Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reactive paint on roads to show low temperatures

Coast

Posted

I've just been reading an article on my second favourite forum about a group of Dutch artists who have collaborated with a Dutch road builder to put 'glow in the dark' markings on a test stretch of road.

Glow-in-the-dark road markings will become a reality in a small corner of Europe from next year after a bunch of Dutch artists got the country's biggest road builder interested in their clever paint. The test-bed stretch of road in southern Holland will also feature a reactive paint covering the tarmac that reveals snow-flake graphics when the temperature drops below a certain point to warn motorists of possible ice danger.

Glow%20roads-L.jpg

It could even get used over here, given we're being subjected to the same mass street-lamp switch-off. A survey done by Halfords (no, we're not sure either) released Monday showed that all but one of England's 27 county councils have either turned off or are dimming up to a million street lamps, starting as early as 8pm in some areas, and lasting until 5 to 5.30am.

http://www.pistonhea...p?storyId=26585

What a amazing idea and so simple, like a lot of good ones are. I wish I had thought of that!!

Glow%20roads%202.jpg

Edited by Coast

Posted

Not sure how relevant this is any more - 95% of cars have temp displays and ice alerts based on them, so not sure how easy it would be to justify the extra cost of special paint?

Posted

Of course, it doesn't stop drivers who ignore it and plough on at top speed either!

Posted

Interesting article Coast. I am finding that as I get older my night driving vision is not what it was, and have often thought some sort of reflective paint/covering on kerbs would be useful, though I suspect the cost would be prohibitive.

'Pinch points ' and artificial chicanes on main roads are the bane of my life, particularly in poor weather. I can understand their usefulness on quiet side streets and in the vicinity of schools etc, but they seem to spring up on relatively fast roads around here. Speed bumps/ramps are another curse, as I find myself temporarily blinded by oncoming headlights. Nothing safe about that in my opinion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Of course, it doesn't stop drivers who ignore it and plough on at top speed either!

Any more than real snow does?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Hers something that may surprise you they dont have cats eyes in the roads here where i live..driving in fog at night is a huge problem once out of the city as even the motorways dont have them and the roads aren't lit either.

Posted

That is suprising CM. Cats eyes are probably one of the best inventions ever in terms of road safety and an absolute boon on winding country routes which are often unlit. The A21 from the M25 to Hastings is a journey I quite often make, and in darkness cats eyes are an invaluable aid to driving.