Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted

Just been out to have back sorted after a few large cows proved awkward to load yesterday and shoved me out of the way.Crossed the Findhorn river and have not seen it so big for a long time , its being watched tonight. Local burn is also lapping the tops of the banks and all fields have ponds in them with a few resident duck in each of them!!!!.

Rain has stopped and skies have cleared as Hairy Celt says but temperature plunging ,2c according to car,still have winter tyres on just as well. The cold nights are having a serious effect on all growth on the farm and as we have a very short growing season anyway it all counts against final yields.

Very wintry sunset over the Firth tonight with a strong NNE wind and small wintry shower clouds being highlighted in pink.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Much better today. An overnight low of 2.2c has risen to 11.1c with NNW gusty wind. However, it has remained dry and sunny so far which led me to the greenhouse to do some potting on of some medium plug plants which arrived today. Absolutely no growth yet, but things are still alive! Looks like a reasonable weekend in prospect, moreso than south of the border for a change. At least it will help their drought conditions, tho' not all are happy!

2pm saw the end of my dry day with some heavy showers which are ongoing. Still, got quite a bit done so fairly happy.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Cold here in the Northern Isles and we've just had a wet snow shower. Temp dropped to 3C and dew was 1.5C! Lovely spring weather lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Started brightly enough but now cold grey and wet - again, so I was wrong about the end of the rain! We have about a month of dry firewood left and I hope it's enough. The potato patch - with my babies as of last weekend - looks like a cold, muddy pond. Oh dear.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Phwoar, blue sky at last. Mustafa beer to celebrate!!drinks.gif

And look at the weekend foreskincast - sunshine all round!!

Just had a look at my photos from Perthshire and they're very poor - I'm blaming the rubbish light filtered through thousands of metres of cloud. Apart from this one which I confess I have manipulated somewhat...

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

5.0C currently. Light showers. One heavier with large hailstones earlier. Did reach double figures again for the second time this week. Max 10.4C. Min 0.3C.

Posted

What a dark spring day here with some pretty prolonged periods of snow at times throughout. Garden was white for the afternoon but it did'nt last any longer. Soil is sodden after a very wet period of late. I echo any prayers for decent weather. Some blue sky days and a bit of warmth in May would be just dandy after a messy April. Certainly after today it's surely time for winter to go to bed and come back when it's more appreciated and more fun!

Currently 1.1C

Edited by Northern Strath

Posted

Pish, pish, and more pish.! and a wee bit of sun just to make you curse out loud. help.gif

7C and heavy clouds, which have pretty much rolled through all week. Please let it clear a bit, off for a open day at local farm, and would like my venison burger on a dry roll.

Posted

Well we got a sunset tonight but it was a pretty wintry one especially to the NE over the Firth out into the North Sea where you could see some light wintry showers in the photos.post-2744-0-32291300-1335561640_thumb.jppost-2744-0-81281400-1335561537_thumb.jp To match the wintry theme its currently 0c and the cattle in the steading look very cosy in deep dry straw, doesn"t feel like spring at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

yahoo.gif

Aye, seems summer is the new winter....

F.F.S. Why could we not have had this sort of stuff in Dec-Feb...

t850Aberdeenshire.png

Was getting my hopes up about that big rise in uppers and then this...

ecmt850.168.png

Och well, maybe leave the BBQ in the shed and get out the skis again...

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

You put your skis in the shed already.... they've had 3 feet of snow in 4 days..

.mid.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Been on Rum the past week. It's the third time I've been there for a week-long spell at this time of year and this has by far been the driest I've experienced. No rain whatsoever. Much colder than the last couple of times, but dry, sunny and windy. Just superb!

It's been interesting watching enormous clouds brewing over the mainland all week and thinking it looked like snow falling. Proved to be correct driving back from Mallaig last night. Utterly utterly beautiful drive home to Fife with an amazing amount of snow on the hills around Glen Finnan and further south towards Tyndrum. Actually, when I stopped at the Real Food Cafe in Tyndrum (which I heartily recommend for their fish 'n' chips) it was 2C, had clearly been snowing and yet there were folk getting out of the cars with shorts on. Has it been summer weather further south or something!?

