Slight

Forecaster: Dan

Last Updated: 2012-05-09 09:01:00

Valid: 2012-05-09 08:33:00 - 2012-05-09 23:59:00

Areas Affected:

post-6667-0-00401600-1336574195.png

SLGT: SE Wales, Midlands, E Anglia, Home Counties, West Country

Synopsis:

South of a warm front, advection of high WBPTs will move across southern Britain with potential for some slight instability.

Discussion:

Some slight instability may be generated today ahead of the next pulse of heavy rain arriving late afternoon/evening from the southwest. If any brightness can develop over the highlighted areas, there is potential for a few hundred J/kg CAPE which may allow a few shallow heavy showers or thunderstorms for a time, but it must be stressed this is a slight risk - main concern is excessive cloudiness and rather saturated profiles may hinder convection somewhat.

However, forecast soundings highlight some good directional and speed shear, with some reasonable helicity coupled with up to 14m/s LLS and 30m/s DLS, if a shower/storm should develop there is a chance of perhaps a low-topped supercell capable of producing a tornado and/or moderately-sized hail.

For now we only go for a SLGT risk due to the uncertainties and lack of confidence, but we will monitor the situation and may issue updates if necessary.

SkyWarn:

SKYWARN UK SEVERE WEATHER WATCH #019

ISSUED: 1130UTC WEDNESDAY 9TH MAY 2012 (SM/DH/GJ/GS)

SKYWARN UK HAS ISSUED A SEVERE WEATHER WATCH FOR THE FOLLOWING REGIONS: WALES ENGLAND SCOTLAND

IN EFFECT FROM 1130UTC WEDNESDAY 9TH UNTIL 2359UTC THURSDAY 10TH MAY 2012

STRONG WARM AIR ADVECTION UNDER THE DIVERGENT NOSE OF A DEEP JETSTREAM, WITH CYLOGENESIS PROVIDING FURTHER DEEP MOISTURE CONVERGENCE AND INSTABILITY

THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF SEVERE WEATHER AFFECTING THE INDICATED REGIONS IN THE TIME PERIOD SPECIFIED. THREATS WITHIN THIS WATCH INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO: HEAVY RAIN...FLOODING...STRONG GUSTS...FUNNELS / WEAK TORNADOES

DISCUSSION:

THERE IS STRONG MODEL AND PARTNER AGENCY CONFIDENCE ON THE POSSIBILITY OF A NUMBER OF SEVERE WEATHER RISKS THROUGH WED AND THUR, DETAILED SEPARATELY WITHIN THIS WATCH. IN THE COMING HOURS, A WARM FRONT PUSHES NORTHEAST ACROSS THE WATCH AREAS WITH CYCLOGENESIS TO THE SOUTHWEST PROVIDING SOME VEERING OF THE LOW LEVEL WINDS AHEAD OF IT. A ZONE OF CONVERGENCE MAY BECOME THE FOCUS FOR SPORADIC EMBEDDED CONVECTION, WITH AREAS BETWEEN WALES AND EASTERN ENGLAND POSSIBLY AT RISK OF MORE ORGANISED ORGANISED CONVECTION GIVEN THE DIRECTIONAL SHEAR PROFILE IN THE LOW TO MID LEVELS AND STRENGTHENING DLS WITH THE ONCOMING JET AND FRONTAL WAVE ALOFT. BRIEF SUPERCELL CHARACTERISTICS CANNOT BE RULED OUT, THOUGH THIS RISK IS MARGINAL.

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

DURING THURSDAY AFTERNOON, THERE IS POTENTIAL FOR STRONG CONVECTIVE INITIATION ACROSS PARTS OF NORTHEAST ENGLAND IN A HIGHLY SHEARED ENVIRONMENT. HEAVY GENERAL PRECIPITATION WITH POSSIBLE CONVECTIVE ELEMENTS WILL LINGER OVER SCOTLAND DURING THE DAY, POSSIBLY ACCUMULATING AS MUCH AS 30-40MM IN CENTRAL AREAS. FLOODING IS ALSO POSSIBLE HERE THOUGH LESS LIKELY.

post-6667-0-00401600-1336574195_thumb.pn

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

I feel tired for an unexplained reason...

Yep, The Voice does that to me too....... :whistling:

william-crying-on-the-voice.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

94% humidity here, the highest humidity level in a long long time!

