Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reports & Pictures Chase Day 10 - Oklahoma

Paul Sherman

Posted

Should call this you win some and you lose some, but still an incredible day with a Tornado to boot but only from a Video Grab, pay off was good old Oklahoma Panhandle Structure, ear splitting bears cage thunder and the biggest Mamma I have ever seen. The kick in the teeth was that my target had we not had to get back to DFW Would have been Pratt (Kansas) where we ate lunch - Ho Hum and well done to all who got that East moving Cyclic Landspout producing monster.

So we waited patiently for the dryline to fire further south and it duly did around 430pm, Storms were quickly competing with each other but once or twice a Supercell would emerge from the line and look like it would get the job done, lost count of funnel clouds, the bears cage was interesting quite a few times with gunshot thunder. Then as usual the structure took over and treated us to amazing LP,HP & Classic Supercell structure, in fact at one point we had all three in view - Insane

Anyhow chased after dark until midnight and ended in Lawton just 150 miles from DFW.

The guys have really enjoyed this trip with 6 out of 10 chase days and bang on the average of 4,000 miles driven, not bad for a death ridge, 1 Tornado, and 9 Supercells.

post-24-0-05789000-1337500392_thumb.jpg - Structure just North of Arapaho

post-24-0-67599000-1337500430_thumb.jpg - Classic Supercell

post-24-0-24003100-1337500453_thumb.jpg - 40DD ??

post-24-0-57939000-1337500481_thumb.jpg - Love this Picture of the Structure

post-24-0-64710400-1337500517_thumb.jpg - North of Snyder

post-24-0-98039200-1337500561_thumb.jpg - Amazing Structure

Posted

Great end to the tour. Some really nice photos Paul. Lots more to come in tour 3 building up to the mother of all tour 4's please! good.gif

Posted

Should be interesting skies Sunday evening in west Texas (and eastern NM) with the setting sun in annular eclipse, scattered storm clouds possibly, more likely a lot of altocumulus and virga with clear patches and isolated CBs. Further west, for anyone reading this, would say clear skies (at 7 p.m. Mountain, 6 p.m. Pacific) from central NM across northeast AZ, southern UT and most of NV, with advancing higher cloud in northern CA for eclipse viewing. Was hoping to get down to Utah but couldn't fit the trip in, oh well ... I saw a total eclipse in 1970 (Virginia Beach) and that one was awesome, not annular but the Moon covered the disk, full corona and prominences, and lasted several minutes. This one, I can't quite imagine as it won't get totally dark and corona probably won't show, perhaps faintly? There is enough of a ring of sunlight around the edge that it probably gets semi-dark (in totality, it becomes about as dark as ten or fifteen minutes after sunset, birds start singing, stars and planets become visible, and I noticed quite a temperature drop at mid-day on that occasion, it was in March so not all that warm in the sunshine). There's an odd rippling effect of light and shadow right before the total phase, and you see a "diamond ring" effect as the last sunlight winks out between lunar mountains on the edge of the display.

I hope you have a chance to get out towards Lubbock to see the sunset version, Paul, realize the logistics make it a bit of a scramble. Here in Vancouver we're expecting cloud and showers, unless we get a break, all I am going to see is the dull late afternoon turning a bit darker, we have about 60% coverage of the sun's disk (around 6 p.m. local time here). Too bad because every day this week has been clear or almost so.

Awesome pictures from this trip, guys, especially the Artesia storm.

Edited by Roger J Smith

Posted

So Paul, Jimbo has promised to buy an American football helmet and pads, to venture out into the hail. I hope you'll remind him for me and I expect photos. lol rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Great stuff Guysgood.gifgood.gifgood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Nice work Paul

Lovely photos team.

The bulk of tour 3 landed 3.50pm emerged from emigration at 5.50 at whih point our luggage had given up going round and round and was neatly stashed together in the hall. Temps 88f on landing.

We were delayed slightly because when Dan collected his case he found that although it was identical to his in every way,it was actually full of ladies clothes and not his clothes. It would seem that his case may well be with the lady that belongs to the clothes and she was on a connecting flight to San Fransico, Hey ho He is now awaiting the retirn of his case.

As for Jimbo he won a $50 bet to eat a large table spoon of dried chillies his rear end might resemble that of a gorrilla this morning.

Look forward to the tour starting

Tom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

WoW! amazing photos during a high pressure...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Fantastic images *drool*

Oh yeah, xtra large pizza.

I think they needed a bigger table to put it on. Holy £$^!

Edited by stevofunnelcl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Amazing pics guys!!! Superb!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

HeadcornWx's final blog of the tour:

http://forum.netweat...se-2012-day-10/

Thanks for all the updates Nick, it's been fun following them smile.png

Can we keep the blog going on your behalf fella?

Jimbo

Posted

Can we keep the blog going on your behalf fella?

Jimbo

If you're up for doing a storm chase blog between the guests that would be cool - I can setup a shared one for people to edit?

Posted

Although I didn't chase with the NW guys this day we did manage to catch one of the many landspouts for the cell that rolled in from west of wichita :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

If you're up for doing a storm chase blog between the guests that would be cool - I can setup a shared one for people to edit?

Yep that would be great mate, let us know when done

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Fantastic images Paul, I'd be more than happy with cloud structure, anything else would be a major bonus! Great end to the tour :)