Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Explosion Or Bang Heard Across England

Posted

As Paul states it was a RAF Typhoon on a Quick Reaction Alert sortie, I suspect the pilot did it by accident as they are not supposed to break the sound barrier over land, they were reacting to a signal from a Helicopter

With the London Olympics not too far away maybe it was QRA test?

I heard the bang, but you all posted it at 17.25 or so.. but I heard it at 18.12 in Rugby ... extemely loud and sounded local. Strange that its taken 45 mins to reach Rugby area from Bedworth ???? Never heard anything as loud , it was " in the air " and not from "earth" like an earthquake. Too loud I fear for a sonic jet boom. Very strange tho

Posted

Funny, I heard a strange noise when I was out before but it may not have been related (maybe too far away). It was a definite rumbling sound though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Nice I heard this here in Bridgnorth, I was taling to a nieghbour on the balcony and we were both like WTF was that! Sonic Boom...nice I wounder while Guile is :p

Posted

I know that North Wales experiences this frequently via RAF Valley as my wife's family live there. But its also the most seismically active part of the UK. So they can easily be confused.

This is my PhD thesis I did with the BGS, if you are interested in real events!

https://lra.le.ac.uk/handle/2381/8615

Posted

Double boom, classic sonic boom as the shockwave from the nose passes followed by the second shockwave at the tail. The further away from the aircraft you are the more obvious the double boom is.

But how could it have been heard over 100's of square miles?

It moves along with the aircraft so anyone along its route while it was supersonic would have heard the bang.

Edit: See here:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

"Typhoon" and "sonic boom" are now trending on twitter.....

post-10773-0-56602000-1334258546_thumb.j

...can't wait to for the conspiracy theories to start help.gif

Posted

.can't wait to for the conspiracy theories to start help.gif

I expect PP is busy tapping away on You tube as we speak!

Posted

We can confirm that a small civilian aircraft was transmitting inadvertently on an emergency frequency at approximately 1810. Two typhoons from the Quick Reaction Alert (QRA) responded accordingly and authorisation was given from them to go supersonic which resulted in the sonic boom. There was no actual threat to the civilian aircraft and they soon rectified their mistake.

– MINISTRY OF DEFENCE

http://www.itv.com/n...r-the-midlands/

I thought it might have been someone's petrol and stamp collection going up in smoke angel.gif

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

It's the Government trying to eliminate the middle classes

Posted

It's reassuring to think how fast these things were deployed, didn't it take over an hour during 9/11 to deploy them?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Sonic boom makes sense of course...I remember as a child when I lived in Brixham, Torbay, I used to hear the sonic boom from concorde every night around 9pm out in the bay...during the summer I'd hear it and my first thought was always "yippee night time thunder!" only then to realise what it really was doh.gif

Posted

It's reassuring to think how fast these things were deployed, didn't it take over an hour during 9/11 to deploy them?

"The RAF maintains a number of armed fighter aircraft on alert for air policing duties, both NATO and national. The crews are normally dismounted but are able to be in the air in an extremely short space of time."

http://www.airtraffi...91K2tAI.twitter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Interesting tweet from Ian Fergusson..... here's the photo link...

https://fbcdn-sphoto...954807389_n.jpg

Interesting tweet from Ian Fergusson..... here's the photo link...

https://fbcdn-sphoto...954807389_n.jpg

probably a bird or something, but interesting none the less

Posted

Definitely fighters. 2x Eurofighters were scrambled to intercept a light aircraft/helicopter that had strayed into restricted airspace and were quiet on COMs. I was out about 30 minutes before this and heard the jets being scrambled from one of the bases overhead, no sonic boom at that time however but no doubt it was a single-engined fighter above FL150.

Posted

post-10773-0-38793900-1334260893_thumb.j

Just seen this picture posted on twitter - no idea how reliable the source is though !

Posted

post-10773-0-38793900-1334260893_thumb.j

Just seen this picture posted on twitter - no idea how reliable the source is though !

already posted! doh.gif .......(see page 2)

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pallidcreatures/sets/72157629437504062/

Swamp gas, venus, meteorite, how convenient for the MOD to give us the helicopter story. Of course even if it is just a balloon they'll never admit to scrambling 2x Eurofighter Typhoons (at break-neck speed across central England) to 'check it out.'

Posted

I heard the bang, but you all posted it at 17.25 or so.. but I heard it at 18.12 in Rugby ... extemely loud and sounded local. Strange that its taken 45 mins to reach Rugby area from Bedworth ???? Never heard anything as loud , it was " in the air " and not from "earth" like an earthquake. Too loud I fear for a sonic jet boom. Very strange tho

The first post is showing as 18:25 for me, I reckon the forum still has a glitch where it sometimes shows GMT when it should show BST. The reports say it was about 18:10 so it ties in pretty well with what you reported. :)

Earthquake same time something fishy http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/7692225.stm

Not too sure ''07:27 GMT, Monday, 27 October 2008'' is the same time as today's event somehow..

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

That article is dated 2008

Oh yeah DOH good spot what someone linked on twitter !!!