Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The North Of England Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l

Hopefully some alright weather for us until the end of next week ... Little rain but not no rain, a bit of sunshine but overcast never too far away, temperatures peaking into the low 20's or mid-late teens.

Perhaps tapping off towards average as we head through the latter end of the week

Posted

It's looking really good for us Northerners! drinks.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apart from certain areas tomorrow, a fantastic start to September seems to be in-store for England, Wales, Southern Scotland and Ireland (excluding the far North) with the Azores ridging in. It's also very nice to see that humidity won't be too high and with the winds being light meaning even if temperatures only manage the high-teens/low twenties, (as they did today) it'll feel rather pleasant, lovely and warm (as it did today blum.gif ).

I am - personally - very pleased.

However, I feel sorry for the far North of Scotland and the Shetland Isles, which looks like experiencing gusts of up to 60mph and heavy rain accompanied by temperatures of just 11-13c, it'd likely feel like an early November low pressure system. sad.png For the northern parts of NI It shouldn't be as bad, with temperatures holding up in the mid-teens (14C-17C) and it'll be less windy than in N Scotland the Shetland Isles, though windy enough to make it feel much cooler than the forecast temperatures suggest, unfortunately. All this will be going on in the far North whilst the rest of the country basks in the pleasant conditions. It's a shame, it'll feel like the depths of Autumn at times in the areas I mentioned (N Scotland in-particular).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ukmaxtemp.png

(I'd generally advise to add 1C-3C to these projected temperatures, as per). I'm attending my cousin's wedding on this day (Saturday) and the function suite has a huge open balcony that overlooks Blackpool sea (Hilton Blackpool) so we're all very pleased at the current weather projections. smile.png

Could be even warmer if the ECM came off: drinks.gif

ecmt850.120.png

Lovely output from the EMS too, possibly up to 30C in places.

Another nice outlook here, lovely and warm:

Rt850m5.gif

It'll be interesting to see if those hot FI charts come to fruition, the week ahead looks lovely for the most of us but it seems mid month a an impressive heatwave could be possible (obviously still FI at the moment). September has proved to be really special and interesting these past few years and this one seems to be following suit. Check this out, 32c-33C possible (FI, I know):

ecmt850.240.png

POSSIBLE RECORD BREAKING HEAT?!

Bring it on! good.gif

Edited by Slowpoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Wishing I was in northern Scotland right now..

POSSIBLE RECORD BREAKING HEAT?!

Bring it on! good.gif

Don't think that was ever really likely but even warm weather is looking like it's going to pot for the north, progressively cooler model runs.

Edited by Interitus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Could get rather cold again for our regions tonight. I imagine as usual the coldest will be around Shap, but I think parts of west Yorkshire, along with the Cheshire plain could get very cold tonight. My guess is the coldest around 1-2C, widely around 6-7C

Posted

Today is probably going to be far, far cooler than forecast the max so far is 16.9c despite the sunshine.. quite windy, but still..

Edited by Aaron

Posted

A predominantly cloudy day here with overcast skies by evening and drizzly rain ever since, so a rather damp end to the day. Tomorrow looks a damp squib here, Cumbria will remain stuck under the weak front meaning lots of of drizzly rain and low cloud and temps average - so not a great prospect.

What was looking like a decent weekend, now looks a rather dull affair here. Saturday will probably bring alot of cloud and drizzly stuff which will be slow to clear, we may see some bright weather but nothing compared to what much of the country will enjoy and the low pressure system gathering up steam out to our west looks to want to inch its way in more quickly than anticipated meaning Sunday could for the NW end up a rain wind fest with much more cloud invading the country than expected preventing the potential very high maxima that could occur - watch those projected temps come down for Sunday as the low pressure advances quickly - it is a vigorous low with a very marked cold front once this clears through it will feel very autumnal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Temperatures possibly only just into double figures midweek next week here. An early sign of things to come perhaps??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ol3

Posted

Anyone noticed how windy it's been today? It seems to be getting worse.

Gusting 45mph here help.gif

Posted

As TWS mentioned, there have been some really interesting cloud formations around recently, such as these ones I captured with my iPhone tonight

11tbcao.png

Sadly, the picture doesn't do them the greatest justice, but they looked like lenticular clouds

One another cloud that passed over look very odd too, it was partly illuminated by the sun and 'everywhere' in general looked very orange.. shame I didn't capture it, looked like a front or something (nothing was forecast though)

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Cloudy today.. some sunshine earlier.. can see clear skies to my SE. Next two days look sunny and warm. I think it's impossible to get 'cloudless skies' here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

That sun is very very strong for September!!!

Posted

While not exactly 'disappointing' I would've thought we'd get higher temperatures than there's been in this spell.

It has been quite windy and often patchy cloud though.

Anyway 21.9c yesterday and 21.4C today

Posted

It was a very slow start to the day with low cloud only slowly clearing at noon. The afternoon did see some sunshine and it was certainly humid and quite clammy before the cloud rolled back in just before dusk.

Tomorrow should start of dry and bright, but I am expecting it to quickly cloud over here unfortunately with sporadic outbreaks of showery rain before lunchtime ahead of the cold front which will bring some quite heavy bursts later in the day and a much cooler feel as it sweeps through overnight. I don't want to say it but today could well end up the last 'proper warm feeling day' of the year for these parts, I'm not expecting a repeat of last late september and by October though high teens even very low 20's maxima can still be easily achieved even in the Lake District, there is no denying the fact that the summery warm feeling that you can still get in September is never felt by October.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Although we've seen the end of summer and we are into the first month of the meteorological autumn, September can still produce very warm and sunny conditions making it feel like high summer. a few of you guys seem surprised by this? It happens just about every year :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Hopefully it will be a decent winter, cant be worse than last year

Posted

Squeezed one more dry day here, just as well as I have baled my last bit of straw combined yesterday.

There have been a few spits of drizzle and only brief sunny patches today. Windy too.

Posted

Started off dry and sunny this morning but come dinner lots of rain...you know that fine rain...soaks you through

Away with the summer clothes....out comes the jumpers and wellies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

You guys in SW of region, looks very wet through cheshire gap tomorrow especially morning, not being picked up by GFS, I am in the worst spot

Edited by Snow? norfolk n chance

Posted

I think i will get a job as a brolly salesman..quite a bit of money to be made me thinks...

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

OK this weekend, but today rain most of the time, with sudden short torrential sessions. Everything sodden, rotting and fungal.

A thin bedraggled rain drenched cock pheasant walks around the garden.

The only cheer is from Slowpoke's duck with those gorgeous eyes. Always give me a smile..

Can anyone see any hope of a dry spell this week?