Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sound and how the brain reacts to it?

The watcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Well, this is a very rare subject, I haven't seen many people who have the same condition as me.

http://www.biology-online.org/biology-forum/about18829.html

What is it all about?

Well, if I'm sitting in a quiet room and or environment and I hear certain sounds (for example, someone rustling paper, turning pages of a book, moving things around, typing on a keyboard, etc) I start to get this strange tingly feeling on my back/shoulders, I then start to relax. The sensation then begins to move throughout the body, in particular the head where my hair feels like it is rising or standing on end. It is like a euphoric state, almost (although without having tried any) taking a drug that gives a lovely sensation. It almost paralyzes me, not to the point were I cannot move, but because the sensation is so relaxing and good feeling that I don't want it to stop. If I move or a louder more aggressive sound interrupts the sensation disappears. It is like some sort of inner massage of the nervous system.

I would like to know if anyone on here has the same condition. It is completely different to any other relaxation method I have ever known and only seems to work if someone else is creating the sound/movement.

Posted

So, after seeing the link I posted, I got some of the sounds that relax me off youtube, it worked very well. Put me to sleep last night and I slept like a baby to the sound of "Sorting office supplies" and "turning pages of a textbook".

God I'm strange. pardon.gif

Posted

Are those particular sounds that relax you sentimental memories?

Particular smells relax me, in a way that would be difficult to describe, smells that remind me of insignificant yet powerful and pleasant sensations of the past.

The oddest one...yea it is really odd...is cow manure on fields. I'm taken back to childhood when I lived in Switzerland surrounded by fields and I get the kind of euphric feeling of relaxation like you describe!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

Hmm interesting.

Just went to that biology link above and then found a link from this to youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/adreambeam

Well have to say that every vid that she put up as a "relaxation" trigger produced tingling but in an extreme opposite way for me. biggrin.png

Notably the crisp packet crunching and whispering was for me the equivalent of nails being dragged down a blackboard so I am thinking that I may have been wired incorrectly at birth. Maybe I can still get a refund for incorrectly supplied goods.

Will have a further search for an antidote.

Posted

Its good to see others come out of the woodwork.

I don't think it is a sentimental thing to me, just the way my brain interacts with certain sounds. It must release a calming chemical of some sort. It would actually come second to the most sensual of sex to me in feeling that good, maybe even better. Sometimes it can be so intense that I would fear moving because I don't want it to stop.

Posted

Fascinating. Like Styx I react in a similar way but to certain smells rather than sounds. The most evocative/provocative for me being the smell produced by rain on city streets after a lengthy warm dry spell. Another is the smell of brand new CD booklets opened for the first time. Sometimes these can produce an almost hallucinatory state of bliss. Especially when I've forgotten to take my anti-psychotic meds.