the system somewhere. I would check for corrosion where the anemometer plugs into the ISS and also if there is any damage to the cabling from the ISS (and unfortunately) up to the actual vane. Theres also a chance the vane has slipped slightly on the spindle so you will need to make sure everything is nice and tight.

They're not the most reliable of things though. Im on my second anemometer in 2 years from Davis, the reed switch failed in the first one so I had the wind direction but it stayed on 0mph all of the time!

thanks for that, I'll do the bottom of the mast checks in the morning-umm up; top I'll have to get help to drop it if that is necessary -it was not much fun putting it up but hey ho its the first trouble with the wind side since I started with it 6 perhaps 7 years ago so it sounds as if I have been more fortunate than you have been.

Posted

I don't really have any ideas unfortunately, especially about the summary, but if it is moisture gettting into the ISS transmitter box like reef suggested it might be, one thing that could be worth checking the seal around the solar panel to see if it's still watertight.

A few months after I got my station I noticed occasionally the wind speed would cut out with occasional readings like 1mph or 3mph, often when it was pretty windy. I realised this coincided with wet and windy weather (very annoying as I missed the strongest gusts for a couple years in March 2008), and after thinking the anemometer was faulty as first I found there was water inside the transmitter box. After drying the box and cable plug + where it plugs into it, it usually sorted it. At first I thought the box wasn't very good at keeping water out, but I found that the water was getting in around the solar panel when it rained, so used bathroom tile sealant and put round the edges of the solar panel to make it watertight. It's been fine ever since with no water getting inside. I've no idea how common (if at all) that fault is though, and it's a slightly different sounding error with the wind.

I guess it might be worth just disconnecting the anemometer from the sim box and just reconnecting it to see if there was a bit of dirt or something interfering with the connection.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

thanks for that, something else I can try

so to sum up from you kind folk

various ideas about the wind direction but none really for the Summary not updating

I'll try the wind bit tomorrow other than taking the pole down maybe disconnecting it for the wind into the ISS MIGHT sort the Summary-I'll see but thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Davis had suggested plugging the data logger into the Console and powering that up to see if it gave the same fault. I suspect that is to try and find if its the data logger at fault. Anyone any idea how much a new one might cost please. I looked on the Weather Shop site but could not find that particular item listed?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

well done various checks-the ISS connection seems good and no sign of any water, indeed its not really rained for quite some time. Short of taking the pole down its not possible to do any other checks as the direction at the moment in the light winds here looks about right checking with a compass and the alignment of the vane.

Did what Davis suggested back end of last week re the Envoy, powered it down, took the data logger out, powered down the Console and put the data logger in there, data came into it, so left until after next routine download=nil, Envoy/Console swopped back, Console appears okay with data arriving and same in Envoy but now cannot even manually trigger any download-its stuck on what I thik was the time when I did the change over check.

Not got round to doing a channel change but will see if I can do that later. I assume that is simply a mtter of going into the Davis setup menu and changing the channel or is that too simple - anyone?

Bloody equipment.

Posted

well done various checks-the ISS connection seems good and no sign of any water, indeed its not really rained for quite some time. Short of taking the pole down its not possible to do any other checks as the direction at the moment in the light winds here looks about right checking with a compass and the alignment of the vane.

Did what Davis suggested back end of last week re the Envoy, powered it down, took the data logger out, powered down the Console and put the data logger in there, data came into it, so left until after next routine download=nil, Envoy/Console swopped back, Console appears okay with data arriving and same in Envoy but now cannot even manually trigger any download-its stuck on what I thik was the time when I did the change over check.

Not got round to doing a channel change but will see if I can do that later. I assume that is simply a mtter of going into the Davis setup menu and changing the channel or is that too simple - anyone?

Bloody equipment.

John, don't you love it when when manufacturers say "Have you tried to unplug it,reconnect, and reboot?"

Think yourself lucky if it was a PC the next thing you would be told, is to reload the software and start again....

Not much help I know and I feel for you, I'm watching this as I always fancied one of these beasties but I know they have a few lurking issues....

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

having spoken at last with Weather Shop they suggested doing a systems restore as they tended to blame microsoft for it.

Started it at 1010 and at 0710 this morning it was still doing it. In spite of warning yesterday from pc bloke I get my stuff from I switched off and let it restart, so I'm here, the Davis is still as it was, summary ok but no feeding data beyond that, wind still u/s, had a look part way up the pole and no sign of breaks so back to square one. Thanks for the advice above I hope to find time this afternoon to try that out 4w many thanks.

Posted

System restore won't do a lot. Is it a usb data logger?? You still have told us the weatherlink log file is saying as that's the first port of call for trouble shooting. You can find that via file > view log.

I suspect the fault is in the iSS board though I had a brand new one that would stop transmitting the humidity at random intervals. Luckily I had a anemometer repeater which is the same board so swapped them over which confirmed the fault. They then worked happily until the super caps blew in them.

Posted

The data logger would have to be purchased via the weatherlink software which is rather expensive.

Posted

yes the data logger is well over £200.

Currently I'm ringing the UK company that provide Davis with their official UK outlet for the wind kit to discover if that is a hardware problem. As to the summary not being updated every 10 mins then that is ongoing with Davis-no progress although I've, under their direction, undertaken various tests.

As to the link into the pc I have not yet discovered what type of link it is, usb or other. That was a suggestion from the Weather Shop that it may require a change of type-due to some conflict with Microsoft developing.

Regarding the Systems Restore-yes utter waste of time, after 22 hours it was still not finished so I turned the power off left it a few minutes and re connected, nothing so far suggests the pc or Davis is any different than it was before that.

I'm getting used to putting notes on my web site apologising for things not being correct. At least the web team have managed to return the front page to how it was before the update from Microsoft 'lost' it - the joys of having a web site and AWS!

I suppose I should not complain as this is the first major issue with the Davis since it was set up in 2005 judging by other folks expereiences.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

If it's a usb connection it'll have a cable like the below. If you like I could do a remote desktop session but it won't be tonight as I'm out. You'll need to pm me your phone number. As for having no trouble you lucky person. I've had two faulty ISS boards had to replace the super caps five times. One blown soil mosture station the super cap had blown and the rain had gotten into it as well.

post-2404-0-00443800-1330536535_thumb.jp

Edited by The PIT

Posted

If it's a usb connection it'll have a cable like the below. If you like I could do a remote desktop session but it won't be tonight as I'm out. You'll need to pm me your phone number. As for having no trouble you lucky person. I've had two faulty ISS boards had to replace the super caps five times. One blown soil mosture station the super cap had blown and the rain had gotten into it as well.

ta for the offer, I may take you up if I get no joy with Davis. Not yet got round to pulling the pc out and checking the type of connection.

Posted

not a happy bunny!

Its not a USB link for the data logger as I suspected so to replace that is about £250. To replace the wind vane is just over £180.

I suspect I will make do without the wind direction and have to suffer paying £250 or so for a new USB link.

So much for a cheap hobby, and just paid out extra to get my front page back to where it was before Microsoft update buggered it up!

Posted

USB link is a big no no. Almost 90% guarantee you will have problems with that.

Are you sure it's the data logger as the fault could be with the envoy or the iss board? Have you checked the log file under weather link ? If you're not careful you'll end up paying out for a new datalogger then a new envoy then a new iss board.

Posted

USB link is a big no no. Almost 90% guarantee you will have problems with that.

No longer applies, you only need download the latest driver not the one on weatherlink CD

USB datalogger stays connected and will run for weeks on end, no problem here.

Posted

I guess you're just lucky then but I still wouldn't go near one. I would probably use the ip logger instead.