I find that interesting, the humidity has hit the 90's every day here for the last 24 days. search.gif

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I find that interesting, the humidity has hit the 90's every day here for the last 24 days. search.gif

We are on different sides of the country, you are more prone to the onslaught of humid south westerlies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Dew Point is almost above 10C here, which would be the first time since March when it reached 10.5C.. doesn't feel muggy though, since it's cool bordering chilly.

Posted

We are on different sides of the country, you are more prone to the onslaught of humid south westerlies.

It's still strange.

Have a peek at this, http://www.gardiners.info/graphs.html Manuden, not too far from you.

The outside humidity graph shows it in the 80's and 90's quite a lot. mega_shok.gif

12.5°C dew point here. Definitely a muggy feel to it. Looking forward to some heavy rain though.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Dew points are 13.7C here, muggy muggy muggy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Same here...mild and moist

Temperature 15.8 °C

Dew Point 14 °C

Humidity 94%

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Same here...mild and moist

Temperature 15.8 °C

Dew Point 14 °C

Humidity 94%

Sorry...always tickles me when anything is described as "moist" :rofl:

I always stick with humid, oppressive or muggy hehe!

Speaking of which, this humidity is really ramping up now!!! Thoroughly expecting the heavens to give way tonight!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Here she comes, Bridgette from Biscay. rofl.gif

post-7183-0-62558500-1336580357_thumb.gi

Currently 13.7c here after a max of 14.2c @ 1420BST, DP currently 13.1c, RH 96% and rising slowly barometer reading of 1008.1hpa.

No sferics detected yet but good luck all, who knows what might come off. good.gif

Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Sorry...always tickles me when anything is described as "moist" rofl.gif

I always stick with humid, oppressive or muggy hehe!

Speaking of which, this humidity is really ramping up now!!! Thoroughly expecting the heavens to give way tonight!!

Don't get me started lol rofl.gif

Posted

good luck all, who knows what might come off. good.gif

I'm reasonably confident of rain, lots and lots of rain!!!!

Posted

............, who knows what might come off. good.gif

Regards

gottolovethisweather

*tsk* is she another one of your 'models' whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I'm reasonably confident of rain, lots and lots of rain!!!!

I think you are onto something there for sure, where will be the highest total and how much?

I'd hazard a guess at Brize Norton and a 38mm (0900 to 0900) rainfall total. Of course, I am cheating slightly as the total would include today's rainfall thus far.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

NAE is forecasting the highest totals to be in south west Scotland..

Posted

Sorry...always tickles me when anything is described as "moist" rofl.gif

Really Harry.... I'm only taking about the weather rolleyes.gif

post-10773-0-46398400-1336581231_thumb.g

Posted

*tsk* is she another one of your 'models' whistling.gif

She's French and I'll say no more other than my area could be very moist, come the morning. pleasantry.gifrolleyes.gif

Posted

Actually NAE Is now forecast the highest totals to be in NW England

Posted

Actually NAE Is now forecast the highest totals to be in NW England

Let's play place your bets......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Could have sworn this thread was about a storm chase and tomorrow's convective potential?.......whistling.gif

Posted

Could have sworn this thread was about a storm chase and tomorrow's convective potential?.......whistling.gif

??? Is there another thread AJ? I'll try not to derail this thread any further............... good.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Rain is a certainty, but what about thunderstorms, lightning, tornadoes, supercells? good.gif

Posted

post-7183-0-62558500-1336580357_thumb.gi

Currently 13.7c here after a max of 14.2c @ 1420BST, DP currently 13.1c, RH 96% and rising slowly barometer reading of 1008.1hpa.

No sferics detected yet but good luck all, who knows what might come off. good.gif

Regards

gottolovethisweather

It looks like it's scooting up at a more acute angle than that. The heavier stuff looks like going towards the IoW and East. help.gif

Posted

Really Harry.... I'm only taking about the weather rolleyes.gif

post-10773-0-46398400-1336581231_thumb.g

The tongue of warmth is really depicted well there in that graphic! Often leads to an exciting and quite electric atmosphere with pulsating bursts of energy once the moisture has been knocked out of the way......I can go on but I won't :rofl:

Tomorrow's potential will be determined by how tonight pan's out...so both IMO are significantly interconnected and relevant within this thread :D

When the NAE charts are chopping about, which are normally one of the most reliable in the short time frame, it usually means a complex setup which could go either way.

Really wouldn't want to second guess anything at the moment to be honest!