And then of course to top it all off, I got home and saw the news from Cairngorm about the snow this week. Looks like the snowshoes may actually get used tomorrow.....in April! That's the last thing I expected to happen this year.

Edited by Scotster

Posted

Took some photos from the local trig point this morning More or less blue skies after -1c at 6.00am this morning. Currently 8c. Cows out again but will keep them in at night until after next weekend if models are to be believed. Grass to roll, N to go on barley and farm road to repair this week if it remains dry.

Hills above Cawdor have a dusting.post-2744-0-88032800-1335622817_thumb.jp

Ben Wyvis with significant snow cap above Nairnpost-2744-0-95015000-1335622888_thumb.jp

Cluny Hill Forrres in the distance to the NEpost-2744-0-18634400-1335622779_thumb.jp

Looking dirctly N over the Moray Firth,more snow capped hillspost-2744-0-15902600-1335622979_thumb.jp

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A nice day here with just a couple of light showers. Cool NE breeze though in the shade. Min was -0.2C. Max 9.8C.

Took the dog for a walk up the Sidlaws this afternoon. Looking North and West nice to see the hills with a good cover of snow.

Cairngorms in particular have had a real good dump at altitude. Over a metre level in the Ptarmigan bowl apparently according to my brother. looks like a right cold blast could be on the cards for next weekend too.

Posted

Who hit the winter reset button? Come on own up.

Woke to this earlier..... pretty but it's almost May!

post-2849-0-79437900-1335632467_thumb.jp

post-2849-0-34006700-1335632469_thumb.jp

Been a nice day, scattered clouds and 11C, and no rain as yet.

Posted

Blue sky day here, a bit cloudier inland. Went for a good walk on a hill near Beinn Dearg (the one SE from Ullapool), some grainy snow blowing around high up, much more to the north. Tomatoes are growing again too but I doubt whether the potatoes are in the swampy garden

Beinn Dearg this afternoon:

Edit: here's a zipped version of the photo that you can download if you want. It is rather better than the junk version thumbnailed above.

drinks.gif

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Quite a monster front over England right now. Heading north but no warnings for Scotland it seems.

Getting the grass cut quickly the morn anyway.

Could be no bad as we approach midweek - a tad more spring-like - but then back to winter....

t850Midlothian.png

Posted

Fantastic blue skies this morning Young Mr.Northernlights rolling grass,Me getting the garden mower out Currently 8c after -2c at 6.00am this morning. Acres of tatties still to plant round here but modern varieties grow very fast so still time.

Posted

Fantastic blue skies this morning Young Mr.Northernlights rolling grass,Me getting the garden mower out Currently 8c after -2c at 6.00am this morning. Acres of tatties still to plant round here but modern varieties grow very fast so still time.

Same here. Having kittens over what to do with fast growing unhardy veg after looking at what SS refers to above for next weekend. Miaow miaow.

Quite a monster front over England right now. Heading north but no warnings for Scotland it seems.

Getting the grass cut quickly the morn anyway.

Could be no bad as we approach midweek - a tad more spring-like - but then back to winter....

t850Midlothian.png

Grrr where's the 'definitely don't like this' button??

Posted

Sunny afternoon here at 8.9C. Still a cold NE breeze. No air frost here last night [1.1c min] with the sea breeze but not far inland down to -5C I am told with -7C in the Highlands again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Reached 9.3c today from an overnight low of 1.7c. Felt really cold and raw with a strong NE wind. Cloudy all day too.

Posted

Just back from farm open day at Slamanann and boy was it Baltic in the strengthening wind. 9c and sky now looking very heavy. Best make the most of mid week by the looks of it.

Posted

Nothing to do with Scottish weather but just something to make those nervous of flying even more so...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17863501

High winds shake planes landing in Bilbao, Spain

All credit to the pilots!