Hot?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, historically in West Yorkshire. 198m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything really
  • Location: Saddleworth, historically in West Yorkshire. 198m asl

Oh no,i would have walked up if i had known, we got a bit of a pasting but it had started to melt, i heard the roads were closed but i thought that was because of trees falling as well!

April 2012 was such a weird cold snap .. based on the fact that if it happened in January ... we would have experienced one of the more notable falls!

To be honest, February 2012 and April 2012 can almost compete with each other! Although February 2012 was certainly perhaps more Wintry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

April 2012 was such a weird cold snap .. based on the fact that if it happened in January ... we would have experienced one of the more notable falls!

To be honest, February 2012 and April 2012 can almost compete with each other! Although February 2012 was certainly perhaps more Wintry.

Yes - nearly as deep in April as feb, 3 inches in feb - 2 and a half in April - still the best April event i have ever seen though.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

The April snowfall of 2012 brought incredible drifting to Scouthead as you may remember, this happens usually.

Lydgate on the other hand looks more like Val D'isere in the Winter after a heavy snowfall with a bit of wind with it!

I forget how lucky it actually is to live here ...

I forget how marginal 2008-09 really was, it is amazing how different some members have views on that particular winter. Some say it was an almost non event.

Of course, if I lived just 7 miles away in Manchester, it would immediately wipe out December 08 and the many brief incursions we had in January 09.

Salford in feb 09, 18 hours of very light drizzly on and off sleet followin a quick half an inch and gone job on the sunday, and a dusting on the thurs - yet a massive dumping 8 miles east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Surprisingly the temperature has only risen to -0.5C as the precipitation has moved over, currently light snow with a slight dusting of snow developing on top of the frost- now just need to get some of the heavier stuff over here! It does look like the heavier stuff will pass to the east of here, although it also seems to be associated with more marginal temperatures (hovering around the 0.7 mark at South Shields).

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

The temperature in Leeds is soaring according to NOAA :/ Despite places east and west both being colder, including coastal towns such as Liverpool? Surely this can't be right?

As I just said, still temps of -1.9 here with dew point of -2.2 here 17 miles from Liverpool....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Temperature here is pretty stable, not rising really.

Posted

As I just said, still temps of -1.9 here with dew point of -2.2 here 17 miles from Liverpool....

The temperature in Liverpool I'm not doubting as it's similar to the places around it. But the Leeds temp just doesn't make sense, it's 1c here compared to -1 or -2 in places pretty much to the north, east, south and west.

Edit: gone back down to 0 now at least :)

Edited by Snowy Liverpool

The temperature in Liverpool I'm not doubting as it's similar to the places around it. But the Leeds temp just doesn't make sense, it's 1c here compared to -1 or -2 in places pretty much to the north, east, south and west.

Edit: gone back down to 0 now at least smile.png

Main precipitation now about an hour away, even living on the highest hill in Merseyside I expect cold icy rain/sleet at best, would love to be proved wrong though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Seems to have turned to a mix of snow and freezing rain now (implying a temperature inversion with sleet aloft falling into below-freezing temperatures), could well make things pretty icy tomorrow. I had about 80% snow cover ten minutes ago, now it's nearer 60%.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Main precipitation now about an hour away, even living on the highest hill in Merseyside I expect cold icy rain/sleet at best, would love to be proved wrong though!

i live wigan town centre and the drizzle we had tonight as turned the whole place white like an ice day it looks like its bee snowing out there now the fog as lifted

i live wigan town centre and the drizzle we had tonight as turned the whole place white like an ice day it looks like its bee snowing out there now the fog as lifted

Latest Met Office Update has light snow by 3am, I hope they are right. Temps still -1.6 here with a -1.9 dew point I think its all to play for. Going to give it another 90 minutes with a couple glasses of wine before bed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Well, time for bed.. radar showed precip moving over but nothing at all fell.. lazy.gif

Posted

Light to moderate snow here for about half an hour with a light cover. Doesn't look like it will last long looking at the radar, but at least we caught the heavier band. Second fall of the season after the October Northerly. Time for bed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

7.4c here yes 7.4c. just stupid temperature differences need I say more

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Haha met office prodict a max of 5c today, well it's 2c above that now.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

How disappointing, its like we got a rain shadow because the precipitation missed us.

Snow did fall for all of 10 minutes a while ago but that was a shower that made it over the Pennines.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Started off in the minus and was still below freezing when I came home from work at 2am. Currently RAINING here at 297m.

Posted

YEP RAIN - and the UKMO 0z is garbage as well, GFS is reasonable although not much room for error, GEFS pretty solid with about 2/3rds flatlining at or below -5 uppers for a good long spell.