Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Second ice day here. Fantastic hoar frost building up. Pity it's about to be washed away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Sad im missing the hoar frost at home. Im back on Saturday in the Midlands, just as Spring sets in. laugh.png

I am missing hoar frost and rime as well, although was better in Stone, 0.0C max today after -5.9C min, Dec a very good month for inversion highs, but pants for uppers, warm seas and snow

Posted

We got down to a very respectable -7.6C by half past five this morning. It was still below minus six when I first tried (unsuccessfully!) to get into my car a couple of hours later.

Can I ask everyone what exactly constitutes an ice day? Is it an entire day whereby the temperature doesn't exceed 0.0C or does it only apply to daylight hours? Elsewhere on the forum some people are celebrating an ice day even though there are still several hours to go?

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

OO-er missus. Just stepped outside my place of Work (in Solihull) to find there were strange white bits floating gently downwards in the air! Not sure if it's proper snow but beggars can't be choosers eh?

Predictably it's happening when I can't do any lampost watching. Gah!

Posted

We got down to a very respectable -7.6C by half past five this morning. It was still below minus six when I first tried (unsuccessfully!) to get into my car a couple of hours later.

Can I ask everyone what exactly constitutes an ice day? Is it an entire day whereby the temperature doesn't exceed 0.0C or does it only apply to daylight hours? Elsewhere on the forum some people are celebrating an ice day even though there are still several hours to go?

Bish

not sure as my max is 0.0C, -1.8C now

Posted

Reports of snow in thw SW thread, heres hoping (false hope obviously)

p.s second solid day of hoar frost here, trees still white

Yes I was thinking that before the 2010/11 cold spells, hoar frost had become a rare sight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

For about an hour or so this morning there was a continuous fall of very fine ice crystals, seemingly from a clear sky. At first I thought it was rime falling from the trees but even in completely open areas, with the nearest trees 300m away, the crystals were still visible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

This morning looked amazing hoar frost everywhere I drove! Made me feel kinda festive as I decorated! Tomorrow, two trees, one gutter, bring it on Mother Nature.

you never know !!w00t.gif

Taken from this site about famous British Winters

Serious snowfall events happen rarely, but when they come, the UK normally isn't prepared!

One such winter was 1947. From January 22nd to March 17th, snow fell every day, somewhere in the UK! The snow accumulated quickly, causing real problems. The temperatures rarely rose more than a degree or 2 above 0! Several of these snowfalls where of 60cm or more, and depths of level snow amazingly reached 1.5m (150cm) in Upper Teesdale and the Denbighshire Hills. Across the UK drifts of more than 5 metres in depth blocked roads, and affected traffic. The armed services were brought in, to drop supplies to people in danger, trapped in their homes due to blocked roads and railways.

The strangest thing about 1947, was the first part of the winter was very mild, with only 2 failed cold spells...The weather in fact, turned unseasonably mild for a time. On the 15th January, the temperature in Leeming, North Yorkshire, didn't fall below 11.7c, and rose to 14c the next day in parts of Norfolk, Herefordshire, and Flintshire. This soon changed.

Posted

Rained all day here and heavily too!

I can't help but feel though like this is an old fashioned winter, like the ones of the 70's and 80's, there's just something about it???

Posted

I can't help but feel though like this is an old fashioned winter, like the ones of the 70's and 80's, there's just something about it???

I feel its going to be a môdern winter, with raging zonality and just the odd northerly toppler,

looks like 4 dry days coming up, then wednesday horrendous, dont expect I will get lucky and rain all night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

I know what you mean. Until the last decade or so, my recollection is that proper snow and ice never really arrived until January - it rarely snowed in December.

Fingers crossed that that's where we're heading with this current pattern of weather!

Posted

I feel its going to be a môdern winter, with raging zonality and just the odd northerly toppler,

looks like 4 dry days coming up, then wednesday horrendous, dont expect I will get lucky and rain all night

optimism mark, plenty of time yet for things to change

Posted

Rotten weather today...rotten outlook for the next week as well. Nothing that interests me at all. Beyond that, don't know and couldn't care less at this point in time.

Best do something else for a bit then...

See you back here soon!

Something interesting will come along again soon in the weather I'm sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Don't think there will be no more cold weather until after Christmas? :-(

Posted

Rotten weather today...rotten outlook for the next week as well. Nothing that interests me at all. Beyond that, don't know and couldn't care less at this point in time.

Best do something else for a bit then...

See you back here soon!

Something interesting will come along again soon in the weather I'm sure.

Sun-Tues look decent days, but then the usual, dry tues night, wet wednesday, dry wed night, and most likely wet thursday, autumn arrived now, and next weekend looks balmy even for môdern era standards