IGNORED

The North Of England Regional Discussion

A.J

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Some great vid and photos, come on if you had the snow and you took photos, upload them to here, we all want to see them!!

Posted

So far this "event" is just reminding me why it's not worth getting remotely excited in the NE unless there is some Easterly in the wind direction. ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

So far this "event" is just reminding me why it's not worth getting remotely excited in the NE unless there is some Easterly in the wind direction. tease.gif

It's October- chill! Northerlies can easily provide and so can North Westerlies at times. Of course anything from NNE to ESE is much more likely to provide snow, but this is October, not only would a straight on easterly be modified lots by the warm sst, we would have similar weather to Monday-Wednesday.

October 26th 2012, snowier than any day in January 2012 :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

So far this "event" is just reminding me why it's not worth getting remotely excited in the NE unless there is some Easterly in the wind direction. tease.gif

Bah humbug! Howay man Nick it's still interesting weather all the same! lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Heavy hail giving another covering, just need the -8 850s to push a little further south west to get some proper snow i think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

The radar is looking juicy now as the showers are running more North-South, so we should see them coming onshore.

Posted

It's October- chill! Northerlies can easily provide and so can North Westerlies at times. Of course anything from NNE to ESE is much more likely to provide snow, but this is October, not only would a straight on easterly be modified lots by the warm sst, we would have similar weather to Monday-Wednesday.

October 26th 2012, snowier than any day in January 2012 biggrin.png

The date is immaterial. Fact is it is rare to get a decent result here unless there is an Easterly element. I'm just saying that today (and the radar backs it up) is reminding me of that fact. :S

Bah humbug! Howay man Nick it's still interesting weather all the same! lol

Just being realistic. Is anything but blind, baseless optimism now a case of "bah humbug"? I guess no one saw the smiley on my post.fool.gifrofl.gifacute.gif

The radar is looking juicy now as the showers are running more North-South, so we should see them coming onshore.

Radar has been all over the place with lots of false readings - hard to tell what IS coming TBH!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

The date is immaterial. Fact is it is rare to get a decent result here unless there is an Easterly element. I'm just saying that today (and the radar backs it up) is reminding me of that fact. :S

Just being realistic. Is anything but blind, baseless optimism now a case of "bah humbug"? I guess no one saw the smiley on my post.fool.gifrofl.gifacute.gif

There is a wind is more NNE from now until after midnight, so it should turn more showery, albeit more marginal.

Posted

From a N/NNW breeze there has been a heavy sleet shr for 30 mins, and some snow here for 20 mins. There has been slight accumulations in parts of Tyneside and Derwentside. The radar looks very good atm with a trough in E Scotland and a lot of shower activity. Sure, the Cheviots and Highlands take a lot out of Northerlies, but this is very promising.

If this was an easterly right now, we would have low cloud and drizzle. Fact is we do not, so I disagree with the date being 'immaterial' as anything with a more sea element would be more conductive to further modification. I understand your point but it was a proven fact we don't get as much during northerlies- it's just that in late October, we aint getting snow of any other source.

Posted

Radar has been all over the place with lots of false readings - hard to tell what IS coming TBH!

lol aye OK point taken (in response to my last post). Although I am just glad that we have a small taste of winter. Last year was abismal up here and I had over rated expectations which made me very depressed!!

Edited by Wishful-Thinking

Posted

There is a wind is more NNE from now until after midnight, so it should turn more showery, albeit more marginal.

Indeed. Uppers, dewpoints and thicknesses rise from now on so it's all about getting some heavy convection. Should be fun. I'll be watching the radar all night whilst raiding my (virtual) opponents on FIFA :D

! I agree with you here, it's hard to string a sequence to see where the showers are moving as it seems to have data from a few hours ago interspersed every now and again!

Posted

I feel with a Friday night at home in Leeds and snow potentially so near I may need to go for a drive and get some video! Anyone any ideas about my best route? Would head to York on A64 and then either A64 towards Scarborough, up towards Pickering or Across towards Driffield. Any advice appreciated!

Cheers

BB

A few years back before I moved to Grimsby we went towards the North York Moors via Pickering to find the snow. My advice would be to take care as the roads over the moors get very slippery very quickly. Have fun though,we did.

Posted

We had about 20 minutes snow around 6-30 which gave us a dusting and a bit such as on grasses and car tops remains,temperature at one stage fell to 0.2c but is currently 0.4c

Posted

I know it is possible... but in direct N'lies the NYM is the place to be.

Don't even mention last year!! I'm only just starting to recover psychologically.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

places like Filey, Bridlington, Scarborough, Whitby, Robin Hood bay, Redcar and Newcastle will prob gonna get pounded by wintry weather overnight tonight. I wonder where Backtrack is?

I'm here but I came back off my weekend break in Scarborough on Monday.

4.4C here, clear skies have just arrived and as a result, the temperature is rapidly falling thanks to much cooler air aloft.

Don't think we'll get an air frost though. And I am very doubtful of a frost. The wind is breezy at the moment gusting at around 12mph, far too strong for a frost to develop, and most likely too strong for any notable temperature drop once we hit the 3C mark.

Posted

I've just checked the raintoday radar and there is some very beefy stuff heading down the eastern side of the UK. I really hope we will have lots of opportunities this winter at radar watching. I can see quite a few places will get a nice suprise by the morning.

Posted

I know it is possible... but in direct N'lies the NYM is the place to be.

Don't even mention last year!! I'm only just starting to recover psychologically.

Haha yeah it was a head mash like wasn't it. But looking ahead lets hope this year proves to out-do November 2010! (all digits are crossed as I type)

Posted

I've just checked the raintoday radar and there is some very beefy stuff heading down the eastern side of the UK. I really hope we will have lots of opportunities this winter at radar watching. I can see quite a few places will get a nice suprise by the morning.

I know, I am at a party and checking my phone and glued to this forum lol It is very addictive!

Edited by Wishful-Thinking

Posted

I think a direct Northerly does produce around here but the reason why things were a little dry(apart from the band of rain/sleet which was eventful but it was not true convection as the skies were just slate grey) is that the upper winds in Scotland were NNW'ly and showers don't just turn in the other direction straight away once the upper wind flow changes. We are in a true Northerly right now and the radar seems to suggest this with showers heading into the Northumberland regions.

It is ashame we got a mild sector to contend with BUT if the lower winds stay as they are(a NW'ly/NNW'ly) and with darkness then we may still get away with it, but if they switch to a NNE'ly or worse a NE'ly then you can forget about lowland snow sadly.

Posted

Any chance of Thundersnow?

Our local weather forecast earlier said that thunder tonight was a distinct possibility so you never know