Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Why Does This Forum Go Down So Much In Time Of Action!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Bad blizzards..... site goes down

Bad storms.... Site goes down

Storms decay, site back up! :(, come on guys atleast put a back up plan in place, perhaps a temporary chat window if the site is down?

Surely we don't have that many members on tonight?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I demand a refund...*

*tongue in cheek comment!

Posted

I demand a refund...*

*tongue in cheek comment!

I can only pay with packets of crisps! :p

Posted

A turn around of ~2 hours from going down to being back up again in the middle of the night is pretty good. I was thinking it wouldn't be back up again until working hours.

I am a bit disapointed that only my second post ever wasn't in the convective discusion though.

Posted

The downtime overnight was nothing to do with the number of people online or the weather, it's one of those things. We've had a month of bad weather / storms etc and the forum hasn't gone down at all, so as ever Victor you're being a bit harsh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

The downtime overnight was nothing to do with the number of people online or the weather, it's one of those things. We've had a month of bad weather / storms etc and the forum hasn't gone down at all, so as ever Victor you're being a bit harsh.

I dont believe it

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Bad blizzards..... site goes down

Bad storms.... Site goes down

Storms decay, site back up! sad.png, come on guys atleast put a back up plan in place, perhaps a temporary chat window if the site is down?

Surely we don't have that many members on tonight?

There is nothing like moaning about something that is free when it isn't available!

How about a bit of gratitude for the site or go elsewhere.

Posted

come on ch, this is a web site not one for seeing miracles! Its a bit like asking the cold brigade in winter to post objectively.

Posted

There is nothing like moaning about something that is free when it isn't available!

How about a bit of gratitude for the site or go elsewhere.

When other forums go down you get

" Sorry for the downtime and the fustrations, we will look into it "

Here you get

" Show some respect or bugger off "

I wasn't even being nasty f*s!

Edited by Victor Meldrew

Posted

On this forum you do get "Sorry for the downtime and the fustrations, we will look into it type responses" whenever there is an issue, it was 2am though so putting the forum online was more important at that point.

The fact is though that your thread title and post content were inaccurate and a bit ott, as it's simply untrue the forum goes down 'whenever there is bad weather'. Had you worded it more politely and less aggressively maybe other people would have responded in a more friendly manner.

Posted

I don't see anything wrong with it at all....

Was even having a laugh banter with Nick L

Ah well here we go again, I say Blue you say Green atleast it's up now and I didn't see any storms at 3am lol :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

the ATD lightning map was working fine throughout though good.gif.....

Edited by Sprites

Posted

There normally would be an update posted on the site, but wasn't on this occasion, we also post on facebook/twitter etc if we have updates about any problems.

Fwiw, this is the forum's uptime over the past month - 3hr 50 of downtime, 3 hrs of which was last night between about midnight and 3am and 30 minutes or so was when we updated the software earlier in the month - not bad for a month which has been filled with storms, heavy rain etc eh Victor?!

post-2-0-10710600-1335865465_thumb.png

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Got another idea. If it's late at night and the forum goes down go to bed :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Got another idea. If it's late at night and the forum goes down go to bed smile.png

Don't be silly! aggressive.gif

Posted

Got another idea. If it's late at night and the forum goes down go to bed smile.png

Go to bed during a thunderstorm night, ok pull the other one...

Anyway each time this forum goes down i'll post about it here, I wonder if the host is located some where in london. Last time I came and posted was during the snow and it was down when the member count peaked :)

Edited by Victor Meldrew

Posted

I think I might be talking to myself here as every time I say it I seem to be ignored, but any downtime we have had on the forum this year has been totally unrelated to traffic or weather. Taking 2 nights ago as an example - it was after midnight, and whilst some people were up following the storms it was nowhere near as busy at that point as it had been during the day, we think the actual issue was that an overnight backup went a bit weird and took the servers offline.

Sometimes servers go down, it's a fact of life - we have redundancy in our system (ie we have more than one server for the forum and if one goes the others can pick up the slack) but even the best laid plans can't protect from an occasional outage.

As I posted though, we have independent monitoring, it's there and transparent and as you'll see any downtime is pretty minimal and seldom coincides with severe weather - look at April we had several days with storms, flooding, gales yet the only significant periods of downtime were overnight the other day + the point we updated the forums and took them offline for a while.

http://status.netweather.tv/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I think I might be talking to myself here as every time I say it I seem to be ignored, but any downtime we have had on the forum this year has been totally unrelated to traffic or weather. Taking 2 nights ago as an example - it was after midnight, and whilst some people were up following the storms it was nowhere near as busy at that point as it had been during the day, we think the actual issue was that an overnight backup went a bit weird and took the servers offline.

Sometimes servers go down, it's a fact of life - we have redundancy in our system (ie we have more than one server for the forum and if one goes the others can pick up the slack) but even the best laid plans can't protect from an occasional outage.

As I posted though, we have independent monitoring, it's there and transparent and as you'll see any downtime is pretty minimal and seldom coincides with severe weather - look at April we had several days with storms, flooding, gales yet the only significant periods of downtime were overnight the other day + the point we updated the forums and took them offline for a while.

http://status.netweather.tv/

I don't understand why some people are kicking up a fuss :s it's not like the forum is a life support machine that gave up the ghost. That I could understand.

Posted

Not sure, but I guess as the question raised in the title of the thread has been answered (eg the forum doesn't go down whenever there is severe weather), we may as well close this one now.