Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

BBC Countryfile Forecast: 10th January 1993

Weather-history

Posted

Watching the forecasts from the 23rd and 30th May 1999 makes me think back to when there was thundery weather on 3 days out of 6 in late May of a year.

There was a plume of very warm air on a Thursday and spectacular electrical storms moved North that evening, then a period of widespread thundery rain

on a Saturday afternoon after a very warm morning and, after a quieter few days, more storms on the Tuesday night.

I'm fairly certain it was 1999 and the forecasts on the 23rd looking ahead to the Thursday then on the 30th looking head to the Tuesday make me almost sure,

however a daily forecast from the Thursday 27th, Friday 28th or Saturday 29th would confirm.

Do you have any individual daily forecasts from those days please Mr Data? I wish I'd begun keeping records in the mid 90s!

Posted

Watching the forecasts from the 23rd and 30th May 1999 makes me think back to when there was thundery weather on 3 days out of 6 in late May of a year.

There was a plume of very warm air on a Thursday and spectacular electrical storms moved North that evening, then a period of widespread thundery rain

on a Saturday afternoon after a very warm morning and, after a quieter few days, more storms on the Tuesday night.

I'm fairly certain it was 1999 and the forecasts on the 23rd looking ahead to the Thursday then on the 30th looking head to the Tuesday make me almost sure,

however a daily forecast from the Thursday 27th, Friday 28th or Saturday 29th would confirm.

Do you have any individual daily forecasts from those days please Mr Data? I wish I'd begun keeping records in the mid 90s!

Definitely I have been uploading every single forecast I have.

27th May 1999

28th May 1999

29th May 1999

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I've noticed that re. the anticyclonic interludes around mid-May 1999, and the second week of June 1999, with high pressure centred to the west, the forecasts predicted dry weather with plenty of sunshine, and then when it got to within a few days of the event, they progressively upped the cloud amounts in eastern areas.

I'm reminded of the issue where many of us see high pressure and think optimistically about warmth and sunshine, only for the high to end up in the "wrong" place- even the best of the experts get caught out on occasion!

Edited by Thundery wintry showers