Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Snowing lots now... But then i am 700m up a hill in perthshire! Schiehallion looking intermittently wonderful. Pff, snowman mode now, don't get this at home! Yeehaa.

Posted

After a nice sunny afternoon with a cool fresh NE wind we have had more torrential showers this evening and its very dark as well. Back to square one waiting for the ground to dry.Currently 7.1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Heavy shower here - fair coming down.

Can't help but state that SS is now finally enjoying his new man cave with garden views. Extension saga drawing to a close. TFFT.

I now own a small but comfortable corner of my house (Mrs SS and mini Miss SS own the rest) after all these years of hard labour.

Halogen affixed above said man cave garden window of course.

Now for a Scottish spring...

Posted

Very heavy and occasional showers here.  Some hail mixed in and feels cool.  Torrential shower last night for half an hour left standing water everywhere but in between showers today some pleasant sun.  Out of wind it feels pleasant but showers are never far away.

Does anyone know if grass seed can fail due to being too soggy?  I planted seed 2.5 weeks ago and it is showing no signs of doing anything.  There has been no air frosts here in that time that I am aware of but I would nt be surprised if there has been the odd grass frost.

cheers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Heavy downpour to my east, very dark skies over that way.

Posted

Hi you are right most nights this April have been near to freezing up here only this last week has improved and got anywhere near 6c (because of cloud cover and rain) which most plants need for sustained growth. Always told not to sow grass seed till April on the farm but got away with it in March this year as soil temperatures were high enough to germinate it but has grown very little in April.Similarly would not sow grass beyond early September always risky because of colder nights. Grass should eventually come when the warmth does unless it is completely drowned as modern seed dressings preserve its viability for a long time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Turned into a rather nice sunny afternoon here (near Edinburgh airport).

My lawn has really come to life now - need to start cutting it (only one cut so far this year during the 'summer').

Summer Part Deux on the way?

t850Midlothian.png

Posted

More heavy showers coming in off the Firth from the NE.You know its getting bad when your agronomist asks you whats gone wrong with the weather.We are both the same age and have never seen the extreme heat/dry we saw in March and the cold and wet we in the NE of Scotland have seen this April.Young Mr.Northernlights walked the crops this afternoon and was sinking up to 6 inches in soggy soils. I don"t look as it just depresses me. Currently 6c and almost dark.

Posted

Thanks for the input NL.  Hopefully it will just come away.  Hopefully summer part 2 is indeed on the way and your fields dry up a bit.  Much more important then a piddly bit of grass I am moaning about!

cheers

Posted

Had temp reach 12C in Ayr with frequent rain & hail showers, but when driving home this evening around 1730, encountered rain, hail, sleet and wet snow in the distace of 6 miles! Had temp drop from 11C to 3C in this distance.

Had hail on the west side of Failford (B743) that then turned to snow through the hamlet and out the east side.

At first I thought it was hail that had laid, but I stopped at the side of the road, and found it was wet snow.

Showers have now died out but still have 80 percent cloud cover.

Posted

I also noticed that these showers and bands of rain are seem to be having no problems at all in travelling east-west across the whole country.  I grim spell, certainly in the NE quadrant at least, but fingers crossed we get some dryer and hopefully warmer weather at least for a short while...

Posted

Still on the rather wet and wintry perthshire hills - was out 10 today, got about 3 hours dry and 5 mins sun, and lots of sleet, snow, hail and rain but luckily little wind. Probably a similar if rather wetter day tomorrow...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Day of sunshine and showers. Bitter wind, more like November than late April.....

Posted

tipping it down for a change.  gutters overflowing again.  weather warnigns out in force for the north east for the next 3 days for rain.  oh joy.  then the weekend has one of those funny yellow circle symbols and 10C - that sounds much more like it.

Posted

It's wet, soggy and horrid here. I really hope that couple of days in March wasn't it for the summer. We bought a BBQ so I reckon this is my fault and to add insult to injury, a gazebo was also purchased.......I fear I'll never see the sun again because of this. Best leave buying the BBQ tools for a bit, don't want to relegate the chance of summer completely!

Posted

Foul day here strong NE wind and driving rain off and on. Currently 6.2c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Well judging by the severe lack of any posts I guess the weather today annoyed everyone.

If not am projecting - apologies..

Truly was miserable, Grey, overcast, cold, sharp biting rain, interspersed with clingy drizzle and then capped off with hortizontal wind and stormy downbursts of even colder wind and paintball type rain pellets.

If I could pick any weather synoptic as scraping the bottom of the barrel then today was it ! Onwards and upwards in patterns from here please !!

Posted

I have had enough too I must say!  It is drier today (so far) but this afternoon and evening is forecast to be very wet...

But hope on the horizon and weekend looks drier and maybe a bit warmer next week.  I hope so at least!

Posted

Speaking to a machinery rep this morning and he was saying there are still hundreds of acres to sow with spring cereals in the area .With daylength sensitive spring cereals the time is fast approaching where late sowing will severely compromise yields. UK cereal yields have plateaued or fallen since the late eighties in my opinion because of large scale farming which stretches itself with the minmum of large machines (accountant run, my brother in law is one!!!) in the very short weather windows we get today Miserable day again driving rain and currently 5.9c. Must be masses of snow on the tops of the Cairngorms now No hope of getting cattle out as there is no growth and they would destroy the grass with their feet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A bit better today here than forecast with just a few showers. Reached 10.2C, first double figures this week and only the second in the last fortnight.. Still a cold NE wind though.

Brother and nephew away up to Cairngorm tomorrow for some wellcome but unexpected skiing over a wider area than anyone would have thought a few weeks ago.

Posted

Just came back up the A9 at teatime. Temp between 1C and 3C between Kingussie and the Drumossie Brae with heavy sleet most of the way. Burns were foaming. I couldn't see Cairngorm at all through all that so can't help with lying snow levels. God help Speyside - and NL and all the other farmers and other folk trying work outdoors in the north-east. At least that looks to be about the end of the rain but night-time temps still look to be about freezing for a few more nights.