Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Reports & Pictures Chase Day 12 - Tx Panhandle

Paul Sherman

Posted

Defintaley in my top 20 for Chases this one. Probably the best Mesocyclone and Double Mesocyclone I have EVER Seen.

Started in DFW With a long trip NW To Amarillo, I targeted just west of Amarillo in the hopes that a Supercell or two could pop up in front of the New Mexico Storms over the Mountains. At 5pm a Tcu was building to our West so we went about 25 miles west of Amarillo to a little place called Adrian, the Supercell of the day literally went up above our heads, small hail was falling as this little LP Cell was getting going. At 630pm there were 2 cells that were on a sparring match tranferring energy between each other, Storm Motions were very hard to decipher so I went back 12 miles to Vega and we sat East for about 90 minutes watching the two Storms fight it out, I knew one would ultimately win in the end and so it was the Northern Storm killed the Southern Storm stone dead and a full blown Classic Supercell took shape in front of us about 12 miles to our West. The Storm started to drop a Wall Cloud and great Mesocyclone structure with a Cinnamon Swirl effect. The Supercell then decided to move South at a snails pace. It then went Tornado warned at around 815pm and numerous Funnel clouds were noted, then at about 839pm a Cone Tornado rapidly developed and hit the ground, we got video of this. We then went West on the Service road and then the fun really began, I knew we could not beat it to the Southern Road so took about 1 Mile of Golf Ball Sized Hail, the roads were sheet ice, I overdid the turn and spun 360 degrees and somehow ended up pointing South, over the overpass we went and then out of the hail to sit under the most Incredible Mesocyclone I have ever seen, the bears Cage and Hail were advancing down the road to our position with a Wall cloud overhead, we went south again this time to stop and witness a Double Mesocyclone from another Cell Merger.

Finally the MCS To the west caught up to our Supercell and everything lined out so we let the barrage hit us North of Hereford. Ate at Applebys with Paul Knightley and Helen Rossington and swapped stories on an incredible Chase.

Videos will be uploaded in this thread.

Regards

Paul S

Posted

Two reported tornado sightings yeaterday near Adrian, TX. Yesterday sounded an absolute blast of a chase day, keep 'em coming.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

I think I am going to jump out my window cray.gifargh! Happy for you guys though......

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Well done Paul. I can feel the excitement this end.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Congratulations on a great chase team 3, top 20 of Paul's chases is saying something too - given how many days he has under his belt.

Look forward to the video and pictures, gutted I didn't stay up late to watch the stream when things finally got interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

And another video - this one from Jim. Some bad language in here!!!

Wow Paul, great video, size of that hail is unreal, scary to be under a cloud with structure like that!

Btw - Loving that Jessie J remix. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

wow that chase was deadly 360 degree turn lol,thats better than twister the movie hahaha

i say it was amazing to feel the energy from that supercell too :>)

Posted

Outrageous. What fun, sorry I missed it live. Now really want to see some of the stills from this storm. biggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather, Thunderstorms

Great Video everyone. What a great start to your tour. Sadly I dozed off and missed this on the stream last night. Will be watching later.Enjoy!

Cheers

Nick

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Sounds like a brilliant chase. I'll watch the videos later when I'm not on my work internet :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Was a brilliant chase. We watched the storms initiate and go through some many different phases. Some times they struggled but patience paid off. Driving on large hail is like trying to walk on marbles and I nearly lost it on the same corner that Paul went 360on.

I have more video ffotage of the storm but time last night was tight.

Tom

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Just goes to show what can happen in the space of a hour or so..Looked for a moment that the storms initiating in New Mexico where gonna fade away into just 'average' thunderstorms..patience paid off for you with some 'disgusting' rofl.gif looking structures and spectacular hail.. Nice control on your 360° Sterling Sherman..!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Bearing in mind this is my first attempt with DSLR, here are 3 of my pics. First one is the wall cloud just before the cone nado dropped. It was down and rain wrapped before i could catch it on camera, but sure someone else has. Other two are nightitme lighting shots. DaveLp, i set to infinity and back a touch but still a bit out of focus.

post-5491-0-85177300-1337691815_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-21898700-1337691868_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-25037300-1337691901_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms.

Cool video Dan, was that your first ever day storm chasing?

Yep, in the US anyway - I was going to say I've done some back home but that no longer counts! good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

Bearing in mind this is my first attempt with DSLR, here are 3 of my pics. First one is the wall cloud just before the cone nado dropped. It was down and rain wrapped before i could catch it on camera, but sure someone else has. Other two are nightitme lighting shots. DaveLp, i set to infinity and back a touch but still a bit out of focus.

Nice work for first time, flapping in a storm night time SLR shots Jim. The two blurred shots look like a bit of shake as well as not quite in focus, how were they taken? (tripod, remote release, f stop, ISO, which lens etc?) The infinity focus and back off a smidge is variable depending on the lens, sometimes takes a bit of experimenting - it's worth doing some test shots in daylight when it's a bit calmer so see how much of a smidge you need.

Ian

Posted

post-5491-0-85177300-1337691815_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-21898700-1337691868_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-25037300-1337691901_thumb.jp

Great effort Jimbo. Infinity on your Lens may not be where we thought it was. Always difficult if there is no proper focus markings. First thing I would do is have a practice in daylight.

Set the focus to where we thought it was and take the picture. See what happens When you find the exact spot I would suggest a trip to walmarts for a bit of tippex. Once you have the spot then a tiny dab of tippex on the focusing mechanism. (Don't forget to put a tiny dab on the lens as a fixed point). All you need to do then is match the dots at night and all should be well.

Alternatively during the storm look through the viewfinder and focus the camera on the furthest point you can see. There is normally a beacon or light somewhere on the horizon. Try to get one of those dots as sharp as possible.

Remember night shots need to be on a tripod. (Your shots look like they were taken hand held of using the window of the car as there is some lens blur [Movement]) Night shots need to be rock steady

If you are going to crop in or try to enlarge the lightning the process will add some distortion.

Always try to keep the lens at its widest setting, It is easier to focus .

Finally always check your shots after you have taken them, not just trust they are ok. A quick look at the back of the camera will show if they need better focusing.

Keep at it, they will get better.

Great storm, what a start to the tour. You need to eat more chilli flakes! biggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Nice work for first time, flapping in a storm night time SLR shots Jim. The two blurred shots look like a bit of shake as well as not quite in focus, how were they taken? (tripod, remote release, f stop, ISO, which lens etc?) The infinity focus and back off a smidge is variable depending on the lens, sometimes takes a bit of experimenting - it's worth doing some test shots in daylight when it's a bit calmer so see how much of a smidge you need.

Ian

Great effort Jimbo. Infinity on your Lens may not be where we thought it was. Always difficult if there is no proper focus markings. First thing I would do is have a practice in daylight.

Set the focus to where we thought it was and take the picture. See what happens When you find the exact spot I would suggest a trip to walmarts for a bit of tippex. Once you have the spot then a tiny dab of tippex on the focusing mechanism. (Don't forget to put a tiny dab on the lens as a fixed point). All you need to do then is match the dots at night and all should be well.

Alternatively during the storm look through the viewfinder and focus the camera on the furthest point you can see. There is normally a beacon or light somewhere on the horizon. Try to get one of those dots as sharp as possible.

Remember night shots need to be on a tripod. (Your shots look like they were taken hand held of using the window of the car as there is some lens blur [Movement]) Night shots need to be rock steady

If you are going to crop in or try to enlarge the lightning the process will add some distortion.

Always try to keep the lens at its widest setting, It is easier to focus .

Finally always check your shots after you have taken them, not just trust they are ok. A quick look at the back of the camera will show if they need better focusing.

Keep at it, they will get better.

Great storm, what a start to the tour. You need to eat more chilli flakes! biggrin.png

Cheers Guys,

Was on tripod and remote, but gusty inflow. Settings were ISO200, F5.6 and 4 second exposure as lightning kicking off all over the place, so thought 30 seconds or bulb would be too much. Wasn't there for long so didn't have time to ask around before we had to escape the hail again